Current faves XI
ATG Test XI
1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. Richard Hadlee 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath
The Alt Right - Trashing Cultural Marxism since June 2016.
He just leans on it and smoooookes it. Beautiful.
O'Reilly / Murali
Last edited by harsh.ag; 09-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.
~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~
A team for this decade..
Last edited by Coronis; 09-03-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Honestly think both DeV and Chanders would be happy to bat the other way around
Think we've had this discussion but I like it (players from history who would've been good at 20/20 but never played it)...
- Garry Sobers
- Don Bradman
- Viv Richards
- Vic Trumper
- Clive Lloyd
- Keith Miller
- Kapil Dev
- Les Ames
- Joel Garner
- Bill O'Reilly
- Bishen Bedi
On that theme, I was thinking the other day. Gayle is probably one of the best T20 openers, and certainly the best fr the W.I. If one is picking a world AT XI, not a Test XI, but an ATG world/ W.I XI, then the same way that we factor in W.G Grace's and Barry Richards FC records, or Sachin and Viv's odi records should one factor in Gayle's odi and T20 records to possible slip him in an XI over say Conrad Hunte?
Just thinking out loud.
Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2
Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4
Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2
Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3
A T20 team all born during the 1930s. I think that they would thrash any team today even without experience;
01. Conrad Hunte
02. Trevor Goddard
03. Rohan Kanhai
04. Garry Sobers
05. Ted Dexter
06. Colin Bland
07. Farokh Engineer
08. Richie Benaud
09. Wes Hall
10. Fred Trueman
11. Brian Statham
Last edited by watson; 28-03-2014 at 09:35 PM.
1. Barry Richards
2. Charles Macartney (7)
3. Viv Richards
4. Keith Miller* (3)
5. Mike Procter (2)
6. Neil Harvey
7. Learie Constantine (6)
8. Godfrey Evans+
9. Bill O'Reilly (4)
10. Sydney Barnes (1)
11. Clarrie Grimmett (5)
12th Colin Bland
- Barnes/O'Reilly/Grimmett to confuse everyone with variations and being unique.
- Procter and Miller to bowl quick, accurately and with movement, as well as hit the ball a bloody long way.
- Richards/Macartney/Richards is a powerful top 3, with Macartney being very unorthodox.
- Harvey plays the finisher role, and every T20 teams needs a slightly egocentric Victorian.
- Learie Constantine to play the Darren Sammy role, only better.
- Godfrey Evans trumps Ames or Walcott to the 'keeper role, because a more athletic specialist would be more valuable than a batsman-keeper in this line-up #SpikeyThoughts
- Macartney, Viv, Harvey, Bland all remarkably good in the field. Procter no mug either, and Constantine would probably be an outfield specialist. Specialist bowlers are a little weak in that department though, I guess.
Yeah, very nice team Dan. Like the Evans pick as he was a good attacking batsman as well as being dynamite behind the stumps. A lesser mortal simply wouldn't do with the likes of O'Reilly, Barnes, and Grimmett bowling. Jock Cameron could hit the ball a long way, and was a great stumper, so he might be in with a shout as well.
Last edited by watson; 28-03-2014 at 09:36 PM.
That being said, the one player who I'd pick in a heartbeat in these sort of speculative debates, for an ODI and 20/20 side, is Bapu Nadkarni.
Saw him once, bowling at Brabourne in the nets to who was a very young Praveen Amre ( Amre had only one weakness: genuine pace. Rest all categories, even in medium fast, he had ATG skills). Amre could not help but mis-hit the ball on attacking strokes, which for such a clean & crisp hitter of the ball, was revealing. What was more revealing, is Amre was 18, Nadkarni was in his mid 50s.
Not to mention, his economy rate in tests & FC is jaw-dropping.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)