• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
If Bradman is not allowed I would replace him with Archie Jackson or Wally Hammond FTR
There must be batsman who are just as naturally gifted as Archie Jackson but with the Tests matches and runs on the board to back up their talent.

Rohan Kanhai springs to mind. Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing, and therefore gifted batsman of all time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A very talented and under rated batsman on here, and a batsman many thought was the equal of Sobers and every bit the equal of Harvey, Weekes, Compton ect.

watson

Banned
And Mark Waugh...
Importantly, we can watch videos of Kanhai and Waugh in action and know for sure that they were aesthetically brilliant. Not so McCabe as the footage is very limited.

Incidently, here is a Kanhai century that I like;

2nd 'Test': Australia v World XI at Perth, 10-12 Dec 1971

Rohan Kanhai 118 vs Australia 2nd test Perth 1971/72 - YouTube

In the first innings Dennis Lillee took 8-29 on a lively Perth track. On the same wicket Kanhai came out and struck 118 runs in the second innings. In neither innings was he dismissed by Lillee;

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Importantly, we can watch videos of Kanhai and Waugh in action and know for sure that they were brilliant. Not so McCabe as the footage is very limited.
Read Between Wickets by Ray Robinson. Picked it up for $2 in a second hand bookshop in Braidwood; it made me fall in cricketing love with McCabe (and Maurice Tate) - and I haven't finished it yet.

I originally did this write-up for the second Reserve League Draft, but never got around to doing the entire team:

Stan McCabe was a batsman renowned for taking on the best bowlers of his day with his enterprising strokeplay, fearless nature and unmatched ability against pace.

There were three defining innings in the career of McCabe, the first coming during the now-infamous Bodyline series. His 187*, made from only 233 balls in 242 minutes, proved him as the only batsman to truly handle the bowling of Larwood, Voce, Allen and co. In a match lacking Bradman, his talent came to the fore as he shored up an uncertain batting order – only two other batsmen passed 30 – hooking with little regard for his safety as those around him crumbled. Ray Robinson, writing in Between Wickets, compared the innings to a blood transfusion for the Australian side.

In 1938 he made his second tour to England, following on from a highly successful 1934 outing, and it seemed unlikely that he could surpass his previous achievements. However, his 232 in the opening match at Trent Bridge made Bradman look decidedly amateur; when McCabe came back to the pavilion at the conclusion of his innings, made at a strike rate of 80, Bradman is reported to have said “If I could play an innings like that, I’d be a proud man Stan”.

What made the 232 even more special was McCabe’s form leading in to the match – he was having a torrid time, and suggested to selectors that he be left out. To quote Robinson once more, “If McCabe’s 187 was a blood transfusion for his side, his 232 in the Nottingham Test, 1938, was a heart-massage that revived the patient when hope had been given up.”

S.F. Barnes, the greatest bowler of the early 20th Century, spoke of the innings as the finest he had seen, surpassing the efforts of Victor Trumper. In a conversation with Neville Cardus, he is reported as saying “I don’t think I could have kept him quiet”, such was the ferocity of the innings.

His third innings of spectacular proportions was at Johannesburg in 1935, as he made 189* to steer a chase widely believed to be impossible. Set 399 to win in just over a day, on a wearing wicket, up against a strong attack, and entering the fray at 1/17, McCabe used attack as the best form of defence, making 148 of a 2nd wicket stand of 177 with Jack Fingleton, speeding to a century in 91 minutes (at that point, the third fastest in history by time). At a quarter to three on the final day, an appeal against the light was upheld and a thunderstorm destroyed any chance of a result with the score at 2/274. It is crucial to note, however, that the appeal came from the South African captain, who believed McCabe’s aggressive strokeplay to be putting his fielders at risk.

He was a master of the sticky wicket, unlike many of his Australian contemporaries, and was universally liked – even the bowlers whom he despatched mercilessly found him impossible to dislike. He was also a useful medium pace change bowler, with a ‘wrong-un’ that broke back into the right hander and a delivery style that came through a yard quicker than expected. At second slip, his fielding was unparalleled and he was fearless in close.

As Robinson said “When McCabe got out, the melody lingered on, and often it was some time before you noticed what kind of tune the next batsman played”.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Excellent well written piece about a wonderful player, a player comparable to Greg Chappel and Wally Hammond who was invaluable to his team as a more than useful bowler who opened on occasion and from all reports a wonderful slip fielder.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
All time great Have Seen XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Gordon Greenidge
  3. Ricky Ponting/Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Gary Sobers
  6. Andy Flower/Adam Gilchrist
  7. Richard Hadlee
  8. Shane Warne
  9. Andy Roberts
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Muralitharan

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Excellent well written piece about a wonderful player, a player comparable to Greg Chappel and Wally Hammond who was invaluable to his team as a more than useful bowler who opened on occasion and from all reports a wonderful slip fielder.
Here we have some good footage (albeit rather short) of Stan McCabe bowling with his round-arm action. And even Bradman which must be rare indeed. Enjoy.

AUSTRALIA'S CRICKET TEST HOPES - British Pathé

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You're welcome.

If you find any significant footage of McCabe batting in your travels through Pathe then please post it. I'm still searching.
Cricket Archives | DVD | ABC Shop

Not sure if you've seen this Watson, but you'd enjoy it. Can't remember if it has McCabe on it, but I'll watch it again soon and let you know. Has limited footage of Trumper, Archie Jackson, Clem Hill etc. Fair bit of Bradman, Miller, Lindwall....

hang on

State Vice-Captain
All time great Have Seen XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar
  2. Gordon Greenidge
  3. Ricky Ponting/Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Gary Sobers
  6. Andy Flower/Adam Gilchrist
  7. Richard Hadlee
  8. Shane Warne
  9. Andy Roberts
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Muralitharan
haven't you had the great good fortune to see lara and khan live, assuming it is live at the ground that you are talking about?

Red

Best i've seen..

01. Gordon Greenidge
02. Mark Taylor (c)
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Viv Richards
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Wasim Akram
09. Shane Warne
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Glenn McGrath

Can vaguely remember Gavaskar, Imran, Hadlee, Kapil, Botham and Marshall and a few others, but they were all very close to the end when I became interested in cricket. Can distinctly remember Greenidge and Viv as some of my earliest cricket memories. As a kid in the 80s, I was in awe of the West Indies.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
following on from sjs's have seen 11, my live at the ground one would be:

gavaskar
smith
richards
tendulkar
lara
sobers (i was far too young, but hey!)
gilchrist
marshall
ambrose
warne
murali

my live, including on tv

gavaskar
richards
richards
tendulkar
lara
sobers
gilchrist
marshall
lillee
ambrose
warne

Jager

International Debutant
Heaven eleven
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Victor Trumper
3. Archie Jackson
4. Alan Kippax
5. Keith Miller
7. Don Tallon †
9. Harold Larwood
11. Arthur Mailey

Help me out here?

The players need to have passed away, been a joy to watch, less concerned about winning and more concerned about the joy of cricket, not malicious etc.

Red

Heaven eleven
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Victor Trumper
3. Archie Jackson
4. Alan Kippax
5. Keith Miller
6. Ranji
7. Don Tallon †
8. Tom Wills
9. Harold Larwood
10. Ted McDonald
11. Arthur Mailey

Help me out here?

The players need to have passed away, been a joy to watch, less concerned about winning and more concerned about the joy of cricket, not malicious etc.