• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Smith for Hayden isn't a very bad option as that keeps Ponting away from captaincy. Sehwag will be there in any case because I'd like an ultra-aggressive opener with that middle-order.

If my XI lacks one thing that would be express pace - but I can't help it because Waqar/Donald/Steyn aren't as good ODI bowlers IMO. The only way Kallis can be in the ODI squad is by dropping Flintoff. But I can't bat him at places other than no. 3 or 4. That'll really mess the batting lineup. [Tendulkar/Ponting at no. 5 will both be misfits. And Lara at no. 6 will be a terrible option.]
Donald was a brilliant ODI bowler.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What I meant by 'Waqar/Donald/Steyn aren't as good ODI bowlers IMO' is 'Waqar/Donald/Steyn aren't as good ODI bowlers (as McGrath) IMO'

Pollock is irreplaceable in that team due to his batting at no. 8. That is a must in ODI, and in test too given that Flintoff isn't really a great no. 7 in test tbh. [A great no. 7 in test will be someone like Gilchrist.]

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
My team for both tests and ODIs from the Sachin era with the same batting order...

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Lara
Pietersen
De Villiers (wk)
Pollock
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Donald

Red

I reckon I'd put Kallis at #4 for this. Assuming the same line up for tests and ODIs. Sorts your 5th bowler in ODIs more than adequately while losing nothing in your batting.

Hayden
G.Smith
Ponting
Kallis
KP
DeVilliers
Dhoni
Warne
Donald
Murali
McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sorts your 5th bowler in ODIs more than adequately
The reason I'd leave Kallis out is the fact that I just wouldn't be that comfortable with his as the fifth bowler in an ODI against a team of equivalent quality to the one we're picking. He'd be fine in Tests but I'd really want a proper fifth bowler for the ODI side.

bagapath

International Captain
I reckon I'd put Kallis at #4 for this. Assuming the same line up for tests and ODIs. Sorts your 5th bowler in ODIs more than adequately while losing nothing in your batting.

Hayden
G.Smith
Ponting
Kallis
KP
DeVilliers
Dhoni
Warne
Donald
Murali
McGrath
i love smith. but i would choose sehwag over him in both tests and ODIs.

Red

The reason I'd leave Kallis out is the fact that I just wouldn't be that comfortable with his as the fifth bowler in an ODI against a team of equivalent quality to the one we're picking. He'd be fine in Tests but I'd really want a proper fifth bowler for the ODI side.
That's fair enough.
Did SA generally consider Kallis as one of the five main bowlers in the ODI teams?
Probably replace him with Cairns if I had to make a change, and give AB the gloves. On reflection, this'd work ok for this exercise...

Smith
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
AB+
M.Hussey
Cairns
Mitch Johnson
Murali
Donald
McGrath

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did SA generally consider Kallis as one of the five main bowlers in the ODI teams?
Yeah they did, and he did pretty well, but South Africa typically played against teams that were a class below the one we're selecting. Assuming the team we're picking will play against a similar standard opposition, I'd be uncomfortable with Kallis bowling 20% of the overs.

Red

I reckon I'd be pretty comfortable with Kallis bowling ten. I rate his bowling quite highly, but I can see why people would prefer 5 proper frontline bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What I meant by 'Waqar/Donald/Steyn aren't as good ODI bowlers IMO' is 'Waqar/Donald/Steyn aren't as good ODI bowlers (as McGrath) IMO'
Waqar does not meet criteria.

I was trying to come up with a 2nd XI to play against your team. It gets difficult especially if you can't manufacture your team a little by opening with Dravid or thinking ABdV has done enough as a gloveman to realistically be considered. Also I think 3 of the best batsman available are Dravid, Sangakkara and Kallis but I don't exactly love having them at 3-5 in an ODI outfit. It might mean Graeme Smith's opening partner would have to be pretty attacking and worse than Gary Kirsten just to give the ODI outfit a boost. Someone like Sanath Jayasuriya would come into contention.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I was trying to come up with a 2nd XI to play against your team. It gets difficult especially if you can't manufacture your team a little by opening with Dravid or thinking ABdV has done enough as a gloveman to realistically be considered. Also I think 3 of the best batsman available are Dravid, Sangakkara and Kallis but I don't exactly love having them at 3-5 in an ODI outfit. It might mean Graeme Smith's opening partner would have to be pretty attacking and worse than Gary Kirsten just to give the ODI outfit a boost. Someone like Sanath Jayasuriya would come into contention.
1. Smith
2. Dravid
3. Sanga
4. Kallis
5. Pietersen
6. de Villiers
7. Hussey
8. Vaas
9. Kumble
10. Steyn
11. Donald

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

You're right regarding Waqar (I forgot his ODI debut).

2nd XI is difficult, I may go with this one:

Graeme Smith*
Rahul Dravid
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara+
Mahela Jayawardene
Michael Hussey
Chris Cairns
Dale Steyn
Anil Kumble
Saqlain Mushtaq
Allan Donald

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1. Smith
2. Dravid
3. Sanga
4. Kallis
5. Pietersen
6. de Villiers
7. Hussey
8. Vaas
9. Kumble
10. Steyn
11. Donald
I'm slightly surprised with this team given that:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Never said I was happy with it. Best side anyway IMO; no real solutions to that problem in the Second XI.
You could go:

1 Smith
2 Jayasuriya
3 Dravid
4 Kallis
5 Sangakkara
6 Pietersen
7 Dhoni (you love him)
8 Steyn
9 Saqlain
10 Akhtar
11 Donald

#aussiehater

longranger

U19 Cricketer
My selection (90s special)

1. Anwar
2. Gooch
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Inzamam
6. S Waugh (c)
7. Healy (wk)
8. Warne
9. Wasim (2)
10. Donald
11. McGrath (1)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My selection (90s special)

1. Anwar
2. Gooch
3. Lara
4. Tendulkar
5. Inzamam
6. S Waugh (c)
7. Healy (wk)
8. Warne
9. Wasim (2)
10. Donald
11. McGrath (1)
Having a 90s XI without Curtly Ambrose is a criminal offence.

On a serious note, that's the only change I'll make - Ambrose for McGrath...and Wasim will bat ahead of Warne

Last edited: