• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

cnerd123

likes this
What is significant in terms of % may not be significant in terms of absolute numbers.
Also, comparing the difference in performance over one innings is not the same as compating the difference over the course of a series; or indeed a career.

smash84

The Tiger King
What is significant in terms of % may not be significant in terms of absolute numbers.
Also, comparing the difference in performance over one innings is not the same as compating the difference over the course of a match, series; or indeed a career.
indeed. thank you. Now please explain it to kyear2.

the big bambino

International Captain
Spinners do tend to have far worse strike rates but they can bowl that much more overs, and hence get you that many more wickets. Tiger O'Reilly had a S/R of 70 which was pretty darn good for a spinner back in the day. Warne had an excellent strike rate of 57. A strike rate around 90 isn't amazing though, yeah. Sobers and Lance Gibbs are both there.
There are strike rates and then there are strike rates. O'Reilly's would always be higher than Warne bcos he played his strongest opponent far more often than Warne did his. Sobers SR suffers bcos of his dexterity. Since he could adequately fulfil the stock bowler role his SR rises. A probably contradictory instance where hadn't he been good enough to perform the role his figures would have been better.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Straya m8

Bradman, Miller, Ponting, Chappell G, Border, Waugh S, Gilchrist, Davidson, Warne, Lillee, McGrath 12th man Ian Chappell

Bradman opens so I can fit in Border and Waugh. I'm sure he'll cope. Miller opens because I wanted to fit him in and him opening would be funny given his attitude to the game. I can't stand the Chappells' but apparently Greg was great to watch and as a bonus is an ATG batsman so that saves him. Davidson ahead of Lindwall might be contentious but I wanted a left armer in there. Almost picked Hauritz and Lyon for fun.

Ian Chappell 12th man because the idea of that **** serving his team drinks and fluffy towels makes me happy. Ian Chappell will also be the 12th man for every other side.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Poms
Gooch, Hobbs, Hammond, Gower, KP, Botham, Flintoff, Knott, Snow, Trueman, Larwood

cbf picking the entire pile of really old school players England need to pick to keep up with some of the other countries so there's some modern blokes in there. Don't tell me you don't want to see Botham and Flintoff in the same team.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
not having Hutton or Sutcliffe opening is a travesty. Chuck in Compton in the middle order too. Nice fast bowling outfit but your spinners look a little nonexistent.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Poms
Gooch, Hobbs, Hammond, Gower, KP, Botham, Flintoff, Knott, Snow, Trueman, Larwood

cbf picking the entire pile of really old school players England need to pick to keep up with some of the other countries so there's some modern blokes in there. Don't tell me you don't want to see Botham and Flintoff in the same team.
5 x Pace bowlers is probably a bit much, so Laker/Underwood/Verity for Larwood. Otherwise no major issues apart for a minor tweak - KP at 4, and Gower at 5. Not convinced that Hammond is the best player of fast bowling in the world, but again not a major issue.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No Hutton or Laker are big omissions. 6 pacers is overkill. Hammond easily fills the allrounder role.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Never given much thought to an England XI.

Hutton
Hobbs
Compton
Hammond
Cowdrey
Botham
Knott
Trueman
Statham
Snow
Underwood

Complete generational bias against the recent crop of posers and quite a long tail, but I couldn't give a monkeys.

watson

Banned
Just having a look at Gower's stats since Flem picked him for his ENG team, and noticed that he is one of few batsman that average better away from home;

Home Average = 42.85 (65 Tests)
Away Average = 46.06 (52 Tests)

However, Gower's really startling stat is against the West Indies where his Away Average is almost double;

Home Average V WI = 22.39 (10 Tests)
Away Average V WI = 43.88 (9 Tests)

Surely one of cricket's most complex and enigmatic batsman.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Super-quick ranking of Indian test batsmen:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Virender Sehwag
5. VVS Laxman
6. Vijay Merchant
7. Vijay Hazare
8. Gundappa Vishwanath
9. Mohammad Azharuddin
10. Mohinder Amarnath
11. Dilip Vengsarkar
12. Sourav Ganguly
13. Navjot Sidhu
14. Polly Umrigar
15. MAK Pataudi
16. ML Jaisimha
17. Sanjay Manjrekar

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
May
Compton
Ames
Botham
Larwood
Barnes
Laker
Trueman

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The rarely picked in an Australian All Time XI XI

Woodfull
Lawry
Boon
McCabe
Hassett
Hussey
Healy
Gregory
Trumble
Turner
Johnston

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Super-quick ranking of Indian test batsmen:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Virender Sehwag
5. VVS Laxman
6. Vijay Merchant
7. Vijay Hazare
8. Gundappa Vishwanath
9. Mohammad Azharuddin
10. Mohinder Amarnath
11. Dilip Vengsarkar
12. Sourav Ganguly
13. Navjot Sidhu
14. Polly Umrigar
15. MAK Pataudi
16. ML Jaisimha
17. Sanjay Manjrekar
You seem to have 17 players in that team.