• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's dangerous to take someone's opinion seriously if you consider them partial at the first place. If I think Ian Chappell is unnecessarily partial towards aggressive batsmen (I do FTR), I won't attach any importance to his opinion on the 'aggression' aspect fo the game. For example, when he mildly praises a defensive batsman like Kallis, I'll take it as just that - mild praise. A dangerous thing will be to think Kallis should get brownie points because in spite of being a defensive batsman he's got mild praise from Chappell. I used to make this mistake; but I later understood that I shouldn't attach more importance to a specific comment just because of the commentator's known bias. Someone was making the point that when GIMH said 'Sangakkara is a fine player' in the other thread he got more likes than other people who also praised Sanga. It's apparently because GIMH seldom praises Sri Lankan players. If that's true, that's most unfortunate and a dangerous thing to do (attaching more importance to it).

It's the same with kyear's point with Wisden and Viv vs Hammond. You say Wisden is partial to English players. But what if Wisden is also partial to attackign players? What if Wisden attaches extra importance to peer opinion etc.? What if Wisden is partial to players whose colorful personal life can make good stories? All these points can go in Viv's favor.

All good but I think you are confusing Burgey for GIMH...

And they are both gonna hunt you down for it :p

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's the same with kyear's point with Wisden and Viv vs Hammond. You say Wisden is partial to English players. But what if Wisden is also partial to attackign players? What if Wisden attaches extra importance to peer opinion etc.? What if Wisden is partial to players whose colorful personal life can make good stories? All these points can go in Viv's favor.
Hell no. Off the field, Hammond was Viv before Viv was Viv. A broody Viv too.

harsh.ag

Hammond doesn't have a child with an Indian actress, so doesn't get brownie points there.
That's not fair. Indian actresses couldn't afford to be seen having a white/half-white baby at that time. Viv's skin tone got him that :ph34r:

fredfertang

Per Eddie Paynter

"He liked a shag did Wally"

And he picked up that does of syphilis in the West Indies

So I don't think you can make any assumptions about offspring

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Per Eddie Paynter

"He liked a shag did Wally"

And he picked up that does of syphilis in the West Indies

So I don't think you can make any assumptions about offspring
Can you put together an XI of well known cricket shaggers Fred?

- Hammond
- Imran
- Warne
- Garner

Flem274*

123/5
Who is the best Indian spinner, and who is second best?

I've always picked Kumble because he's been the main man during my time, but all those other blokes were pretty good too.

cnerd123

likes this

I've always picked Kumble because he's been the main man during my time, but all those other blokes were pretty good too.
I go for Bedi as best, followed by Chandrasekha or Prassana. Even Subash Gupte may come before Kumble.

Flametree

International 12th Man
According to Phil Edmonds' wife the whole England team of the 80's wasn't exactly shy about relieving their, er, boredom on tour....

Daryl Tuffey left evidence of his exploits...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

You can pick 2 among Kumble, Bedi, Gupte, Prasanna, Chandra. It's close.

Harbhajan and Mankad should come after that lot.

fredfertang

Can you put together an XI of well known cricket shaggers Fred?

- Hammond
- Imran
- Warne
- Garner
Mike Gatting lost the England captaincy for letting his todger do the talking, so he's earned a place in such an eleven. I'd nominated Fred Trueman as well, although according to his most recent biographer he was nothing like as promiscuous as some made out

This particular side, in my dreams anyway, is one I would skipper

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
So far we have then.

- Richards
- Gatting
- Sobers
- Hammond
- Miller
- Botham
- Imran
- Warne