Cricket Player Manager
Page 161 of 247 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 3693
Like Tree259Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    changed the ROW XI. Think for the better, don't know what u guys would think.
    If you bring in Kallis in place of G.Pollock, then you gain a bowler, which you need, without losing a great batsman.

And, please explain to me how Barry Richards edged out Gordon Greenidge!!! No. Actually don't do that. We have devoted tons of mails to this issue already.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    If you bring in Kallis in place of G.Pollock, then you gain a bowler, which you need, without losing a great batsman.

And, please explain to me how Barry Richards edged out Gordon Greenidge!!! No. Actually don't do that. We have devoted tons of mails to this issue already.
    Kallis for Graeme Pollock? You're joking right?
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

State Vice-Captain
    I'd move Headley to 3 (avg. of 71.17, 10 centuries from 32 innings), he never opened anyway. Hell, both Lara and Viv opened twice in tests. Sub one of those two out, and Greenidge in as an opener.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Realistically, Richards and Headley are gunning for the same No.3 spot, and moving them out of that key position is a compromise.

01. Barry Richards ^
    02. Gordon Greenidge
    03. Sir I.V.A. Richards*
    04. Graeme Pollock ^
    05. Brian Lara ^
    06. Sir Garry Sobers (5) ^
    07. John Waite +
    08. Richard Hadlee (3)
    09. Malcolm Marshall (1)
    10. Hugh Tayfield (4)
    11. Curtly Ambrose (2)

State Vice-Captain
    imo, Headley was the greatest west indian bat, but, to each their own.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    what are these ^ things for?
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    what are these ^ things for?
    Slips.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    If Headley not elligible to open then he beats out Viv for the no. 3 spot and Viv beats out Pollock for the no.4 spot for me. Best way to get Pollock in is to let Headley open, which for all intents and purposes he often was.

As far as who the best W.I batsman is I genaerally rate the top four as equals, with Viv slightly ahead as he did his best work at no. 3 and againts the better fast bolwers, but outside of that nothing much between the 4 of them and I rate them all in my top six of All Time middle order bats with SRT and the Don.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Just messing with the most versatile bowling attack I can get while having a balanced side.

Ambrose, Akram, Miller, Warne, Murali & Sobers should do the job.

Tall quick with bounce. Skiddy LA quick with control of swing. Fast bowling all rounder who was great in bursts. Best leggie. Best offie. LA part time seam or spin.

- B. Richards
    - L. Hutton
    - D. Bradman
    - V. Richards
    - K. Miller
    - G. Sobers
    - A .Gilchrist
    - W. Akram
    - S. Warne
    - C. Ambrose
    - M. Muralitharan

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Just messing with the most versatile bowling attack I can get while having a balanced side.

Ambrose, Akram, Miller, Warne, Murali & Sobers should do the job.

Tall quick with bounce. Skiddy LA quick with control of swing. Fast bowling all rounder who was great in bursts. Best leggie. Best offie. LA part time seam or spin.

- B. Richards
    - L. Hutton
    - D. Bradman
    - V. Richards
    - K. Miller
    - G. Sobers
    - A .Gilchrist
    - W. Akram
    - S. Warne
    - C. Ambrose
    - M. Muralitharan

lol.. pretty sure you would want Sir Gary to bat above Miller
    kyear2 likes this.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    lol.. pretty sure you would want Sir Gary to bat above Miller
    Despite the argument that Monk uses that Miller was best at no. 5, it's not plausible to bat him above arguably the second best batsman to play the game. Wouln't make sense no matter how you spin it.
    Last edited by kyear2; 30-07-2013 at 05:30 AM.
    Prince EWS likes this.

International Debutant
    You know you probably could. That's not to say Miller was better or diminish Sir Gary's rating in any way but Sobers did prefer to bat 6 did he not?

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Miller's preferred spot to bat was 5 and Sobers batted at 6 most of the time. Makes sense to me that they'd bat here in this team.

The argument that Sobers is the second best batsman in history so he should bat above Miller is stupid. Sobers mostly batted at 6 for WIs. Why didn't he just bat at 3?

Same argument's made for Clarke to bat at 3. Makes as little sense to me. Bat guys where they bat best/are most comfortable.

He batted at 6 after he started to take on a greater bowling burden, In an ATG XI I can't see why I would bat Miller in the top 6 far less over Sir Garry. Additionally if my memory serves me correct he Sobers was more succesful at 3 and 4.

International Debutant
    He pretty much reamed it from 3 down to 7. Even a useful stat as an opener.
    honestbharani likes this.

Thread Information