• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great montage harsh, but Joel Garner's stats are superior to every other bowler in all of ODI history (in relative terms of course).

ER = 3.09
Overall ER for Garner's period = 4.00
Difference = 0.91

Average = 18.84
Overall Average for Garner's period = 29.60
Difference = 10.76

Compared to Wasim for example;

ER = 3.89
Overall ER for Wasim's period = 4.45
Difference = 0.56

Average = 23.52
Overall Average for Wasim's period = 32.37
Difference = 8.85

If Viv Ruchards is the first batsman picked then Joel Garner has to be the first bowler picked.
Agreed dude, but this is strictly a WC XI :)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For a world cup XI, Warne > Murali.

The cricinfo choices suck balls. No Bevan? WTF. And why in the blue hell in ramiz raja an option as a batsman? :crazy:
Yeah, Warne comes very close to Murali in the WCs. But he just played 2 WCs compared to Murali's 5. Warne was better than Murali in '96 and '99 of course.

It's the ICC's website, not Cricinfo, but the point stands. Plus, not having Symonds as an all-rounder makes no sense, nor do the absence of Bevan, Hussey, and Pollock.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey was a sack of **** in WCs but he did have some severe injury situation right before the 2011 tournament and there was a whole ridiculous saga where it looked like he was removed from the squad, Greg Chappell in all his wisdom said he should retire, and then a few days later he was back in the squad again. Was all very strange and can't have helped him at all.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey was a sack of **** in WCs but he did have some severe injury situation right before the 2011 tournament and there was a whole ridiculous saga where it looked like he was removed from the squad, Greg Chappell in all his wisdom said he should retire, and then a few days later he was back in the squad again. Was all very strange and can't have helped him at all.
Haha I remember just before the 2011 India vs Australia quarterfinal, Hussey gave an interview saying Zaheer Khan is a master of reverse swing and he's virtually impossible to play after the 30th over. Then in the match, Hussey scores a golden duck and gets out to Zaheer in the 34th over or so. It was a lol moment. :p

watson

Banned
Agreed dude, but this is strictly a WC XI :)
OK cool....

WORLD CUP XI
01. Adam Gilchrist - 6th highest run scorer, and because Dhoni features no where
02. Sachin Tendulkar - 1st highest all-time run scorer
03. Ricky Ponting - 2nd highest all-time run scorer
04. Viv Richards - 4th highest Average, 3rd highest Top Score
05. AB De Villiers - 50+ Average, 100+ SR
06. Andrew Symonds - 2nd highest Average
07. Lance Kleusner - 1st highest Batting Average, 8th lowest Bowling Strike Rate
08. Richard Hadlee - 7th lowest Average, 3rd lowest ER
09. Brad Hogg, 1st lowest Average and SR for a spinner, 2nd highest wicket-taker for a spinner
10. Michael Holding - 2nd lowest Average, 4th lowest ER
11. Glenn McGrath - 6 lowest Average, 1st highest wicket-taker

ATG ODI XI
01. Adam Gilchrist
02. Sachin Tendulkar
03. Brian Lara
04. Viv Richards
05. Allan Lamb
06. Michael Bevan
07. Kapil Dev
08. Shaun Pollock
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Joel Garner
11. Muttiah Muralitheran

Last edited:

morgieb

Ended up with

Tendulkar
Gilchrist+
Ponting
Richards
de Villiers
Waugh*
Klusener
Dev
Warne
Muralitharan
McGrath

Seems like some of you are being too regular ODI centric. My ATG ODI XI would look quite different, this is purely on WC performances (else Warne and Waugh wouldn't go particularly close to this lineup).

OverratedSanity

All your teams suck btw. Kallis? Meh. Abbas? Great player, but didn't do anything to be named in an ATG WC XI. Hadlee over someone like Garner, who won the 79 final for his team? :huh:
And what has ABdV done to get a mention here? Let him play some awesome knocks in the WCs to come, which he will, before being considered.

Also, the keeper has to be Gilchrist. Dhoni played an awesome knock in one final... Gilchrist did it in 3 in a row. No way can he be left out. And Warne should be the spinner. Won the 96 and 99 semis on his own and produced a great spell in the 99 final too. For WC teams, performances in big games have to be given massive weightage.

Attachments

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I was basically picking the best ODI XI, not really a WC XI. Will take another shot.

OS - you have one bowler too many. Can do with one extra batsman.

OverratedSanity

OS - you have one bowler too many. Can do with one extra batsman.
No such thing :p But yeah, it's probably too much. But I'd rather have an extra bowler who can bat than Kallis anyday. I just picked people who owned world cups with big performances, and while the balance may be slightly off with too many frontline bowlers, these are the iconic players who'll deliver on the biggest stage imo.

I got the order slightly wrong, though. Klusener good enough to bat No.6 and Dev should be at 7.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
You dont need 5 frontline bowlers + klusener + 3 parttimers for 50 overs.

I think I picked

Sachin
Jayasuriya
Ponting
Richards
Symonds
Imran (*)
MSD (+)
Klusener
Dev
Wasim
Murali

I can see the arguments for Gilly and Warne tho. In which case I could sub out Jayasuriya for De Silva as well.