Page 170 of 206 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 3082
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha, Bradman was not conservative. He famously didn't hit the ball in the air but he was still a very attacking strokemaker; not hitting sixes doesn't change that.
    I think he was. Deliberately didn't hit the ball in the air to minimise his risk of getting out. I know he was attacking and scored quickly, but I think he played the percentages, just better than anyone else.

Maybe I could replace him with Bill Lawry though!

Excluding the first match a country plays or the first match they play after a long gap in time like for SA or something, what's the best XI that you can come up with picking consecutive test players to debut? You need someone to keep and some sort of balance is needed, although obviously it isn't going to be easy.

So far the best I can come up so far is..
    1 Matthew HAYDEN
    2 Michael SLATER
    3 Justin LANGER
    4 Mark WAUGH
    5 Damien MARTYN
    6 Wayne PHILLIPS+
    7 Paul REIFFEL
    8 Brendon JULIAN
    9 Shane WARNE
    10 Glenn MCGRATH
    11 Jo ANGEL

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    That attacking XI would play some exciting innings, but usually be beaten by the conservative one.
    Or more likely a lot of tame draws due to the scoring rate of the conservative XI.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Wasn't there one innings where he went a bit mad and cleared the ropes several times before holing out to Fleetwood-Smith? - or am I confusing that with it being Chuck's benefit?
    I'm pretty sure that the match you are thinking of is the NSW v Victoria Shield game of 1934. Here is an extract from the Sydney Morning Herald, dated 27th January;

......TERRIFIC RATE OP SCORING.

The rate of scoring at times was simply ter- rific, and was fastest during the later stages of the partnership. Bradman scored 128 of the 192 runs added in 96 minutes, his runs including 17 fours and four sixes. His first 50 runs occupied 57 minutes, but his last 78 runs took only 39 minutes to make. Once he started to flay the attack nothing could stem the flood of runs, until eventually he threw his wicket away.

The new ball made no difference to Brad- man. Mccormick and Ebeling bowled with it, and Bradman scored three fours in Ebeling's first over with terrific drives, and from 200 the score was taken to 250 in 22 minutes. Iron- monger was called upon to endeavour to keep down the runs, but Bradman powerfully drove his first two deliveries to the fence, and then swept him to the leg boundary. Finally came his slashing attack on Fleetwood-Smith.

Seventeen runs came from one over from the young left-hander, and Bradman scored 16 of them, passing the century mark after only 87 minutes' batting. In a brief but dazzling session of big hitting Bradman roused the already enthusiastic crowd to a state of ecstasy. His first six off Fleetwood-Smith was one of the mightiest hits seen at the ground for years. Bradman was hitting with the breeze from the southern end, and the ball landed on the roof of the small northern stand, close to the sight-board. When Fleetwood- Smith bowled again Bradman was obviously out to hit out or get out and it was a sensational over. The first two balls he hit for six, the second lodging on the upper deck of the members' stand and scattering excited spectators. Off the third delivery, with his score 122, Bradman was missed in the deep field by O'Brien, the batsman declining an easy single. The fourth ball went for another six—an amazing skier on the off side. Bradman played the fifth ball, and off the sixth washeld by Darling, in the long-field. Onlookers in all parts of the ground rose and cheered the great batsman as he ran from the field.

27 Jan 1934 - BRADMAN'S GUIDANCE.
    Last edited by watson; 01-09-2013 at 05:02 AM.
    “This beautiful, beautiful game that is battle and service and sport and art”.
    DOUGLAS JARDINE (speech in NZ, 1932)

International 12th Man harsh.ag's Avatar
    Just as an exercise, which fast bowling combo of the two would you prefer?

A - McGrath, Ambrose and Wasim
    B - Steyn, Donald and Waqar
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Just as an exercise, which fast bowling combo of the two would you prefer?

A - McGrath, Ambrose and Wasim
    B - Steyn, Donald and Waqar
    A.

Steyn and Waqar have high ER. That always bothers me a bit.

Love Ambrose. And him bowling in tandem with Akram is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    A.

Steyn and Waqar have high ER. That always bothers me a bit.

Love Ambrose. And him bowling in tandem with Akram is good enough for me.
    But isn't that countered by their low SR? I took A too, but B would be an extremely attacking attack. May even rattle opposition line-ups more than the greats in A,

See what you are getting at here, s/r vs e/r. The fact though that Ambrose and McGrath out classes Donald and Waqar still means that I will also go with A.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    But isn't that countered by their low SR? I took A too, but B would be an extremely attacking attack. May even rattle opposition line-ups more than the greats in A,
    Now if it was picking between attacks at their respective peaks. That would make it much more interesting. Right now attack A easily trumps B
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I think he was. Deliberately didn't hit the ball in the air to minimise his risk of getting out. I know he was attacking and scored quickly, but I think he played the percentages, just better than anyone else.
    You are dead right he was conservative in hitting along the ground but his aggressiveness and scoring rate weren't diminished. My point being that other batsmen chose to hit in the air but leave balls that Bradman may have still taken runs from. It was still aggressive and perhaps not conservative in that sense.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Jadeja 7. Haddin+ 8.Johnson 9.Harris 10. Herath 11. Steyn

Representative of all modern eras ATXI

1880-00 era: Dr WG Grace
    1900-1915 era: Sydney Barnes
    1910-1930 era: Sir Jack Hobbs
    1930-50 era: Sir Donald Bradman
    1945-60 era: Sir Len Hutton
    1960-75 era: Sir Garfield Sobers
    1975-85 era: Sir Vivian Richards
    1985-92 era: Malcolm Marshall
    1992-00 era: Shane Warne
    2000-07 era: Adam Gilchrist
    2007-present era: Dale Steyn

So the team becomes:

Hobbs | Hutton | Bradman | Viv | Grace | Sobers | Gilly | Marshall | Warne | Steyn | Barnes

Care to further this??
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 02-09-2013 at 09:54 AM.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    1880-00 era: Spofforth
    1900-1915 era: Trumper
    1910-1930 era: Sutcliffe
    1930-50 era: Hammond
    1945-60 era: Miller
    1960-75 era: Barrington
    1975-85 era: Imran
    1985-92 era: Hadlee
    1992-00 era: A. Flower
    2000-07 era: Murali
    2007-present era: Kallis

The team is....

Trumper
    Sutcliffe
    Barrington
    Kallis
    Hammond
    A. Flower +
    Miller
    Imran
    Hadlee
    Spofforth
    Murali

Representative of all modern eras ATXI

1880-00 era: Dr WG Grace
    1900-1915 era: Sydney Barnes
    1910-1930 era: Sir Jack Hobbs
    1930-50 era: Sir Donald Bradman
    1945-60 era: Sir Len Hutton
    1960-75 era: Sir Garfield Sobers
    1975-85 era: Sir Vivian Richards
    1985-92 era: Malcolm Marshall
    1992-00 era: Shane Warne
    2000-07 era: Adam Gilchrist
    2007-present era: Dale Steyn

So the team becomes:

Hobbs | Hutton | Bradman | Viv | Grace | Sobers | Gilly | Marshall | Warne | Steyn | Barnes

Care to further this??
    Seems a bit weird to pick four players from the last 25 years when you're trying to get a team from across time. How did you pick your dates?
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Seems a bit weird to pick four players from the last 25 years when you're trying to get a team from across time. How did you pick your dates?

We should do a team based on players who have played each 100 tests in international cricket or something like that.. It is an half assed idea I just now had as I opened this thread.. But maybe someone with better follow up skills can take it up

What I meant was the latest Ashes test was test # 2094.. So say we can pick one player each from the first 200 tests, next 200 and so on.. How will the team look? We can pick the 11th player from the latest 94..
    Last edited by honestbharani; 02-09-2013 at 09:15 PM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Well in that case we get

1. Up to December 1930
    2. January 1931 - February 1955
    3. February 1955 - December 1965
    4. January 1966 - February 1977
    5. February 1977 - October 1984
    6. November 1984 - July 1992
    7. July 1992 - December 1997
    8. December 1997 - February 2002
    9. February 2002 - March 2006
    10. March 2006 - July 2011
    11. July 2011 on

So if I were to pick a best player from each of those periods I'd probably go

1. Jack Hobbs (1)
    2. Don Bradman (2)
    3. Ricky Ponting (9)
    5. Sachin Tendulkar (8)
    5. Viv Richards (5)
    6. Garry Sobers (3)
    7. Jacques Kallis (10)
    8. Alan Knott (4)
    9. Malcolm Marshall (6)
    10. Shane Warne (7)
    11. Dale Steyn (11)

Yeah I got most of the way to the end before discovering I needed bowlers. Cbf to fix it though

Thread Information