• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm pretty bored at work today...

Australia

Trumper
Lawry
Bradman
G.Chappell
Miller
Harvey
Gilchrist
Davidson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

England

Hobbs
Hutton
Ranji
May
Grace
Compton
Knott
Peel
Barnes
Trueman
Snow

West Indies

Greenidge
Haynes
Headley
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Gibbs
Ambrose

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Like those teams Red. But Ranji scored nearly all his runs at No.3 , and May clearly preferred No.4 as he averaged 58 in that spot. The only other English No.4 to average better was Barrington on 59.

Of course you could argue that it doesn't matter where top/middle order batsman bat, but I think each position in the order has different demands on temperment/technique so shouldn't be ignored.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Found the following anecdote about Bobby Peel (one of Red's selected bowlers) who must have been grateful for such a helpful captain;

Until The Headingley Test in 1981, this was the only occasion a side won after following-on. England trailed by 261 on first innings, but with the pitch getting easier by the hour, they were able to amass 437 second time round. With it being a timeless match, Australia's target of 177 looked a formality, and by the close of the fifth day they were 113 for 2. But heavy overnight rain left the pitch saturated and Bobby Peel took 6 for 67 to bowl England to a 10-run win. So convinced had the England players been that the game was as good as over on the previous evening that they had gone out on the town. Peel was in such a bad way the next morning that Andrew Stoddart, the England captain, had to stand him under a cold shower before setting off for the ground.

When big isn't big enough | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Red

Curious about something...how do people rank their nations' keepers? If you are selecting them in an ATG team?

For Australia, I'd go:

Gilchrist
Healy
Oldfield
Tallon
Grout
Marsh

watson

Banned
Curious about something...how do people rank their nations' keepers? If you are selecting them in an ATG team?

For Australia, I'd go:

Gilchrist
Healy
Oldfield
Tallon
Grout
Marsh
Just for their keeping alone....

1. Oldfield
2. Grout
3. Tallon
4. Healy
5. Marsh
6. Gilchrist

Not much between the top 3, or the bottom 3 keepers.

the big bambino

International Captain
Presuming there is little to choose in keeping skills I'd pick keepers according to their batting worth so Gilly, Healy, Marsh, Tallon and Oldfield equals, then Grout. Prefer Healy's determination at the crease and ability to score runs at a good clip to Marsh's dirty big mows over mid wicket and general whack and slather. Think Haddin is getting close to the lower end of that grouping too.

Red

Here's a task, rank the ten greatest keepers of all time based purely on keeping ability....

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
SA ODI (ignoring match-fixing for one moment)

Graeme Smith*
Hashim Amla
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers+
Hansie Cronje
Lance Klusener
Brian McMillan
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald