• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Hobbs
B. Richards
Bradman
V. Richards
Lara
Sobers
Evans
Akram
Marshall
Warne
Holding

Hammond
Hooper

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Gilchrist was one of the most destructive batsmen in cricket history. He could turn a tight game overwhelmingly in Australia's favour inside a session. At no point would I have DeVilliers, Flower, Knott, Ames, Lindsay or anyone over him and would be stoked if you had 1st chance to pick him in a draft but overlooked him.
Good for you, and he was at times very exciting as a batsman and took some good catches. But his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper to everyone, so prepare for your excitement to be upheld.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Good for you, and he was at times very exciting as a batsman and took some good catches. But his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper to everyone, so prepare for your excitement to be upheld.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper"?

Overall, I think he maintained an exceptional standard of wicketkeeping throughout his career. At the very end he declined slightly.

The Battlers Prince

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "his overall effectiveness is not overwhelming as a keeper"?

Overall, I think he maintained an exceptional standard of wicketkeeping throughout his career. At the very end he declined slightly.
I've gone into this debate too often, but for me his footwork was not good putting him out if place and leading to diving catches that looked great or else were dropped or not even reached.
I also thought his stumpings weren't with the speed of a Grout or the precision of a Tallon. So exceptional no, but better than most who have since tried to follow his batsman keeper ways, sure

the big bambino

International Captain
Gilly was a magnificent keeper. The distinction with Tallon or Grout is just one for the purists. Its like preferring one batsmen over another bcos he plays the cover drive classically. Or a bowler bcos his action is more side on than others. It may appeal aesthetically but there isn't a practical benefit that should influence selection. What matters to a batsman is runs. Similarly it doesnt matter if a keeper dives for his catches as long as he holds them and that his stumpings are swift enough to find batsmen out of their crease. Gilly took his chances and then accelerates ahead of anyone thanks to his match winning batting.

Red

I've gone into this debate too often, but for me his footwork was not good putting him out if place and leading to diving catches that looked great or else were dropped or not even reached.
I also thought his stumpings weren't with the speed of a Grout or the precision of a Tallon. So exceptional no, but better than most who have since tried to follow his batsman keeper ways, sure
Just never got this. He was exceptional standing back and rarely missed stuff, and he had to keep to Warne and MacGill and was incredibly tidy at that as well.

Modern keepers don't get as much chance to show off their stumping skills because modern batsmen play back in their crease a lot more, and spinners are generally less utilised nowadays anyhow.

watson

Banned
The argument about the relative skills of keepers like Gilchrist, Kirmani, Knott, Evans, and Tallon can never be fully resolved because there are no satisfactory statistics like Average, Strike Rate, Economy Rate, etc etc to help settle the debate. I'm not saying that statistics are everything, but they are certainly a good guide.

We could look at things like the average number of byes conceded per Test, or dismissals per Test, but ultimately they depend too much on the quality of bowling, the type of bowling, and the pitch conditions. In other words, if **** bowlers consistently bowl the ball 2 metres wide of the stumps then there's not much even the classiest keeper can do to prevent byes, or complete a dismissal.

So all have to go by when assessing someones keeping skills is the personal testimonies of the batsman and bowlers they played with/against, as well as the opinions of expert commentators and writers.

That being said, I've heard few experts rave about the keeping skills of Gilchrist. You get a nod of approval to the question "was he very good", but generally nothing more than that. However, it is not difficult to find articles raving about the sheer brilliance of Kirmani, Knott, Evans, and Tallon. Whether you agree or disagree with all the raving is not the point. The fact that it has been written ad nauseum has to mean something significant.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Seen Kirmani. He aint all that. Difference btwn Gilly and Knott is about the same as that btwn Knott and Taylor which wasn't enough for Taylor to get him selected over Knott.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Gilchrist falls behind in technique but not in performance, there's a reason why a lot of people place him in their all time XI and it can't simply be that his batting was so far ahead if he was only a very good keeper. they must consider him top tier or near to it to even consider him in their all time team otherwise it'd just he silly picking him.

Probably isn't raved about because he wasn't as technically correct, he also came just after Healy who was a tremendous keeper with top technique.

Last edited:

Red

Healy is one guy kind of in underrated/forgotten in my opinion. Used to love watching him keep. If you're talking Tallon/Evans purist glovework kinda stuff, Healy belongs in the conversation

The Battlers Prince

Yeah, good point about Healy.
Incidentally I wonder had WW2 not interfered whether Tallon's batting would have stayed at a higher level it was in the shield, and be able to bring that form to tests? It's difficult when amongst the Imvincibles his runs weren't often required