• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

smash84

The Tiger King
I actually tend to think that people end up under rating Imran's bowling. At his peak there has probably never been a better bowler and he was no one-trick pony. Could put pressure on good batting line-ups and would raise his game against good opposition.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes was supposed to be Wasim and Lillee or McGrath and Imran.

Honestly don't know which would be better and more effective.

Pragmatically Imran and Mcgrath makes the most sense as Imran brings his batting and McGrath was successful everywhere and so clinical, Wasim and Lillee bring a mix of genius and aggression that is almost unmatched. Lillee and Wasim had every trick up their sleeves and most of their peers named them the best of their times. So even though McGrath and Imran statistically all of the anecdotal evidence points to Lillee and Akram. Really tough to choose.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
At his peak there has probably never been a better bowler.
I don't know if I'd go this far but he was definitely as good as any other quick bowler.

I think his all round skills take away from the legacy as a quick bowler. If he'd only been a pace bowler people would probably regard him better as a bowler.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
A question rolling around in my head.

With Marshall and Warne intrenched and the first two bowlers selected in most ATG XI's, which if the better combination to partner them

Lillee and Wasim
or
McGrath and Imran

Know these are not everyone'c choices, I just wan't a feeling on who people think would be more effective.
McGrath > Lillee
Imran > Wasim

No brainer as far as I am concerned.

When are any of these ****s going to pick Murali in their XIs? Everyone misses out in one team or the other, but Warne is a constant despite having such a worthy contender who on many counts is superior.

Flem274*

123/5
Warne wins on batting and fielding for me, and I think others use that justification too.

Though strangely no one extends it to the fast bowlers (well I do, but my opinion doesn't count).

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if I'd go this far but he was definitely as good as any other quick bowler.

I think his all round skills take away from the legacy as a quick bowler. If he'd only been a pace bowler people would probably regard him better as a bowler.
Yeah, it's strange how thats happened.
A guy who is equivalent to 60 avg batsman and one who avgs close to 40 with the bat himself is overlooked in favour of other bowlers.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, it's strange how thats happened.
A guy who is equivalent to 60 avg batsman and one who avgs close to 40 with the bat himself is overlooked in favour of other bowlers.
Statistically probably closer to 50-55 at most imo equivalent. But I thought it was just about building a bowling unit? I'd rather have Imran McGrath (as I said earlier) if it was team wise. But just taking the 20 wickets it's not as clear cut I don't think.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Statistically probably closer to 50-55 at most imo equivalent. But I thought it was just about building a bowling unit? I'd rather have Imran McGrath (as I said earlier) if it was team wise. But just taking the 20 wickets it's not as clear cut I don't think.
25 = 50
21 = 60
17.5 = 70
14.5 = 80
12 = 90
10 = 100
imo

He played on a bit too long (his career spanned around 20 yrs), so his net figure is by no means a true reflection of his abilities anyway.

The Battlers Prince

25 = 50
21 = 60
17.5 = 70
14.5 = 80
12 = 90
10 = 100
imo

He played on a bit too long (his career spanned around 20 yrs), so his net figure is by no means a true reflection of his abilities anyway.
Stat's are only ever indicators. Imran was a hell of a bowler, and very decent with the bat for his sides needs. But I just prefer Lillee, possibly because of only really seeing youtube and other videos when he was bowling well. But it's pretty much the same for me with Imran too, didn't really see him. Statistically McGrath and Imran get the nod, but I prefer Lillee and Wasim to join Marshall. Again though, it's a tough call.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd like to see

McGrath
Hadlee
Garner
Warne
plus Sobers

Bowl as a combo.

Relentless.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Random-want-to-see-play-right-now XI:

Barry
Viv
Bradman
Tendulkar
Kanhai
Sobers *
Gilly +
Wasim
Lindwall
Roberts
O' Reilly

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Random-want-to-see-play-right-now XI:

Barry
Viv
Bradman
Tendulkar
Kanhai
Sobers *
Gilly +
Wasim
Lindwall
Roberts
O' Reilly
That's a great side, these guys want a game against them. I think it'd be good fun game
1. John Hobbs
2.Wally Hammond
3.George Headley
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Allan Border
6. Clive Lloyd*
7. Keith Miller
8.Peter Pollock
9.Bert Oldfield +
10.Fred Trueman
11. James Laker

The Battlers Prince