• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Pretty sure true all rounders date back since the dawn of cricket as well. Also fast spinners were pretty common in the early areas, so I can't imagine barnes was the first either

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Shahid Afridi - First one to dance on the pitch and eat the cricket ball for lunch
Roy Gilchrist - First one to brand his wife with a hot iron
Shane Warne - First one to alter his face
Shoaib Akhtar - First one to get genital warts

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The XI of Greats who did something first:

WG Grace - First great modern batsman
Virender Sehwag - First ultra aggressive opener Trumper was doing it 100 years ago. Roy Fredericks, Gordon Greenidge, Arthur Morris...

Don Bradman - First to make really big, huge scores consistently, not to mention the 99..., well you know. Ponsford
Garry Sobers - Three types of bowling, plus the first really great left handed batsman Neil Harvey
Ranjitsinghji - First to open up the leg side to batsmen

Keith Miller - First true all rounder all rounder Jack Gregory, George Giffen
Adam Gilchrist - First ultra aggressive batsman keeper Les Ames

Sydney Barnes - First fast spinner
Harold Larwood - First great fast bowler with bounce and swing
Frank Tyson - First truly ultra fast bowler
Muttiah Muralitharan - Unique, one of a kind bowler
Just some thoughts

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wtf, is it usual these days for Cricinfo to list the precise street someone was born in and the precise burial place?

watson

Banned
David Harris, for a bit of variety
In taking my place at the wicket, I almost felt as if taking my ground in a duel... and my terrors were so much increased by the mock pity and sympathy of Hammond, Beldham, and others round the wicket, that when this mighty bowler, this Jupiter tonas, hurled his bolt at me, I shut my eyes in the intensity of my panic, and mechanically gave a random desperate blow, which, to my utter astonishment, was followed by a loud cry all over the ring of 'run, run'.

– Playwright Lord Frederick Reynolds on facing Harris.
It appears that English batting hasn't changed much in more than 200 years.

Slifer

International Captain
Blogs: Kartikeya Date: Which batsmen thrive against the best bowlers? | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

I thought that the above study which compares all the batsman who have scored more than 10000 runs was interesting. That Tendulkar and Lara have set the pace is hardly surprising, but Sangakkara has proven himself to be not far off those two greats.

Kallis and Dravidian were somewhat disappointing, while Jayawardene is not a patch on his compatriot.
That analysis definitely gave my boy Lara his due. For all the people who cry about his flawed technique, flat track runs, and bla bla bla, the guy very rarely came up against dire attacks (unlike many of his contemporaries). Consider this, in his 131 test career Lara only played Zim/Bang 4 times (2x each). Imagine if he had played as many tests as the likes of .......that's all I'll say fo rnow.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
What is the best team you can make within the constraints of the recent cricket budget draft. Here are the rules:
A random idea I had:

Basically, it's a standard all-time draft but each team has a budget of :

500 Test caps
30000 Test runs
1000 Test wickets.

To allow some flexibilityy and variation between teams in any round of the draft, prior to making your pick, you may elect to 'exchange' 100 wickets for 3000 runs or vice versa.
So you may adjust your budget to 27000 runs and 1100 wickets or 33000 runs and 900 wickets.
This may only be done once and is irreversible.

I apologise in advance if this ends up horribly. As I said it's a random idea and I've not put masses of thought into whether the budgets work or not but they should be roughly ok.
Half a team of Warwick Armstrongs and half a team of Trevor Goddards gets you pretty close.

Register interest below as usual.
No Bradman. 18 hour pick limit.
Ignore the flexibility clause. So you have to manage in the original budget limits.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
What is the best team you can make within the constraints of the recent cricket budget draft. Here are the rules:

Ignore the flexibility clause. So you have to manage in the original budget limits.
01. Jack Hobbs
02. Herbert Sutcliffe
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. George Headley
06. Keith Miller
07. Les Ames
08. Mike Procter
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Bill O'Reilly

Sneaks in at 498 Tests.