• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Long term success as a captain XI

Setting the standard of minimum 25 tests as captain and winning more than 40% of games captained….

Mark Taylor
Graeme Smith
Don Bradman
Viv Richards
Steve Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Greg Chappell
MS Dhoni
Richie Benaud
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram

Chappell and Waugh gonna have to play as ARs.

Last edited:

Red

Who do people think are the greatest captains in the history of the game, tactically and in terms of leadership?

From an Australian perspective…

Bradman, Taylor, Benaud, Ian Chappell, Armstrong.

Reckon Clarke is a great captain tactically but not sure if he's a particularly good leader, although the team seems settled lately.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon Clarke is a great captain tactically but not sure if he's a particularly good leader, although the team seems settled lately.
Why not? He's led from the front and lifted a mediocre team pretty much on his own from 2011-2013 and now with MJ being god and lots of fast bowlers coming through, he's leading one of the best teams in the world. Much like Border did, really.

Red

Why not? He's led from the front and lifted a mediocre team pretty much on his own from 2011-2013 and now with MJ being god and lots of fast bowlers coming through, he's leading one of the best teams in the world. Much like Border did, really.
Agree.

Riggins

International Captain
I understand what you mean based on some of the incidents that have happened, like the whole homework debacle, but everyone you talk to seems to ****ing adore playing for him, and their games seem to lift, which is pretty massive. Also who gives a **** what happens in India?

Last edited:

Red

I understand what you mean based on some of the incidents that have happened, like the whole homework debacle, but everyone you talk to seems to ****ing adore playing for him, and their games seem to lift, which is pretty massive. Also who gives a **** what happens in India?
There was some weird **** early, with Symonds, Katich and maybe Hussey. Some of that was probably before he was captain, and he wasn't at fault really. It's hard to captain guys older/more experienced than you.

I'm a big fan of his captaincy. Reckon he settled what was a pretty volatile environment for a while.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which of the following 2 sides would you pick?

Barry
Viv
Don
Lara
Sobers (c)
Miller
Knott (w)
Marshall
Wasim
Warne
Murali
Hobbs
Headley
Ponting
Sachin
Pollock
Kallis
Gilly (w)
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Lillee
O’Reilly

I have chosen the first side's bowling to be the most versatile (in terms of variation). While the second side is batting heavy with all classical bowlers :)

EDIT: Slight change in wicket-keepers.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Which of the following 2 sides would you pick?

Barry
Viv
Don
Lara
Sobers (c)
Miller
Gilly (w)
Marshall
Wasim
Warne
Murali

Hobbs
Headley
Ponting
Sachin
Pollock
Kallis
Ames (w)
Imran (c)
Hadlee
Lillee
O’Reilly

I have chosen the first side's bowling to be the most versatile (in terms of variation). While the second side is batting heavy with all classical bowlers :)
Has to be the first side. Having a batting attack which includes The Don, Lara, Gilchrist and both Richards. Then the bowling attack is enough to make a batsman vomit having arguably the two best pace bowlers ever along with Sobers and definitely the two best spinners. The other side just doesn't cut the mustard like the first.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has to be the first side. Having a batting attack which includes The Don, Lara, Gilchrist and both Richards. Then the bowling attack is enough to make a batsman vomit having arguably the two best pace bowlers ever along with Sobers and definitely the two best spinners. The other side just doesn't cut the mustard like the first.
Sorry, just changed the keepers. Would you still pick the first side?

smash84

The Tiger King
Was Imran really that great as a captain? I mean, he was good at getting tough personalities to work together but that was about it. Even if he is made captain, I'd want Taylor running the show on the field.
Not only did he get tough personalities to work well he lifted his game to another level when he was captain.

smash84

The Tiger King
Give Kallis to Team 1 and Bradman to team 2 and I will take team B.