• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

cnerd123

likes this
Sobers will, in all likelyhood, not be needed to bowl. He's there purely on his batting ability. If Marshall, McGrath, Imran, Warne and Murali can't get 20 wickets, idk who can. With Imran, Marshall and Warne the tail is fairly strong too.
Seems like an overkill tho. 4 ATG bowlers should be enough; and Sobers would be a nice stock/support bowler to them. I'd drop one of the bowlers and bring in an extra batsman. Also frees up the option of dropping Gilly for a better keeper (even tho Gilly was pretty good and the idea of him striding it at 7 after an ATG top 6 is pretty tempting).

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
ODI XI with the condition to pick one player from each of the XI World Cups (1975-2015)

Brian Lara (1992)
Sachin Tendulkar (2007)
Viv Richards (1975)
Zaheer Abbas (1979)
Michael Bevan (1996)
MS Dhoni (2015 Expected)
Lance Klusener (1999)
Wasim Akram (1987)
Joel Garner (1983)
Muttiah Muralitharan (2011)
Glenn McGrath (2003)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pick someone who actually performed well in the world cups you choose imo

Sachin Tendulkar (2011... insane that you could pick any of 1996, 2003, 2011. Best batsman in 3 world cups)
Adam Gilchrist (2007)
Viv Richards (1979)
Virat Kohli (2015) (c)Obviously :ph34r:
Clive Lloyd (1975)
Dean Jones (1987)
Lance Klusener (1999)
Wasim Akram (1992)
Shane Warne (1996)
Joel Garner (1983)
Glenn McGrath (2003)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Sachin Tendulkar (2011... insane that you could pick any of 1996, 2003, 2011. Best batsman in 3 world cups)
Adam Gilchrist (2007)
Viv Richards (1979)
Clive Lloyd (1975)
Dean Jones (1987)
Lance Klusener (1999)
Wasim Akram (1992)
Shane Warne (1996)
Joel Garner (1983)
Glenn McGrath (2003)

Lara was pretty awesome in the 1992 Edition, I am sure...

a massive zebra

International Captain
I can agree with that, although having had the pleasure where Holding, Gower and Vishy are concerned I'd replace them with Stan McCabe, Gilbert Jessop and Harold Larwood
How about this team to give them a good game?

Majid Khan
Colin Milburn
Zaheer Abbas
Martin Crowe
Stan McCabe
Reggie Spooner
Gilbert Jessop
Learie Constantine
Harold Larwood
Bob Taylor+
Bishen Bedi

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
A team made up of players from the past that I would have liked to see:

Victor Trumper
Lionel Palairet
K.S. Ranjitsinhji
David Gower
Gundappa Viswanath
Archie Jackson
Frank Woolley
Barton King
Ray Lindwall
Jack Blackham+
Michael Holding
Another one would be Sydney Barnes

a massive zebra

International Captain
Interesting.
Here is an enthusiastic pen portrait of Lionel Palairet, written by H.S. Altham in A History of Cricket (1925):

H.S. Altham said:
Of Lionel Palairet I confess I cannot write with any pretence to judicial impartiality. As a boy I spent several Augusts not far from Taunton, and never, if I could help it, missed a county match; and of all the great batsmen I have been privileged to watch and admire, none has ever given me quite the sense of confident and ecstatic elation as did Palairet in those days. Whenever I came on the ground he made 50, often 100; once I followed him to the Oval, and was rewarded with an innings of 112 against Lockwood and Richardson at their best, for which even the sternest critics were beggared for epithets. A perfect stance, an absolutely orthodox method, power in driving that few have equalled, and withal a classic grace and poise, unruffled even in adversity. Even now I can recapture something of a thrill when I recall that gorgeous off-drive, with a flight like a good cleek-shot, swimming over the low white railing of the Taunton ground. From the day of which I first saw it, his Harlequin cap took on the colour of all hearty ambition!

JBMAC

State Captain
Excellent choice, though I would like to see what all the raving about Don Tallon was about
I'll rise to your bait here fred. Tallon was impo "The Prince of Stumpers". He was the first to stand up to fast bowling even with an attack with Lindwall in it. His eye and superb concentration allowed him to take some super catches. He was aperfect foil for all spinners and could "read" a wicket.(ie how it would perform. His intelligence allowed him to pass this info to his bowlers to take advantage of such info. He was a magic stumper, quick as hell. Having seen him play many times I would definitely rate him as the best I have ever seen.......then would come Grout, Engineer, Maclean etc etc

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll rise to your bait here fred. Tallon was impo "The Prince of Stumpers". He was the first to stand up to fast bowling even with an attack with Lindwall in it. His eye and superb concentration allowed him to take some super catches. He was aperfect foil for all spinners and could "read" a wicket.(ie how it would perform. His intelligence allowed him to pass this info to his bowlers to take advantage of such info. He was a magic stumper, quick as hell. Having seen him play many times I would definitely rate him as the best I have ever seen.......then would come Grout, Engineer, Maclean etc etc
How about Oldfield? I know he played with a lot of great spinners, but 78 catches to 52 stumpings is ridiculous. He also had 399 catchs to 263 stumpings in first class, so it can't have been all about the bowlers.

watson

Banned
Speaking of Bert Oldfield.....

Oldfield was the neatest stumper of them all

By Kersi Meher-Homji

I was surprised reading Sheek’s post on Monday of the best Australian teams selected by Cricinfo and its readers, with wicket-keeper Bert Oldfield’s name missing from the list.

Australia has produced wicket-keepers of world renown – Oldfield, Don Tallon, Wally Grout, Brian Taber, Rod Marsh, Ian Healy and Adam Gilchrist.

Although I never saw Oldfield keep or bat, Oldfield remains special to me because I had the pleasure of chatting with him.

I was new to Sydney and was walking on Pitt Street in 1976. I stopped as I saw the sign “Bert Oldfield’s Sports Stores”. Not THE Bert Oldfield, I wondered.

I entered the shop and saw a big photograph at the entrance. It was the picture of Walter Hammond cover-driving, everything in place – even the handkerchief in his left pocket. And behind the stumps was Bert Oldfield with cat-like anticipation, matching Hammond in grace and poise.

Was it 1976 or had I travelled in a time-machine to 1920s? Inspired, I rang him the next morning to fix an interview. When I said that I was from India, he sounded delighted.

“Yes, India – the land of Ranji and Duleep,” he exclaimed. “Ranji was before my time but I played against Duleep. He was a stylish batsman with a charming personality. I think you are charming too, to ring me up.”

I was greeted at his Sports Store by the jockey-like figure of Bert Oldfield, 82, standing straight, his blue eyes smiling as he welcomed Duleep’s countryman.

He invited me to a nearby café. It was an unforgettable experience. The hand that had caught 78 batsmen and stumped 52 in 54 Tests (victims including Jack Hobbs, Hammond, Herbert Sutcliffe, ‘Patsy’ Hendren, Frank Woolley…) was putting sugar in my coffee cup!

We discussed the 1975-76 Australia–Windies Test series. What did he think of Rod Marsh as a ‘keeper?
“I wouldn’t call Marsh a wicket-keeper. He jumps about too much for my liking. Taber was a better wicket-keeper.”

I wondered how Bert would have coped against the menacing pace and bounce of Jeff Thomson and Dennis Lillee. He read my mind and said, “Ted McDonald and Jack Gregory were just as fast. To ’keep to Jack Gregory was extremely difficult.”

His face softened. “In a match at Nottingham, I noticed that Jack Gunn had the habit of standing outside the crease when playing. He had only to miss a ball and I would stump him. But he was so well-set that he did not miss a ball.

“I arranged with Gregory that he should pitch the third ball of his next over outside the leg stump. But he forgot all about our little plan and the fast ball on the off-side resulted in four byes!”

“I consider Hobbs as the greatest batsman of all time. He was a true gentleman. His wife was seldom in good health and he was always with her in her hours of need.”

What about Don Bradman?

“He was extraordinarily good even at a young age. When he was brought to Sydney he had no cricket gear or shoes. I received an SOS to lend him clothes from my Sports Stores. The only clothes that fitted him were mine!”

When World War I broke out, Oldfield enlisted and sailed to Egypt. In France in 1917 he was blown up by a German shell. Then a Bosche shell burst near their stretcher killing his three mates while he was buried and remained unconscious. “For six months I suffered from shell-shock and was invalidated to England.”

At that time the Australian Imperial Force was playing cricket in England. One of Gregory’s express deliveries gashed ‘keeper Ted Long’s face. Another ‘keeper had to be located pronto and thus was pitch-forked little Bert Oldfield into the strong AIF XI of 1919 as a stumper. The rest is history.

After the interview I shook the hands described by experts as the safest from 1919 to 1936. Even 74 years after his retirement, Oldfield’s record of 52 stumpings remains unbroken although some modern wicket-keepers have played twice as many Tests.

Bert Oldfield died a few months after our get together. But his beautiful wife Ruth was very appreciative of the sentiments expressed in my article. “I found your interview on Bert so beautifully written that it made the information read as a fascinating human story. You are certainly a gifted writer and I’ll treasure your article”, she wrote.

That’s one letter I’ll always cherish.

Kersi is an author of 13 cricket books including The Waugh Twins, Cricket's Great All-rounders,Six Appeal and Nervous Nineties. He writes regularly for Inside Cricket and other publications. He has recently finished his new book on Cricket's Conflicts and Controversies, with a foreword by Greg Chappell.

Kersi Meher-Homji | The Roar

Last edited:

J_C

U19 Captain

Adam Gilchrist (2007)
Viv Richards (1979)
Clive Lloyd (1975)
Dean Jones (1987)
Lance Klusener (1999)
Wasim Akram (1992)
Shane Warne (1996)
Joel Garner (1983)
Glenn McGrath (2003)
Tendulkar (1996)
Hayden (2007)
Crowe (1992) (c)
De Silva (1996)
Dravid+(2003)
Symonds (2003)
Klusener (1999)
Akram (1992)
Gilmour (1975)
Warne (1999)
McGrath (2003)

Richards who? :ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar (1996)
Hayden (2007)
Crowe (1992) (c)
De Silva (1996)
Dravid+(2003)
Symonds (2003)
Klusener (1999)
Akram (1992)
Gilmour (1975)
Warne (1999)
McGrath (2003)

Richards who? :ph34r:
That XI doesn't follow the rules.

But welcome to CW. Is your avatar from Gangs of Wasseypur? (Manoj Baipai's death scene)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
A match-up between subcontinent and others during teh last 40 years.

Subcontinent
Virender Sehwag
Sunil Gavaskar
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Kumar Sangakkara+
Imran Khan*
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan