• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Yet 20 other players who played 15 or more tests all managed to do better than Viv in that time, including 3 other West Indians, and 9 of them who all played more than 20 tests averaged 50+. Not the best credentials for someone who is vying for a spot in the all time best team, in my opinion.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv for me is no.2 after Bradman. His conversion rate of fifties to hundreds is indeed disappointing, but for me to put someone second only to Don, that someone needs to have something totally unique about his batting without losing much in terms of output of runs. You don't get Viv's destructive ability with any other top/middle order batsman with similar numbers. Also, he's ***y.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yet 20 other players who played 15 or more tests all managed to do better than Viv in that time, including 3 other West Indians, and 9 of them who all played more than 20 tests averaged 50+. Not the best credentials for someone who is vying for a spot in the all time best team, in my opinion.
Well, that's what a very long career does tbh. He was pretty much unmatched from his debut till about 1984. Remained a very good but slightly inconsistent batsman till the late 80s and then declined at the end.

Also, you'll find segments of any great batsman's career where others did well. No one with a career 15-20 years long remains No.1. or even in the top 5 in the world all throughout.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A Knighted XI

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton

Sir Don Bradman
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Everton Weekes

Sir Garfield Sobers (c)
Sir Clyde Walcott (w)

Sir Richard Hadlee
Sir Alec Bedser
Sir Andy Roberts
Sir Curtly Ambrose

Missed out: Botham, Hall, and Worrell the closest.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Been done to death but a lefties XI

Hayden
Smith*
Sangakkara
Pollock
Lara
Sobers
Gilchrist+
Davidson
Akram
Johnson
Verity

Pollock and Lara interchangeable in the batting order.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well for me, Viv for the majority of his career, was not a great batsman in 74 matches from 1983 onwards, he averaged less than 45 and failed to convert a lot of starts to hundreds.
An average of 45 in the 80's is actually very good, an average of 45 would put you in 15th place for the decade. In the 2000's Mike Hussey's was in 15th position. Also there where some terrible wickets in the 80's where batting was a lottery, that would explain some the starts that where not converted into hundreds.

80's batting averages

2000's batting averages

Richards was one of only 6 batsmen to score 1000 run at a better average greater than 50 in the 80's.

My memories of Melbourne wickets in the 80's was they where very wet on day 1 with the ball swing around all over the place. Day 5 even often worse with bouncers coming through at ankle height. All the Australian wickets (bar possible Adelaide) where bad for batting. Even though wickets in a Australia where in poor condition, Batting averages in Australia where higher than most countries.

Personally I think some of 80's bowlers get over-rated and batsmen get under-rated.

JBMAC

State Captain
An average of 45 in the 80's is actually very good, an average of 45 would put you in 15th place for the decade. In the 2000's Mike Hussey's was in 15th position. Also there where some terrible wickets in the 80's where batting was a lottery, that would explain some the starts that where not converted into hundreds.

80's batting averages

2000's batting averages

Richards was one of only 6 batsmen to score 1000 run at a better average greater than 50 in the 80's.

My memories of Melbourne wickets in the 80's was they where very wet on day 1 with the ball swing around all over the place. Day 5 even often worse with bouncers coming through at ankle height. All the Australian wickets (bar possible Adelaide) where bad for batting. Even though wickets in a Australia where in poor condition, Batting averages in Australia where higher than most countries.

Personally I think some of 80's bowlers get over-rated and batsmen get under-rated.

Not ALL chum .Played at The Gabba early 80s and a truer wicket I am yet to play on . Mitchell(Snr) had a knack for producing good cricket wickets , pacy on first day and into early next, then fairly true bounce before some breakdown and then a spinners paradise. As I have said before you can not go by stats alone

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Messing around with an ATG ODI XI coz why not?

Tendulkar
Watson
V.Richards
Ponting
AB DeVilliers
Dhoni
Kapil
Wasim
Warne
Garner
Donald

bagapath

International Captain
after all the other ATG XIs are done... here is a left over ATG XI that can probably beat many other teams on most days

Justin Langer
Geoff Boycott
Everton Weekes
Younis Khan
Michael Clarke
Andy Flower (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Ray Lindwall
Jim Laker
Waqar Younis
Courtney Walsh

cnerd123

likes this
I've got a challenge for you all - select a squad of 16 that you would back to play in a 5 test, 7 ODI and 3 T20 series to save Earth from a touring party of Aliens who want to destroy us.

If we win or draw on aggregate, Earth remains safe. If we lose, we all die.

The players you pick will be plucked from whatever time you choose using a time machine, transported to the current day, and will attend a 1 year training camp to prepare them for this series.

16 players for all 15 games across all three formats. You can not name any more for reserve; if someone is injured over the course of this series, you have to make do with whoever is left. You can select whoever you want to be a part of the backroom staff - there is no limitation on that.

Red

Orright.

My teams

Test

Matt Hayden
Len Hutton
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose

ODI

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Don Bradman
AB DeVilliers
Keith Miller
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Murali
Curtly Ambrose

T20

Adam Gilchrist
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
AB DeVilliers
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Keith Miller
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose

Rest of squad-
Imran Khan
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Only one spinner in the squad of 16?

Should mention that you will be facing a wide range of conditions over the 15 games. Greentops, roads, minefields, sticky dogs, hard and bouncy decks...

Red

Fair enough. I'd be happy with just one spinner plus Sobers. Maybe I should pick the durable Murali over Warne then.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea. If Warne breaks down your squad is a bit imbalanced.

I am still thinking about my squad for such a series. ATM I have got:

Bradman
Sobers
Tendulkar
Warne
Murali
Imran Khan
Steyn
McGrath
Gilchrist
Wasim

As locks.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Bradman
Sobers
Tendulkar
Warne
Murali
Imran Khan
Steyn
McGrath
Gilchrist
Wasim
Test XI
-----------
???
???
Bradman
Tendulkar
???
Sobers
Gilly (+)
Warne
Wasim
Steyn
McGrath

ODI XI
------------
Tendulkar
Gilly (+)
Bradman
???
???
Sobers
???
Imran (*)
Wasim
Murali
McGrath

T20 XI
-----------
Tendulkar
Gilly (+)
Bradman
???
Sobers
???
???
Warne (*)
Wasim
Murali
McGrath

Thinking Viv, Dravid, Miller, Sehwag, Hobbs and one of Healy/Knott/Russel or MSD to round off the squad.

Red

I picked Hayden because he can easily slot into the shorter form teams if needed. Would rely on AB to open in a test if one of the openers were out.

AB gives me a reserve keeper.

AB and Kohli can play tests if needed.

In hindsight, would drop Kapil from the squad and include Murali. Still gives me a squad of six quicks including Miller. Also means Murali and Warne can play together on the right wickets.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar
Amla/Kohli
Bradman
Kallis/Sobers
De Villiers
Gilchrist
Hussey
Wasim/Shakib
Warne/Murali
Hadlee
Steyn/McGrath

I'm thinking this is a pretty good 16, would of liked to have got Viv in there somewhere though. Procter would be gun.

Last edited: