• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasn't laughing at you, but at the suggestion that 5th bowlers need to be the ****s in ODIs (the part I had put in bold). Laughing at your point and laughing at you are two separate things.

The "Playing against other ATXIs" can be used in any way. An extra batsman might be more useful if facing five of the best Windies bowlers. Play to your strengths, that is batting. As it is, Sachin and Yuvi will not do a significantly (or at all) worse job than Harbhajan, and may even do better.

Just a look through the champion sides from WC history at their fifth bowlers:

1975 - Lloyd
1979 - Viv
1983 - Amarnath
1987 - Waugh and Border
1992 - Sohail
1996 - Jayasuriya and Aravinda
1999 - Moody
2003 - Symonds and Lehmann
2007 - Watson and Symonds and Clarke
2011 - Yuvi

Picking a bat like Raina (or someone else better if available) is better than picking Harbhajan imo.
yeah, I am thinking along similar lines

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh, your point is supported by Smali. And my posts are liked by PEWS. So, I win.

Sorry for the joke Smali :)

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
My India ODI XI:-

IN THE SUBCONTINENT

1. Virender Sehwag.
2. Sachin Tendulkar.
3. Sourav Ganguly. (*)
4. Virat Kohli.
5. Yuvraj Singh.
6. Mahendra Dhoni. (+)
7. Kapil Dev. (1)
8. Harbhajan Singh. (4)
9. Javagal Srinath. (2)
10. Zaheer Khan. (3)
11. Anil Kumble. (5)

OUTSIDE THE SUBCONTINENT

1. Sourav Ganguly. (*)
2. Sachin Tendulkar.
3. Rahul Dravid.
4. Virat Kohli.
5. Mohammad Azharuddin.
6. Yuvraj Singh.
7. Mahendra Dhoni. (+)
8. Kapil Dev. (1)
9. Harbhajan Singh. (4)
10. Zaheer Khan. (3)
11. Javagal Srinath. (2)

Sachin, Dada and Yuvi share the ten overs between them.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Wasn't laughing at you, but at the suggestion that 5th bowlers need to be the ****s in ODIs (the part I had put in bold). Laughing at your point and laughing at you are two separate things.

The "Playing against other ATXIs" can be used in any way. An extra batsman might be more useful if facing five of the best Windies bowlers. Play to your strengths, that is batting. As it is, Sachin and Yuvi will not do a significantly (or at all) worse job than Harbhajan, and may even do better.

Just a look through the champion sides from WC history at their fifth bowlers:

1975 - Lloyd
1979 - Viv
1983 - Amarnath
1987 - Waugh and Border
1992 - Sohail
1996 - Jayasuriya and Aravinda
1999 - Moody
2003 - Symonds and Lehmann
2007 - Watson and Symonds and Clarke
2011 - Yuvi

Picking a bat like Raina (or someone else better if available) is better than picking Harbhajan imo.
Bhajji has to be in the ODI team, IMO. Think he is a better limited overs bowler than Kumble because he can stop the flow of runs from one end better than Kumble. I do get your point but I would much rather have Azhar or maybe Viru top of the order doing his thing instead of Raina.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf, Pews liked your post because I punked Rand on the other thread.
Haha, I don't actually like Rand. It's probably fair to say I like her more than most people as I like a couple of her books, but her ideas just let people make straw men out of libertarians (despite the fact that Rand hated libertarians..) so I'm not a big fan overall.

I have a long history of recognising the importance of the fifth bowler in ODIs throughout this forum. I completely agree with everything weldone has said on the matter in this thread.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Haha, I don't actually like Rand. It's probably fair to say I like her more than most people as I like a couple of her books, but her ideas just let people make straw men out of libertarians (despite the fact that Rand hated libertarians..) so I'm not a big fan overall.

I have a long history of recognising the importance of the fifth bowler in ODIs throughout this forum. I completely agree with everything weldone has said on the matter in this thread.
How would you balance your world and national ATG XIs with your emphasis on the 5th bowler?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How would you balance your world and national ATG XIs with your emphasis on the 5th bowler?
If you pick a wicketkeeper like Dhoni or Gilchrist, and your fifth bowler can bat a bit like Kapil, Jaya, Klusener or Watson, I think you are set.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Here's my ATG world XI with those principles:

Sachin Tendulkar
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Zaheer Abbas
Dean Jones
MS Dhoni (+)(*)
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

smash84

The Tiger King
Here's my ATG world XI with those principles:

Sachin Tendulkar
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Zaheer Abbas
Dean Jones
MS Dhoni (+)(*)
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan
Dhoni sounds weird for an ATXI captain, maybe because he is still playing. Deserves it though I suppose.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In terms of ATG team discussions, what do people think of including Watson as an opener/5th bowler?

Watson
Tendulkar
Richards
DeVilliers
Jones
Dhoni +
Symonds
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

I'd include Symonds for his power hitting and bowling options, and especially his fielding. Symonds, Viv and AB are perfect inner ring fielders and Twatto can take 1st slip. I really rate Watson's bowling and I think he balances an ATG ODI side nicely.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Brian Lara
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Viv Richards
4. Zaheer Abbas
5. Michael Bevan
6. Mahendra Dhoni*+
7. Lance Klusener
8. Wasim Akram
9. Joel Garner
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Mine is very similar to Ankit's team - only Lara in place of Greenidge and Bevan in place of Dean.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In terms of ATG team discussions, what do people think of including Watson as an opener/5th bowler?

Watson
Tendulkar
Richards
DeVilliers
Jones
Dhoni +
Symonds
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

I'd include Symonds for his power hitting and bowling options, and especially his fielding. Symonds, Viv and AB are perfect inner ring fielders and Twatto can take 1st slip. I really rate Watson's bowling and I think he balances an ATG ODI side nicely.
Its a fine side but I would have Deano ahead of AbDV in batting order. I also would like to know what Symonds role is in the team beside 'being there at the end' Brilliant fielder no doubt, with AbDV and Dhoni in the team, I don't think the team really needs the 7th best batsman to be only the 6th best bowler - if you know what I mean.

LIke I said though, its still a fine side, just picking it at it slightly. I would prefer to go down the Dev/Cairns/Pollock type at 7 and pick whoever I thought was the best opener.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To answer it simply, I'd pick five bowlers. The fifth bowler doesn't have to be the fifth best bowler available obviously but I think in one day cricket, he has to be frontline bowler -- not a mix and match arrangement of several 'fifth bowling options' who aren't really bowlers. I'd pick Flintoff in the world AT XI to achieve this. Across AT national sides I'd be looking at Watson, Kapil, Cairns, Klusener, Imran etc batting in the top seven somewhere.

I take the complete opposite view in Test cricket -- I think it's important to have six genuine batsmen rather than thinking you can get away with having lots of players who can chip in from 6-9. In one day cricket, the fifth bowler bowls as many overs as the first though, so I think it's more important than people give it credit for sometimes to have five frontline bowlers. Batsmen who can bowl are still handy as sometimes someone has an off day or the pitch conditions dictate different bowling styles, but such players shouldn't be relied upon regularly to get through ten overs between them.