• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

cnerd123

likes this
We literally had the exact same discussion about trying to rate keepers based on keeping skills not that long ago; and it got killed off because we agreed that its impossible to rate keepers on skill unless you have seen them all; and even then amongst the top 10 or so the differences can be so minute and nuanced that it's basically down to personal preference.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
We literally had the exact same discussion about trying to rate keepers based on keeping skills not that long ago; and it got killed off because we agreed that its impossible to rate keepers on skill unless you have seen them all; and even then amongst the top 10 or so the differences can be so minute and nuanced that it's basically down to personal preference.
Orright. Apologies.

watson

Banned
It's CW. We're supposed to confuse personal preference with objective fact, and then get upset when no one agrees or understands. It's all part of the fun.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Interested in people's top 10 ODI batsmen..
  1. Viv Richards
  2. Sachin Tendulkar
  3. Michael Bevan
  4. MS Dhoni
  5. Zaheer Abbas
  6. Dean Jones
  7. Ricky Ponting
  8. Gordon Greenidge
  9. Brian Lara
  10. Greg Chappell

Really forcing myself to keep Kohli and Amla out of that list. They are pushing into that zone. Also admit a slight old time bias with inclusion of Greenidge, Abbas, Jones etc.

Edit: why does my 10 become a zero in bulletted lists?

Red

Dean Jones so belongs in these lists. Second only to Viv as an ODI #3 IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Eight players I consider ODI greats in no particular order:

Tendulkar, Lara, Gilchrist, Bevan, Klusener, M. Waugh, Hayden, Ganguly.

Gilchrist and Klusener (whom people miss out on) are amazing in the sense that their strike rates were around 100 in an era when strike rates were mostly in the 70s.

Red

Marto another guy a bit underrated as an odi batsman. Perfect player to bat thru from over 10 to 40 and score a heap of runs effortlessly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Personally, I put put Bevan as the greatest ODI batsman I have seen, so no, for me, Hussey isn't equal of Bevan. My list of 8 isn't an all inclusive list though. Just 8 players who I feel would make it to an ATG ODI player list.

anil1405

International Captain
I haven't been around in this forum for long but wanted to know opinion of how people rate Hussey here.

IMO he has stepped into Bevan's shoes and taken the game to the next level with his ability to score boundaries

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Eight players I consider ODI greats in no particular order:

Tendulkar, Lara, Gilchrist, Bevan, Klusener, M. Waugh, Hayden, Ganguly.

Gilchrist and Klusener (whom people miss out on) are amazing in the sense that their strike rates were around 100 in an era when strike rates were mostly in the 70s.
Trouble I have with Gilchrist (and similarly with Jayasuriya) is that his average is too low. And that's not irrelevant. It tells us something about him. He surely played dazzling knocks etched into people's memories. But his average tells us that he also got out cheaply more than some of the other great odi batsmen. With players like them, the dazzling knocks stay in the mind more. I might even rate Ganguly above Gilchrist purely as a batsman because of former's remarkable consistency during an extended period. He was next to Viv to all landmarks of reaching multiple of thousand runs (likes of Virat may have changed that now)