• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Crowe also picked Wasim over Imran in the first XI which has never ever made sense to me, yet that's what all the experts seem to do. Baffling.
Nah, there are ample reasons to go for Wasim over Imran as a pure bowler. After a great peak, Imran never got around to be the spearhead of the attack again after injury, even though he still had stellar figures to show for this period anyway. So perhaps that impression has been left in everyone's head that as a pure bowler, Wasim had a better career than Imran. This is not totally incorrect either. Plus, Wasim did produce more magic than Imran on the pitch. I think even Smali would admit to that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd like to see Davidson and Lindwall in there too. But I guess there are only 50 spots. Kumble the obvious one who could make way.

watson

Banned
Grimmett and Bedser I would say. Linwall and Davidson in for them.
Bedser has to stay as he was Englands premier bowler for too many years.

Can't see why Dravid makes the list since Crowe bypassed Boycott and Barrington. Lindwall in for Dravid.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can tell Crowe doesn't earn a living from writing as he has conspicuously failed to make any controversial selections - was expecting to see Ewen Chatfield's name there

smash84

The Tiger King
Nah, there are ample reasons to go for Wasim over Imran as a pure bowler. After a great peak, Imran never got around to be the spearhead of the attack again after injury, even though he still had stellar figures to show for this period anyway. So perhaps that impression has been left in everyone's head that as a pure bowler, Wasim had a better career than Imran. This is not totally incorrect either. Plus, Wasim did produce more magic than Imran on the pitch. I think even Smali would admit to that.
Sure Wasim produced more magical deliveries than Imran but you are wrong on the count that Imran wasn't the spearhead of the attack post injury. He was the spearhead of the attack until the 88-89 series against the WI. IT is only after that that Wasim took over.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see Davidson and Lindwall in there too. But I guess there are only 50 spots. Kumble the obvious one who could make way.
Lindwall, Davidson, Sangakkara, Steyn in for Kumble, Dravid, Bedser and Evans would be my choices but nothing really to quibble about too much.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
3 XI's

Ashes (Australia + England)
Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman*
Wally Hammond
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist+
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath

Yes, no Miller or Botham. With a tail of Warne/Lillee/Barnes/McGrath, I went with Border for the extra stability.

Asia (India + Pakistan + Sri Lanka + Bangladesh)
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Kumar Sangakkara+
Javed Miandad
Imran Khan*
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

Managed to have both Imran and Kapil in here, really think this team has great chemistry.

Rest of the World
Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
George Headley
Graeme Pollock
Brian Lara
Garry Sobers
Andy Flower+
Mike Procter
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose

This team does fall a bit short on spin, though both Sobers and Procter can turn it. Nobody from WI/SA/NZ/ZIM comes anywhere near Warne or Murali anyway.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australia/England XI

J. Hobbs
L. Hutton
D. Bradman *
G.Chappell
W. Hammond
I. Botham
A. Knott +
S. Warne
D. Lillee
F. Trueman
G. McGrath

12th- K Miller

Asia XI

S. Gavaskar
F. Engineer +
K. Sangakkara
S. Tendulkar
J. Miandad
V. Hazare
K. Dev
I. Khan *
W. Akram
B.S. Chandrasekhar
M. Muralitharan

12th- W. Younis

Rest of World

B. Richards
G. Greenidge
G. Headley
B. Lara
V. Richards *
G. Sobers
M. Procter
J. Waite +
R. Hadlee
M. Marshall
C. Ambrose

12th- H. Tayfield

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
3 XI's

Ashes (Australia + England)
Jack Hobbs
Herbert Sutcliffe
Don Bradman*
Wally Hammond
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist+
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Sydney Barnes
Glenn McGrath

Yes, no Miller or Botham. With a tail of Warne/Lillee/Barnes/McGrath, I went with Border for the extra stability.

Asia (India + Pakistan + Sri Lanka + Bangladesh)
Sunil Gavaskar
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Kumar Sangakkara+
Javed Miandad
Imran Khan*
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

Managed to have both Imran and Kapil in here, really think this team has great chemistry.

Rest of the World
Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
George Headley
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Garry Sobers
Andy Flower+
Mike Procter
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose

This team does fall a bit short on spin, though both Sobers and Procter can turn it. Nobody from WI/SA/NZ/ZIM comes anywhere near Warne or Murali anyway.
So what really do you have against Vivian Richards?

He is comfortably a better batsman than Kallis and let's be honest Hammond and Pollock as well.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashes XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Leonard Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Greg Chappell
Walter Hammond
Alan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Fred Trueman
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Ricky Ponting

Subcontinent XI
Sunil Gavaskar
Vijay Merchant
Kumar Sangakkara
Sachin Tendulkar
Javed Miandad
Vijay Hazare
Farokh Engineer
Imran Khan
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

Kapil Dev

Rest of the World XI
Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
George Headley
Sir I.V.A. Richards
Brian Lara
Sir Garfield Sobers
John Waite
Sir Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Hugh Tayfield
Sir Curtly Ambrose

Jacques Kallis

Sub continent team probably the hardest to select, all three are really strong teams. Hard to call a winner.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh **** forgot Pollock. Oh and also, don't have much of a thing for Viv due to him only averaging 45 for the entire second half of his career...

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
And Pollock didn't get a chance to decline because he career lasted 20 Tests over 5 years? As for Viv averaging 45 over the second half of his career, how many averaged more over that period and compare the bowlers he faced even during that time to the ones faced by Hammond and Pollock, who somehow managed to miss facing every great fast bowler of his era and when he did face Lillee, he basically said Pollock wasn't comfortable vs the short stuff. Hammond for his part struggled against the only real pace attack he faced and it wasn't that great.
If Viv had retired after the same amount of tests as Chappell (when he admittedly should have) his average would also have been over 53 and if he hadn't missed two years in his absolute prime when he was playing WSC, his record would have been even more impressive.

To each their own, I just don't get the logic.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia XI

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Alan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Alan Davidson
Shane Warne