Page 199 of 233 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 3481
Like Tree210Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Yeah, I like the team too.

Knott through to Ambrose gives a tail that is probably weaker than most peoples selections as it misses out on Gilchrist, then Imran or Hadlee at No.8. However, there is something inherently appealing about Marshall, Lillee, and Ambrose bowling together, especially with Knott behind the stumps.

I now hold the view after a fair amount of reading and gathering of opinions that SF Barnes typical speed when he had the new ball was around the 120kph mark. I would hesitate in picking a first change bowler any slower than that, but at around the 120 kph mark the combination of the 'magnus effect' and his finger-spun leg-breaks would prove to be extremely difficult to any batsman from any period that you care to mention.

I'm therefore gravitating toward Knott-Marshall-Warne-Lillee- Barnes as my combo.
    Anecdotally can't beat the combo of Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne and is my second choice for the best attack.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Martin Crowe takes his hand at the pantheon of the 50 greatest: Martin Crowe picks the greatest 50 cricketers of all time | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Players who missed out: Ray Lindwall, Alan Davidson, KS Ranjitsinghji, Fred Spofforth, Steve Waugh, Dale Steyn, Joel Garner, Harold Larwood, Mike Procter, Shaun Pollock, Rohan Kanhai, Kumar Sangakkara, Wilfred Rhodes, George Lohmann, Monty Noble etc.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Ken Barrington not making the cut either. A little strange, considering Herbert Sutcliffe makes the cut (as he should).

I don't find it strange from Crowe. Players such as Barrington and Boycott don't seem like the type of players that would attract Crowe especially when he says the following "A player who gets in has to reek of richness, genius, the extraordinary, excellence, the X factor. He must inspire reverence". Good list IMO.

State Vice-Captain
    Hobbs and Sutcliffe formed arguably the greatest opening partnership of all time
    Interesting view. Sanga and Steyn ineligible for the list as they're still playing btw.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I don't find it strange from Crowe. Players such as Barrington and Boycott don't seem like the type of players that would attract Crowe especially when he says the following "A player who gets in has to reek of richness, genius, the extraordinary, excellence, the X factor. He must inspire reverence". Good list IMO.
    I get that. That's why I asked "Why Sutcliffe then?"

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    I get that. That's why I asked "Why Sutcliffe then?"
    Barrington doesn't really have any memorable performances which come to mind while Sutcliffe has more than a handful, like that 161 at, I think, Brisbane ... Had lots of great innings on stickies, too.Such things generally colour peoples opinions.

Some who didn't make the cut are: Steve Waugh, Andy Flower, Ray Lindwall, Joel Garner, Greenidge, Alan Davidson, Virat Kohli etc. Davidson never seems to get selected in such things
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 11-04-2014 at 04:56 AM.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Crowe also picked Wasim over Imran in the first XI which has never ever made sense to me, yet that's what all the experts seem to do. Baffling.

Nice selections overall from him though
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 11-04-2014 at 05:02 AM.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    personally love the list and his team at the end.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Crowe also picked Wasim over Imran in the first XI which has never ever made sense to me, yet that's what all the experts seem to do. Baffling.

Nice selections overall from him though
    Awta
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Awta
    Nah, there are ample reasons to go for Wasim over Imran as a pure bowler. After a great peak, Imran never got around to be the spearhead of the attack again after injury, even though he still had stellar figures to show for this period anyway. So perhaps that impression has been left in everyone's head that as a pure bowler, Wasim had a better career than Imran. This is not totally incorrect either. Plus, Wasim did produce more magic than Imran on the pitch. I think even Smali would admit to that.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    All the greats pick Wasim in their XI and he is rated the best by those he played against (Lara, Donald, Tendulkar, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    I'd like to see Davidson and Lindwall in there too. But I guess there are only 50 spots. Kumble the obvious one who could make way.
    I'll never fear you, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I'd like to see Davidson and Lindwall in there too. But I guess there are only 50 spots. Kumble the obvious one who could make way.
    Grimmett and Bedser I would say. Linwall and Davidson in for them.

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Grimmett and Bedser I would say. Linwall and Davidson in for them.
    Bedser has to stay as he was Englands premier bowler for too many years.

Can't see why Dravid makes the list since Crowe bypassed Boycott and Barrington. Lindwall in for Dravid.
    Last edited by watson; 11-04-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Thread Information