• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

bagapath

International Captain
hobbs + sutcliffe
worrell + weekes + walcott
miller + lindwall
oldfield + grimmett
akram + waqar

batting order

hobbs
sutcliffe
worrell (c)
weekes
walcott
miller
oldfield (wk)
akram
lindwall
waqar
grimmett

watson

Banned
FTR - Dravid and Tendulkar have scored more runs together than any other duo. Add the Dravid-Laxman partnership and you have an enormous pile of runs;

Rarely does one talk about great and enduring partnerships in the middle order. One enduring partnership that has not got the credit it deserves is that of Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar. The pair’s monumental achievement went unsung on India’s disastrous tour of England when their partnership set a world record for the highest partnership aggregate. The Dravid-Tendulkar partnership has now aggregated 6520 runs at an average of 50.93, surpassing the 6482 runs by openers Greenidge and Haynes.

It is odd that a middle-order firm has forged the most successful partnership in Test cricket because it is supposed to be openers who hunt in pairs. But a walk down stats alley punctures that and some other cricket myths.

The next highest partnerships in Test cricket are:

Matthew Hayden & Justin Langer – 6081 runs
Mahela Jayawardene & Kumar Sangakkara – 5261 runs
Matthew Hayden & Ricky Ponting – 4765 runs
Alistair Cook & Andrew Strauss – 4635 runs
Marvan Atapattu & Sanath Jayasuriya – 4533 runs
Sourav Ganguly & Sachin Tendulkar – 4173 runs
Rahul Dravid & VVS Laxman – 3902 runs
Michael Slater & Mark Taylor – 3887 runs

A world record by Dravid and Tendulkar that went almost unnoticed and unsung - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
That stat makes sense as both of them have been around forever as the mainstays of the Indian middle order while being absolutely hungry for runs. However that duo doesn't seem as natural as say Sangakkara and Mahela. There have been plenty of stories about how they didn't have the best of understanding with each other. Well, those stories peaked around that 194* declaration but I don't think they are completely false, and I've always felt Sachin formed a great duo with Ganguly (mainly in ODIs though) while Dravid enjoyed batting with VVS more than Sachin.

Seems so weird saying all this with the avatar I have. :D

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Could've played a lot more if not for injury/circumstance

- Barry Richards
- Sid Barnes
-
- Graeme Pollock
- Basil D'Oliveira
-
-
- Mike Procter
- Dean Headley
- Harold Larwood
- Ian Bishop

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Could've played a lot more if not for injury/circumstance[/U][/B]

- Barry Richards
- Sid Barnes
- John Reid
- Graeme Pollock
- Basil D'Oliveira
- George Aubrey Faulkner
- Denis Lindsay (wk)

- Mike Procter
- Dean Headley
- Harold Larwood
- Ian Bishop

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Haven't posted a team for a while
B Richards
L Hutton
D Bradman*
B Lara
Keith Miller
G Sobers
J Waite+
S Warne
C Ambrose
D Lillee
S Barnes

Tossed up between Trueman and Lillee, and Hobbs and Richards. I find that the footage I have seen leans toward the players I haven't chosen but the opinion polls lean the other way.
My main problem is between two of my personal favourites, in Miller and Prince Ranji (who is one option I like in the middle order to replace him). I think the unpredictable nature of Miller's bowling is irreplaceable in a bowler, particularly a change bowler as he would be in this side.

watson

Banned
Misspelt IX

01. Garry Kirsten
02. Verinder Sehwag
03. Charlie McCartney
04. Frank Worrall
05. Alan Border
06. Tony Grieg
07. Allan Knott
08. Mike Proctor
09, Curtley Ambrose
10. Erapalli Prassana
11. Clarrie Grimmet

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Just a quick question and I believe here is as good a place to ask it as any. (Don't think it was worthy of a thread)

Why is Imran and Hadlee rated higher on CW that outside, like journalists, past players etc?

I acknowledge that Hadlee has an amazing record, but he is seen as at best, third best in his era after Marshall and Lillee by those in the know.

Imran has a godly home record, but his away record, while great isn't good enough to be seen as a challenger to be in the running as the very greatest bowlers and raises questions as to why he wsn't as successful in more bowler friendly conditions.

I have never seen an ATG XI including Hadlee and Imran makes about half, at most.

So what do we know, that the collective "they" do not.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Kyear has been asking this question since he joined CW and tries to slip it in every so often.

Maybe he needs to learn from that poster who keeps asking "will the Windies be great again?"

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
2nd time asked, cant remember where, and from memory didn't get answers.

Not really about Imran though, re-evaluating my position on Hadlee.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kyear has been asking this question since he joined CW and tries to slip it in every so often.

Maybe he needs to learn from that poster who keeps asking "will the Windies be great again?"
I swear I've heard kyear talk about Imran's "not good enough" away record atleast once a month. But when someone points out that Sobers averages 66 at home and "only" 50 away, much like Imran, he goes silent. Classic kyear.