• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having a 90s XI without Curtly Ambrose is a criminal offence.

On a serious note, that's the only change I'll make - Ambrose for McGrath...and Wasim will bat ahead of Warne
Nah, it's not. I'd definitely include him, but criminal? No.... there were 3-4 other quicks just as good.

OverratedSanity

My selection (90s special)

1. Anwar
2. Gooch
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Inzamam
6. S Waugh (c)
7. Healy (wk)
8. Warne
9. Wasim (2)
10. Donald
11. McGrath (1)
I'd have either Dravid or Aravinda ahead of Inzi tbh. Inzi did nothing truly great in the 90s. Dravid while he played far fewer tests, did better, and de Silva had a great run in the mid 90s.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
An attempt at a fun English XI:

Hobbs
Grace
Dexter
Gower
Pietersen
Compton
Knott
Trueman
Larwood
Barnes
Snow

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Iconic/Influence XI

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Jack Blackham
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Fred Trueman

bagapath

International Captain
Iconic/Influence XI

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Jack Blackham
Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee more iconic than Richard Hadlee

Imran to bat above Blackham

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dennis Lillee more iconic than Richard Hadlee

Imran to bat above Blackham
Preaching to the converted with me there. Chose Hadlee because he meant so much to nz. Chose Imran cos he's a colossus of the game. Freddie T was first man to 300 wickets...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Influence XI:

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Frank Worrell (c)
G Sobers
Imran Khan
AC Gilchrist+
SK Warne
DK Lilliee
'Demon' Spofforth

- Worrell has to be there. The way he united the countries which represented West Indies cricket laid the foundations for a team which gave us some of the most charismatic and talented players to have plyed the game.
- More than Tendulkar, Richards was influential. Tendulkar speaks of how he wanted to bat like a combination of Richards and SMG. When you see any one from the 80s speak about Richards, they are in awe still.
- I would like Abdul Hafeez Kardar or Pataudi in there too but you can't have them all.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Why is Imran batting above Sobers when Sobers is easily in the Top 5 batsman of all-time? Nice overall team though.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, I always mess up a batting line up here or there as I focus too much on who should be there in the XI. Edited now.

While editing, I thought whether Gilchrist should be above or below Imran. I am putting Gilchrist below as he was such an attacking batsman and could bat with the tail to come up with runs. Imran was a superb batsman in the last portion of his career and there is no reason he couldn't come up with a partnership.

Similarly I am putting Sobers at 6 as being attacking, he could also come up with runs batting lower. Moreover, he did bat at 5 and 6 most of his career.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Influence XI:

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Frank Worrell (c)
G Sobers
Imran Khan
AC Gilchrist+
SK Warne
DK Lilliee
'Demon' Spofforth

- Worrell has to be there. The way he united the countries which represented West Indies cricket laid the foundations for a team which gave us some of the most charismatic and talented players to have plyed the game.
- More than Tendulkar, Richards was influential. Tendulkar speaks of how he wanted to bat like a combination of Richards and SMG. When you see any one from the 80s speak about Richards, they are in awe still.
- I would like Abdul Hafeez Kardar or Pataudi in there too but you can't have them all.
Would have Larwood for Spofforth considering his action inspired two further geenrations of ATG pacers plus bodyline. Probably have Ranji for one for Worrell/Richards.

andmark

International Captain
Influence XI:

WG Grace
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Frank Worrell (c)
G Sobers
Imran Khan
AC Gilchrist+
SK Warne
DK Lilliee
'Demon' Spofforth

Saqlain Mushtaq could've been worth a mention

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
South Africa since re-induction:

Kirsten
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
AB DeVilliers
Pollock
Klusener/Boje
McMillan
Boucher
Steyn
Donald

Depending on the pitch, switch between Boje and McMillan.

I would prefer Gibbs to Smith as Gibbs and Kirsten is a nice combination of left-right, aggressive-less aggressive. Gibbs' test average is around 40 but if you exclude the first 8 or so of the 90 tests he played, he averaged around 45.

I prefer to have Klusener/Boje rather than an extra batsman as I am not confident with Kallis as the fourth bowler. Donald-Steyn-Pollock with McMillan to back them up would be a handful for any team. Boje and Klusener can switch depending on who you feel would be better for a given pitch.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Gary Kirsten
2. Graeme Smith*
3. Hashim Amla
4. Jacques Kallis
5. AB De Villiers
6. Daryll Cullinan
7. Shaun Pollock
8. Mark Boucher+
9. Vernon Philander
10. Dale Steyn
11. Allan Donald

OverratedSanity

South Africa since re-induction:

Kirsten
Gibbs
Amla
Kallis
AB DeVilliers
Pollock
Klusener/Boje
McMillan
Boucher
Steyn
Donald

Depending on the pitch, switch between Boje and McMillan.

I would prefer Gibbs to Smith as Gibbs and Kirsten is a nice combination of left-right, aggressive-less aggressive. Gibbs' test average is around 40 but if you exclude the first 8 or so of the 90 tests he played, he averaged around 45.

I prefer to have Klusener/Boje rather than an extra batsman as I am not confident with Kallis as the fourth bowler. Donald-Steyn-Pollock with McMillan to back them up would be a handful for any team. Boje and Klusener can switch depending on who you feel would be better for a given pitch.
Smith>>>Gibbs