• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
[HR][/HR]
I am probably going to get laughed out of here but this is my ATG team formed by stuff I have seen(only priority unless its Bradman/Sobers) and have read. Reasons for my picks might not make sense to you but it does to me and I cbf making long posts explaining why I picked the players that I picked but I am willing engage people with one or two lines.:p

So here goes:

Matthew Hayden
Virender Sehwag
Don Bradman*
Sachin Tendulkar
Garry Sobers
Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Muthiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Reserves:
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Ian Healy
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Love this team. Batting lineup would just demolish anyone. Totally get the logic of Hayden and Sehwag. If conditions suits them, they'd demolish the bowlers if they get out cheaply, you have Bradman and Tendulkar to rebuild. Richards at 6 is weird though. Sobers was plenty aggressive himself. Could play brilliantly with the tail too, and if you already have Gilchrist at 7, it kinda makes sense to split him and Richards

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Fair enough side, but if you're picking Bradman and Sobers, I can see no reason not to consider guys like Hutton as an opener.
Was also going to as why Harden and especially Sehwag over Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar or even Greenidge.
When you have Bradman at 3 why would you want defensive openers? All openers mentioned by you two were similar in some way with their scoring rate but you almost never have a chance to pick a guy who can score run a ball double and triple hundreds when he gets going. And the other guy's conversion rate is almost too good to be true. I didn't pick my side to play a hypothetical 2nd greatest XI but a XI that I consider to be second best. Considering who I have in mind for that side, this side is more than strong enough to flog them.:p

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
When you have Bradman at 3 why would you want defensive openers? All openers mentioned by you two were similar in some way with their scoring rate but you almost never have a chance to pick a guy who can score run a ball double and triple hundreds when he gets going. And the other guy's conversion rate is almost too good to be true. I didn't pick my side to play a hypothetical 2nd greatest XI but a XI that I consider to be second best. Considering who I have in mind for that side, this side is more than strong enough to flog them.:p
Greenidge was infamously quick scoring, not quite to Sehwag's standard but I'd imagine even slightly quicker than Hayden.

This knock is the stuff of dreams - 2nd Test: England v West Indies at Lord's, Jun 28-Jul 3, 1984 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo - Botham takes 8fer in the first, Greenidge still reckons he's ****e. Tonked.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ATG Players I've seen:
Graham Gooch
Geoff Boycott
Rahul Dravid
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Ian Botham
Richard Hadlee
Alan Knott
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose

Slifer

International Captain
That I've seen/heard on the radio live:

Greenidge
Anwar
Sir Viv
Sachin
Lara
S Waugh
Gilchrist+
Imran*
Marshall
Murali
Mcgrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That I've seen:

Greenidge
Taylor *
Ponting
Tendulkar
Richards
Lara
Gilchrist +
Marshall
Hadlee
Warne
McGrath

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly my viewing experience is quite limited. I'm going to try and discount the slightly older stuff I've seen on youtube and only include the ones I saw live.

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Johnson
Warne
Steyn
McGrath

Would love to have Akram in for Johnson, but I must be honest with myself. Pretty damn good team.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Because ATG XIs are too boring here is an alternate XI that should compete with the best of them:

Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
Greg Chappell
Gary Sobers
Les Ames
Ray Lindwall
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Bill O'Reilly.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Current faves XI

Len Hutton
Vic Trumper
Rohan Kanhai
Neil Harvey
Bill Ponsford
Keith Miller
Godfrey Evans
Hugh Trumble
Richard Hadlee
CTB Turner
Dennis Lillee

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Bill Ponsford
:) Love that team.

Here's a team of players I love, none from my ATG team.

Warner
Barnes
Sangakkara
Ponsford
McCabe
Chanderpaul
Ames+
Hadlee
Akram
Lillee
Grimmett

No idea who would captain tbh. Hadlee maybe?

watson

Banned
Current faves XI

Len Hutton
Vic Trumper
Rohan Kanhai
Neil Harvey
Bill Ponsford
Keith Miller
Godfrey Evans
Hugh Trumble
Richard Hadlee
CTB Turner
Dennis Lillee
I've watched a fair amount of batting on Youtube, but Kanhai's square-drive off Jeff Thomson in the 1975 World Cup Final remains my favourite shot to this day. It has the contempt of Viv Richards, but the grace of Gower;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjEWEB62bno

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Because ATG XIs are too boring here is an alternate XI that should compete with the best of them:

Barry Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Donald Bradman
Wally Hammond
Greg Chappell
Gary Sobers
Les Ames
Ray Lindwall
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Bill O'Reilly.
Love your theory on the team. Not particularly the players I'd choose. But that's the point I guess.