Page 144 of 209 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 3131
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    I agree, I might only see the wrong lists, but, I see a fair few with Hutton, but I guess he was good as well, just opinions
    Hobbs and Hutton never played together. Personally, I see Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe as the 3 greatest openers of all time. Gavaskar is a close fourth. Most people do choose Hutton over Sutcliffe to partner Hobbs.

Hobbs is pretty much an automatic selection. I choose Sutcliffe because he played with Hobbs, and they had the most successful opening partnership of all time. Plus you know, this.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Hobbs and Hutton never played together. Personally, I see Hobbs, Hutton and Sutcliffe as the 3 greatest openers of all time. Gavaskar is a close fourth. Most people do choose Hutton over Sutcliffe to partner Hobbs.

Hobbs is pretty much an automatic selection. I choose Sutcliffe because he played with Hobbs, and they had the most successful opening partnership of all time. Plus you know, this.
    Hutton is generally my first choice because of the Lindwall and Miller 'factor'. Gregory and McDonald were good, but Australia's post-WWII new ball bowlers were simply better.
    Last edited by watson; 23-06-2013 at 04:27 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    Just based on statsguru (batting stats in each position, bowling stats for openers, first change etc) an ATG team would look like this (min 30 innings)

Herbert Sutcliffe
    Bruce Mitchell
    Don Bradman*
    Everton Weekes
    AB de Villiers
    Shivnarine Chanderpaul
    Adam Gilchrist+
    Muttiah Muralitharan (3)
    George Lohmann (1)
    Sydney Barnes (2)
    Courtney Walsh (4)

Thanks, I wish i'd been there at the 1930 Ashes, some GREAT players there, the list goes on and on.

For mine Hutton is also an automatic pick over Sutcliffe for two reasons. He faced much better bowlers with Lindwall and Miller and Ramadin and Valentine ect, additionally while Hutton wasn't the fastest scorer, Sutcliffe was down right pedestrian and scored just too slowly. Also it should be noted that while Sutcliffe had the higher compared to Hobbs and batted together, Hobbs was still unnanimously seen as the better batsman, also of interest is that Hobbs seemed to make all openers who played with him better including Rhodes. Finally Hobbs and Hutton were both #1 openers, while Sutcliffe was the clear #2 to Hobbs.

If we were to choose opening bowlers as a tandem though (which isn't a merit less idea) it would have to be Marshall and Garner.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    The more I learn about Hutton, the more I admire him. I think he's probably the greatest opener ever.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    1. Sir Jack Hobbs
    2. Barry Richards
    3. Sir Donald Bradman
    4. Sir Viv Richards
    5. Sir Garfield Sobers
    6. Graeme Pollock
    7. Alan Knott
    8. Shane Warne
    9. Dennis Lillee
    10. Curtly Ambrose
    11. Malcolm Marshall
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The more I learn about Hutton, the more I admire him. I think he's probably the greatest opener ever.
    I agree - had he had a full international career I think Barry Richards would have shaded him, but he didn't, so it's still Sir Len in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yup, especially when one considers that horrible injury he sustained suring the war, the bowlers he faced before and after the war and breaking Bradman's record againts O'Reilly with Bradman starring him down from cover.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    - Len Hutton
    - Barry Richards
    - Don Bradman
    - Greg Chappell
    - Viv Richards
    - Garry Sobers
    - Adam Gilchrist
    - Shane Warne
    - Malcolm Marshall
    - Dennis Lillee
    - Glenn McGrath

I just can't see this team being beaten very often by any other combo. Has it all really. Would love to fit a left arm quick (Wasim) in there, and also to have one more left hand bat in the top 6, but there's no reason why Sobers couldn't bat at 4 if the captain was inclined.

Highly competent cordon- Barry Richards, Greg Chappell, Shane Warne and Garry Sobers.

A composite AT XI using recent named XI's in this thread and using XI's listed in sigs shows an interesting trend. No Tendulkar. It's a very small sample but using the teams listed on this page and the XI's of coronis, D.O.G., Watson and myself the only unanimous picks would be Bradman, Sobers and Marshall with Warne and Hobbs just missing from one. Tendulkar made just one of those teams (mine). A composite team would be.

Jack Hobbs (5)
    Len Hutton (4)
    Don Bradman (6)
    Graeme Pollock (3)
    Viv Richards (3)
    Garry Sobers (6)
    Adam Gilchrist (4)
    Malcolm Marshall (6)
    Shane Warne (5)
    Dennis Lillee (3)
    Glenn McGrath (3)

As ususal the two middle order slots and the two fast bolwer slots behind Marshall were the closest and most varied contests. After Zimbabwe will do an open vote fo an AT XI similar to the ones conducted for the different nations, or one similar to how Cricinfo did their selection with each person naming their first two XI's with 6 points for a fist team vote and 2 for a place in the second team. Probably the latter.
    Just a reminder, the official team we selected using Benauds method was : Hobbs, Hutton, Bradman, Richards, Tendulkar, Sobers, Gilchrist, Imran, Marshall, Warne and Mcgrath.
    Last edited by kyear2; 23-06-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Currently reworking my second team. Note, a work in progress.

Barry Richards
    Sunil Gavaskar
    George Headley
    Greg Chappell
    Brian Lara
    Jacques Kallis
    Clyde Walcott +
    Alan Davidson
    Curtly Ambrose
    Dennis Lillee
    Mutiah Muralitharan

Walcott in because the more I speak to people who saw him keep the more I am convinced he was a very good keeper, plus he is also probably the most under rated batsman in test cricket and for me better than Weekes or Worrell with the bat, though probably the least aesthetically pleasing. I am currently in a Barry Richards deserves to be in the first team phase, but don't think Hutton should be dropped, and Hobbs is the master after all.
    Last edited by kyear2; 23-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.

kyear, the Zim XI has been going for almost a month, I don't think it would be a problem doing the all time now.

I like the idea of having to name 2 teams, I wonder why they thought 6 points for the top team and 2 points for the second team were relevant numbers to win? Perhaps its because it Shield Cricket that's how many points you get for an outright win and a first innings win.

State Vice-Captain
    A knights XI

Sir John Berry Hobbs
    Sir Leonard Hutton
    Sir Donald George Bradman*
    Sir Everton de Courcy Weekes
    Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards
    Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers
    Sir Clyde Leopold Walcott+
    Sir Ian Terence Botham
    Sir Richard John Hadlee
    Sir H.D.G Leveson Gower
    Sir Alec Victor Bedser

Needed Leveson Gower for some spin. Was tempted by Cardus.

12th man Nick Knight.

Thread Information