Page 15 of 228 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    See, I think that overlooks guys like Patterson, Clarke, Winston and Kenny Benjamin, all who bowled at good pace and played in those sides while the Windies were a quality side.

There would have been quite a few times when these guys were making up part of a four prong pace attack also, even though they weren't all time greats, and pushing the side towards a win.
    I think that you're probably right, but let's not forget Roger Harper; 25 tests, 46 wickets at 28.06.

True, although he did play some games as a fifth bowler.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Mohammad Nissar and Amar Singh deserve to be in the bowling debate.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

I'm not so keen on Gupte, Chandra and Mankad all taking the ball across RH bats. I would be picking someone who spins the ball the other way such as Prasanna, most likely instead of Gupte.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Either or even both of them would be well worth a place

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Excellent points by rvd and Nufan with regard to the Indian bowling options. S.A not getting enough respect as I belive that they are easily better than England.

They are ten batsmen overall, and seven middle order batsmen who are legitimate challengers to be called the best after Bradman. Four of the seven middle order challengers are in the West Indian line up. Also we are picking players are at their best, and the only advantage Bradman had was that he maintained his form through out his career.
    As far as bolwers go, Lillee and Holding are equal, so are Ambrose and Mcgrath and their is no competition between Miller and Marshall. Gibbs is not on the level of O'Reilly and Warne, but he is in the level right below. The openers are under rated and Walcott was a very good keeper. Great team that.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Excellent points by rvd and Nufan with regard to the Indian bowling options. S.A not getting enough respect as I belive that they are easily better than England.
    True, they should be included. Who do we have?

Smith
    B. Richards
    Kallis
    G. Pollock
    Nourse
    Taylor
    Procter
    D.Lindsay
    S. Pollock
    H. Tayfield
    A. Donald

Cracking side. Steyn not far off.

They are ten batsmen overall, and seven middle order batsmen who are legitimate challengers to be called the best after Bradman. Four of the seven middle order challengers are in the West Indian line up.
    You're right, and perhaps it's interesting that we're leaving a couple out of the Australian side to accomodate Miller as an AR and the two spinners. If we didn't include Miller (heresy, I know), Aust might have...

Trumper
    Simpson
    Bradman
    G.Chappell
    Ponting or Harvey
    Border
    Gilchrist
    Lindwall
    Lillee
    Warne or O'Reilly
    McGrath

...and Aust would have 3 legitimate contenders (plus THE MAN AT 3) as well.

As far as bolwers go, Lillee and Holding are equal, so are Ambrose and Mcgrath and their is no competition between Miller and Marshall. Gibbs is not on the level of O'Reilly and Warne, but he is in the level right below. .
    Agree with you on he comparison between the bowlers. Miller and Marshall are somewhat comparable imo, Marshall is no doubt better as a quick, but not by a maaaaaaassive stretch.
    Last edited by Monk; 12-09-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    Gavaskar - Hutton - Bradman - Tendulkar - Sobers - Gilchrist - Miller- Hadlee - Warne - Lillee - Murali

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I'm not so keen on Gupte, Chandra and Mankad all taking the ball across RH bats. I would be picking someone who spins the ball the other way such as Prasanna, most likely instead of Gupte.
    It's true that they all bowl across the RH batsman, but the techniques are all different. Gupte was a leg-break googly bowler, Chandra bowled at medium pace, and Mankad was a left-armer. Hence the ball would be pitching on different areas of the wicket and have different trajectories. I don't think that any batsman could settle into any sort of routine easily with 2-3 of those bowlers operating.
    Last edited by watson; 12-09-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Gibbs is not on the level of O'Reilly and Warne, but he is in the level right below. The openers are under rated and Walcott was a very good keeper. Great team that.
    With Sobers in the team I don't see much utility for Gibbs.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    True, they should be included. Who do we have?

Smith
    B. Richards
    Kallis
    G. Pollock
    Nourse
    Taylor
    Procter
    D.Lindsay
    S. Pollock
    H. Tayfield
    A. Donald

Cracking side. Steyn not far off.

You're right, and perhaps it's interesting that we're leaving a couple out of the Australian side to accomodate Miller as an AR and the two spinners. If we didn't include Miller (heresy, I know), Aust might have...

Trumper
    Simpson
    Bradman
    G.Chappell
    Ponting or Harvey
    Border
    Gilchrist
    Lindwall
    Lillee
    Warne or O'Reilly
    McGrath

...and Aust would have 3 legitimate contenders (plus THE MAN AT 3) as well.

Agree with you on he comparison between the bowlers. Miller and Marshall are somewhat comparable imo, Marshall is no doubt better as a quick, but not by a maaaaaaassive stretch.
    The Australian side looks very different without Miller and O'Reilly (I think that you have to play Warne). In return we have gained a better fast bowler in the form of Lindwall and a significantly better batsman, Ponting/Harvey. The other plus is that Simpson and Chappell are OK with the ball. So if the wicket is turning at right-angles the side can still have a spinner operating at both ends of the wicket, albeit of the same variety.

On balance - about the same strength I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Amar Singh seems like an interesting character. Only 7 Tests but still gets big rap from Hutton and Hammond;

Amar Singh | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Still hard to leave out Javagal Srinath/Zaheer Khan though because of their proven, although not brilliant, track records.
    Last edited by watson; 12-09-2012 at 06:45 AM.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Who are the three contenders Monk, to me the only middle order batsmen who can be seen as a legitimate contender for the title of best after Bradman are : Wally Hammond, Sachin Tendulkar, George Headley, Brian Lara, Viv Richards, Garry Sobers, Graeme Pollock, Greg Chappell.
    Last edited by kyear2; 12-09-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Australian XI with a twist:

Gilchrist
    M Waugh
    Ponting
    Jones
    Hussey
    Bevan
    Symonds
    Warne
    Lee
    Lillee
    McGrath
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Australian XI with a twist:

Gilchrist
    M Waugh
    Ponting
    Jones
    Hussey
    Bevan
    Symonds
    Warne
    Lee
    Lillee
    McGrath
    This is twisting them out of shape

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Incoming heresy.

M.A. Taylor*
    D.G. Bradman
    R.T. Ponting
    G.S. Chappell
    A.R. Border
    S.R. Waugh
    A.C. Gilchrist+
    A.K. Davidson
    S.K. Warne
    D.K. Lillee
    G.D. McGrath

Let's address the controversial picks one by one in descending order of crazy.

Why the **** is Bradman opening?

Because nobody can decide who should open in this Australian side, and we have we far, far, too many middle order ATGs to leave out, especially in light of the insistence on two specialized non-ATG openers and the forum-wide hard-on for Miller.

Here's a flimsy argument by anecdote, by no less than The Don's well-known BFF Jack Fingleton:

'It was said of Bradman that he could not bat on a sticky. That is of course nonsense. Bradman could bat better than anyone on any sort of wicket.'

In that same vein, why would Bradman batting one position higher not still make him the best batsman, and by extension the best opener, of all time? It might shave 5-10 runs off his average, but 89.94 is regardless a heckuva lot more than his closest rival Barnes, and closest feasible rival Hayden.

Look at it this way: would you prefer Simpson batting for your life in his preferred position, or Bradman doing the same while out of position?

Why the **** did you pick Taylor as his partner?

He played in the era of the most vicious and diverse pace bowling of all time, even from England in Gough, and still averaged 44 despite a spectacular form slump (three less than Morris). I think that merits a little sympathy to his average on his part.

Moreover, at the risk of sounding English, he was tactically the best Test captain Australia has ever had, and that's worth far more to a team than people give it credit for (England won matches with Brearley batting FFS).

Why Border and Waugh over more talented players like Harvey and Trumper?

Their personal record of partnerships together was utterly jawdropping, and considering Border's decade long spell of being Australia's one-man act and Waugh facing the same bowling as Taylor while doing even better, it would be horribly demoralizing to any side to try and break that partnership, or even see one of them still there - given their records of marshalling the tail to score more runs than they otherwise would is also exemplary. Their respective records against the West Indies go without saying.

Why Davo over Lindwall?

Davidson offers variety to the attack as a left-armer, was an utter miser with his economy rate (giving Lillee and Warne license to bowl constantly aggressive Iines and capitalise on pressure built) and obviously could bat a bit. A secondary consideration: bowling stump-to-stump as a left armer would create a lot of footmarks right outside off-stump, which makes Warnie's job much more fun in the second innings - as opposed to him aiming for normal foot marks two meters outside leg where he almost always got padded away.

Where's Miller?

He's a liability in the middle order, averaging a good twenty less than everyone else, and I have absolute trust in the four front liners to take 20 wickets (it's also worth noting that Davidson had exceptional stamina bowling long spells, which was noticed during a tour of India). He can play at 12, I'm feeling magnanimous.

Other notes:

- Tremendous slip cordon with Taylor at first, Ponting at second and Chappell at third.
    - High standard of sledging with Waugh, Warne, Chappell and Lillee (assuming mental disintegration is factored into simmed matches).
    Last edited by LongHopCassidy; 12-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Thread Information