Page 16 of 209 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

@watson saying that the WI quicks would destroy Bradman or Hobbs almost as a guarantee on a green wicket is definitely overkill to be honest - I think we, as a forum, tend to overrate the impact of the legendary quicks overall. Sure they'd be bloody good, but even the WI quartets played together and lost test matches/failed to bowl sides out, and that was against sides with one or two great batsmen instead of five or six.

@kyear I rate Chappell and Harvey up there for sure. Sobers second in my eyes though.

@Monk I could never place Lindsay as SA's keeper - either Cameron or Waite for me, toss of a coin really.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Who are the three contenders Monk, to me the only middle order batsmen who can be seen as a legitimate contender for the title of best after Bradman are : Wally Hammond, Sachin Tendulkar, George Headley, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock.
    Ponting, Harvey, Miandad, 3 W's comes awful close as well.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Yes Jager, forgot Chappell. Edited in.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    It's true that they all bowl across the RH batsman, but the techniques are all different. Gupte was a leg-break googly bowler, Chandra bowled at medium pace, and Mankad was a left-armer. Hence the ball would be pitching on different areas of the wicket and have different trajectories. I don't think that any batsman could settle into any sort of routine easily with 2-3 of those bowlers operating.
    Yeah the techniques are different, but why not include a genuine match winning off spinner in Prasanna who is arguably as good a bowler as either Gupte or Chandra.

Just on Chandra I'm not sure that he was medium pace. Bowled quickly for a spinner, skidding the ball on looking for lbw's and bat pad catches, but at a guess I would think he'd be bowling at around 90-95 kph.

Longhop, I like your team from 4 down to 11, I've been thinking about omitting Miller from my XI recently as being the seventh best batsman and fifth best bowler in a team makes his value questionable.

Expecting Miller fans to be seething..

Reading that was like a dagger through my heart, Nuf

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Reading that was like a dagger through my heart, Nuf
    Yeah, it was either out of the team or Miller batting at 6.

In some ways I'm not sure what to do with him. He did seem like a cricketer who could rise to the situation and I feel as though he was better with the bat then what his average suggests (I wonder what his standardized average is) and his bowling was awesome too. Tough decision - I'm not 100% made up mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

In some ways I'm not sure what to do with him. He did seem like a cricketer who could rise to the situation and I feel as though he was better with the bat then what his average suggests (I wonder what his standardized average is) and his bowling was awesome too. Tough decision - I'm not 100% made up mind.
    Agreed on the batting especially - people compare his batting with Imran (6 centuries from 88 tests) but Miller was far better (7 from 55). He is a genuine top order bat with the mercurial magic only he and a few others possess.

I know what you're saying though, but think about it this way - if you've got Bradman averaging 40 more runs than anyone else on the other side, Miller averaging 10-15 runs less is not going to make a huge difference, and that is the only negative - his positives include his bowling brilliance, in which he had an alarming ability to get the best batsmen out (10 dismissals of Hutton and 6 of Compton being the most notable), his captaincy which is rivaled only by Benaud/Taylor in Australia, and his all-time standard slips fielding. Not to mention he's gun for team morale

Oh and don't even think about putting him at 6

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post

I suspect Miller would have averaged 50+ with the bat quite easily had he not been a bowler, which is why I pick him.

Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Who are the three contenders Monk, to me the only middle order batsmen who can be seen as a legitimate contender for the title of best after Bradman are : Wally Hammond, Sachin Tendulkar, George Headley, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Greg Chappell.
    I'd say G.Chappell, Ponting and Border can all be included in that bunch, with Neil Harvey not undeserving as well.

Hammond and Sobers the sliiiiiightest bit ahead of the rest of the pack for me. Viv not far behind them, then a cluster of the rest.

* Headley and G.Pollock are difficult to rank as test cricketers due to limited opportunities. Pollock may well have been the second best ever (B.Richards too).

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Oh and don't even think about putting him at 6
    The more I think about it the more I believe that No.5 is the natural position for Miller in an ATG Australian team.

In the middle order I see him as a 'pinch hitter'. In others words, a batsman that can hit the team out of trouble if there have been early wickets, or accelerate the innings if there are plenty of runs on the board.

Also, if Miller's 'pinch hitting' doesn't come off then there is little harm done because you're still got Border to follow at No.6 who can absorb the pressure and steady the innings again.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I suspect Miller would have averaged 50+ with the bat quite easily had he not been a bowler, which is why I pick him.

I'd say G.Chappell, Ponting and Border can all be included in that bunch, with Neil Harvey not undeserving as well.

Hammond and Sobers the sliiiiiightest bit ahead of the rest of the pack for me. Viv not far behind them, then a cluster of the rest.

* Headley and G.Pollock are difficult to rank as test cricketers due to limited opportunities. Pollock may well have been the second best ever (B.Richards too).
    As I had said earlier I thought I had included Chappell and edited him in. When I look at some one to say that he is a legitimate contender for best after Bradman, they are all batsmen you can say is the second best batsman ever or at their best was the equal to the Don, as great as Border was, and he is in my AT Australia XI, I dont think that anyone can make the argument that he was the best ever or place in in an all time xi or the second team. Ponting is closer to that list and could make it. Again:

Greg Chappell, Graeme Pollock, Wally Hammond, George Headley, Viv Richards, Brian Lara, Garry Sobers, Sachin Tendulkar, Jack Hobbs, Barry Richards

The next level would include:
    Ricky Ponting, Neil Harvey, Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott, Javed Miandad, Kumar Sagakarra, Frank Worrell, Allan Border, Jacques Kallis, Ken Barrington, Sunil Gavaskar, Len Hutton.
    Would also include the likes of Rohan Kanhai, Steve Waugh, Denis Compton, Clive Lloyd, Peter May, Rahul Dravid, Bobby Simpson, Gordon Greenidge and Inzamam Ul-Haq with this group.

One feature of the top tier is that they were all match winners, attacking batsmen that could destroy an attack and often did. As I said, Ponting, Harvey, Weekes, Walcott and Gavaskar are the closest to the top tier, but just (for me) missed out as it's harder to say unequivically that they were the second best ever. Border, Kallis, Barrington and Hutton though great, were not always attacking enough and had to lower their rate of scoring to be effective or that was just their natural speed (Hutton, Kallis) and were not natural match winners.
    Last edited by kyear2; 13-09-2012 at 07:59 AM.

International 12th Man AndyZaltzHair's Avatar
    India XI

Gavaskar
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Tendulkar
    Hazare
    Mankad
    Kapil
    Kirmani
    Amar
    Prasanna
    Gupte

For me although Dhoni is a brutal OD player, as wicket keeper in Tests he is certainly not better than Kirmani who was more than outstanding to spinners and India's bowling will be always spin heavy so Kirmani is infact an auto choice but I think many will disagree with me.

For spinners' choice as Mankad is there, with Subhash Gupte I want to revive the two prong spin attack partnership i.e. Mankad and Gupte operating together; may be not a good idea in ATG XI but that's a tie breaker for me. Now with Gupte there, Prasanna over Chandrasekhar for variation in the attack. This might be spin over-kill but I like the attack, it has legspin-googly-offspin-sla.
    Last edited by AndyZaltzHair; 12-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Originally Spoken by Brendon McCullum
    You have got to earn the right to be aggressive.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    that is a pretty decent India XI.

I was thinking to include mohinder amarnath on fast bouncy pitches
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    that is a pretty decent India XI.

I was thinking to include mohinder amarnath on fast bouncy pitches

Agreed with Monk that Miller was a 50+ batsman - unfortunately he was also an ATG fast bowler which was bloody handy to the team

Thread Information