• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Teja.

Global Moderator
Post 1 Jan 2010 XI (The Noughties XI)

1. AN Cook
2. DA Warner
3. KC Sangakkara
4. HM Amla
5. S Chanderpaul
6. JH Kallis
7. AB de Villiers (wk)
8. MG Johnson
9. RJ Harris
10. DW Steyn
11. HMRKB Herath

12. VD Philander injury cover for RJ Harris and will also get priority on seaming tracks.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jardine and Knott for May and Ames
I like what footage I've seen of May too much to not include him.

Happy with Knott over Ames, but I feel like Ames balances the team better with Botham in it. Strengthens the batting.

How do you think Ames and Knott compare as batsmen?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How do you think Ames and Knott compare as batsmen?
It's a very difficult comparison. Ames has much better stats and was clearly more consistent but didn't do so well against the very best, but obviously I never saw him play - Knotty however I did see, many times, and if you're in a hole his courage and unorthodoxy would be much more likely to get you out of it

Red

Just after 2.30 in that vid, Knott gets 7 off one ball- ran one, then two overthrows, then four more overthrows.

Assuming it's not the end of the over, should Knott be at the non strikers end next ball?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Super-quick ranking of Indian test batsmen:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Virender Sehwag
5. VVS Laxman
6. Vijay Merchant
7. Vijay Hazare
8. Gundappa Vishwanath
9. Mohammad Azharuddin
10. Mohinder Amarnath
11. Dilip Vengsarkar
12. Sourav Ganguly
13. Navjot Sidhu
14. Polly Umrigar
15. MAK Pataudi
16. ML Jaisimha
17. Sanjay Manjrekar
18. Gautam Gambhir
19. Kapil Dev

the big bambino

International Captain
Jimmy Amarnath and Lord Snooty not the most terrifying opening attack
Probably better than Waite and a hobbling Stan McCabe at the oval in 1938. Bradman's greatness as a batsman is unquestioned but as a selector and administrator he pulled some real boners. Dropping Grimmett for Ward, not picking Miller, picking one injury prone fast bowler for a tour of England, picking only 2 bowlers for a timeless test, failing to listen to player's concerns over touring schedules and payments and thereby triggering WSC...yep he authoured some classic boners alright.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Time Lawyers XI

Jeff Stollmeyer (West Indies)
Pelham Warner (England)
William Bruce (Australia)
Jack Mason (England)
*Douglas Jardine (England)
Clive Van Ryneveld (South Africa)
Learie Constantine (West Indies)
+Dave Richardson (South Africa)
Charles Townsend (England)
Buster Nupen (South Africa)
John Traicos (South Africa and Zimbabwe)

Carrying the drinks

Cameron Burge (Australia)

Couldn't find any from the sub-continent

Flem274*

123/5
not having Hutton or Sutcliffe opening is a travesty. Chuck in Compton in the middle order too. Nice fast bowling outfit but your spinners look a little nonexistent.
5 x Pace bowlers is probably a bit much, so Laker/Underwood/Verity for Larwood. Otherwise no major issues apart for a minor tweak - KP at 4, and Gower at 5. Not convinced that Hammond is the best player of fast bowling in the world, but again not a major issue.
No Hutton or Laker are big omissions. 6 pacers is overkill. Hammond easily fills the allrounder role.
cbf picking the entire pile of really old school players England need to pick to keep up with some of the other countries

andmark

International Captain
Through my admitted ignorance I have never been able to appreciate Imran Khan (both as a cricketer and politician!) and subsequently see him as being overrated compared to his fellow Pakistani swing bowlers and pace bowlers in general. What performances should I seek out to correct this ignorance, I'm sure, on my part?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
All Time Lawyers XI

Jeff Stollmeyer (West Indies)
Pelham Warner (England)
William Bruce (Australia)
Jack Mason (England)
*Douglas Jardine (England)
Clive Van Ryneveld (South Africa)
Learie Constantine (West Indies)
+Dave Richardson (South Africa)
Charles Townsend (England)
Buster Nupen (South Africa)
John Traicos (South Africa and Zimbabwe)

Carrying the drinks

Cameron Burge (Australia)

Couldn't find any from the sub-continent
Will this team dominate? The jury is still out.

smash84

The Tiger King
Through my admitted ignorance I have never been able to appreciate Imran Khan (both as a cricketer and politician!) and subsequently see him as being overrated compared to his fellow Pakistani swing bowlers and pace bowlers in general. What performances should I seek out to correct this ignorance, I'm sure, on my part?
His bowling peak is the greatest bowling peak of any bowler post world war II (according to ICC peak ratings).

Look up his record against the best team of his time and his match winning ability

vs England in 1982, 1987 vs India in 82-83 vs WI in 1986 and 1988

Red

We should try to compile the greatest all time state/county/first class XIs. To be eligible, a player should've begun his career with that particular FC Team

NSW
Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Charlie Macartney
Steve Waugh
Bert Olfield
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Charles Turner
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
We should try to compile the greatest all time state/county/first class XIs. To be eligible, a player should've begun his career with that particular FC Team

NSW
Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Victor Trumper
Charlie Macartney
Steve Waugh
Bert Olfield
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Charles Turner
Bill O'Reilly
Glenn McGrath
KENT
1. Wally Hardinge
2. Brian Luckhurst
3. Colin Cowdrey
4. Frank Wooley
5. Les Ames
6. Percy Chapman
7. Alan Knott
8. Graham Dilley
9. Derek Underwood
10.Doug Wright
11.Arthur Fielder

I've probably forgotten someone obvious and cheated to get two keepers in, but four and a half minutes was all I could spare for the task.