+Andy Flower
    *Imran Khan
    Richard Hadlee
    Wasim Akram
    Malcom Marshall/Bill O'Reilly
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Startling.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You tanked out on the funnest part. Zohrer and Taibu are certs as bowlers. Dhoni and de Villiers bowl handy medium pace.. can we count Andrew Hall as a wicket keeper? Dilshan?
    Matthew Wade bowls his first Test over - YouTube

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Startling.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    And 1 against SRL as well.Lets also mention he never toured Asia again on account of his business responsibilities & fake injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by H4G View Post
    There are many people who would say McGrath is better than Lillee. Lillee was very successful on bowling friendly wickets of Australia & England but failed miserably on Asian wickets and avoided touring asian countries a few times on account of fake injuries & "business committments".

State Vice-Captain
    Interesting, very interesting.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Top 5 Captains by winning %, for those to captain 20 matches
    Steve Waugh, 57 tests, 41 wins, 9 losses and 7 draws (71.93%)
    Don Bradman, 24 tests, 15 wins, 3 losses and 6 draws (62.50%)
    Ricky Ponting, 77 tests, 48 wins, 16 losses and 13 draws (62.34%)
    Lindsay Hassett, 24 tests, 14 wins, 4 losses and 6 draws (58.33%)
    Mike Brearley, 31 tests, 18 wins, 4 losses and 9 draws (58.06%)

Unsurprising top 5 really, with Waugh and Ponting, along with Bradman, playing in some of the best teams of all time. Hassett, inherited the captaincy and a wonderful team from Bradman. Brearley's captaincy period was dominated by Botham, in his peak. Bradman and Brearly both have a very low percentage of losses. While Steve Waugh dominates in terms of draws.

For the record, Viv, had a winning percentage of 54, but a huge 30% draw rate. Imran Khan was captain for 48 tests, and only won 14 (29.17%). Under his captaincy, Pakistan drew more than half the games they played, having a low percentage of losses.
    Though it would have been much better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by H4G View Post
    Imran not only won in Australia & England & almost won three series(I think 2 of them were drawn due to very pathetic & patriotic umpiring) against West Indies when everyone else was getting hammered.but I wouldn't call that or world cup as his greatest achievement but uniting a disassembled team like Pakistan into a match winning unit which never happened before him & hasn't happened since his retirement till now.Before his retirement he was able to prepare a crop of players & until their retirement Pakistan remained a very strong team.
    Seriously? Three LBW decisions, compared to "patriotic umpires" The W.I had one of if the the faiest set of umpires in the world during the period. and of the crown disturbances in the Caribbean were caused by decisions againts our own players.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumbinfront View Post
    I am tired of hearing about how poor Imran Khan and his side lost some series because of bad umpiring. Shakoor Rana was responsible for a number of series victories by that measure and certainly helped Javed Miandad a little with his average. Let's not make out Imran - a bloke who not averse to bending rules (bottle caps *cough*) - was some sort of victim. Fair enough he may have copped a few bad decisions but equally he and his team benefitted from utterly biased umpring at home. The Pakistani bowlers would just have to hit the pads and boom, lbw! Don't wish to side track the discussion but yeah....
    Imran out of the great fast bowlers had one of the largest disparities between his home and away record 19.20 avg vs 25.76 and s/r 47 vs 59. Lets not try to re write history.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant
    You can change your name Bhupinder but you can't change your finger prints which are all over H4G.

Btw plumbinfront Imran was magnificent. Lets not change history. Just acknowledge it.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 30-04-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Banned
    What? I never said Imran alone benefitted from biased umpiring at home, I was talking about the Pakistani as a whole. IK was a great bowler, I have never denied that. Just annoying to see Pakistan being made some sort of victim of poor umpiring, when they've had more than their fair share of crap umpiring at home. And as annoyed as I am at how touchy some Imran fans are, I will never say he wasn't a great player. The sun didn't shine from every orifice of his, that's it. ATG he is. Never meant to insinuate that he is what he is because of bad umpiring or something.

International Debutant
    Fair enough.

Similarily agree, Imran makes my ATG XI, but to say he is the best or second best player to play the game, they are too many red lights there for me.
    The captaincy thing is subjective at best and not something I place too great an emphasis on, Lloyd was supposedly a great captain, but didn't show it in county cricket, Worrell brought his team together and brought life back into the game along with Benaud in the '60's, but that wouldn't be required on a different team in a different era. Great stategic planing and field placing is important, and the overall vision for a team, but the rest of it is just a little exaggerated.
    His fielding wasn't very good, dispite opinion to the contrary he didn't peak or perform consistently with the bat and ball at the same and there was a reason for the difference between his home and away stats beyond the pitches. There are other factors as well, but in the end ATG yes, best all rounder or cricketer, for me no.

Home away disparity is BS if the player is already accepted as a great. Just look at Lara abd Sobers's records.

One of the reasons I don't rate Sobers the best bat after Bradman, that and batting so much at #6. But a batting average of 50 away was pretty excellent considering the bolwers he faced in tough conditions in Australia and England.

Also never said a bowling average of 25 was bad.
    Last edited by kyear2; 01-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Similarily agree, Imran makes my ATG XI, but to say he is the best or second best player to play the game, they are too many red lights there for me.
    The captaincy thing is subjective at best and not something I place too great an emphasis on, Lloyd was supposedly a great captain, but didn't show it in county cricket, Worrell brought his team together and brought life back into the game along with Benaud in the '60's, but that wouldn't be required on a different team in a different era. Great stategic planing and field placing is important, and the overall vision for a team, but the rest of it is just a little exaggerated.
    His fielding wasn't very good, dispite opinion to the contrary he didn't peak or perform consistently with the bat and ball at the same and there was a reason for the difference between his home and away stats beyond the pitches. There are other factors as well, but in the end ATG yes, best all rounder or cricketer, for me no.
    He had an away average of 25.76 as you say. Which would probably only be marginally below other ATG I think. And an away avg of 25 is nothing to be scoffed at.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 01-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

No it isn't.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Imran's record as captain is certainly not the best, however what adds to it is that he fought tooth and nail against the best team in the world and that he united a team that has always been known for in-fighting. No other captain from around the world could have united a team like he did.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Imran's record as captain is certainly not the best, however what adds to it is that he fought tooth and nail against the best team in the world and that he united a team that has always been known for in-fighting. No other captain from around the world could have united a team like he did.
    The cool thing about having them both in a team together would be you get a brilliant batsman who could possibly play as a bowler, and a brilliant bowler who could possibly play as a batsman. Stick Gilchrist between them and you bat to #8/

Thread Information