Page 132 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 3417
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well you're obviously going to think your own side is better given you straight up picked what you consider to be an ATWXI. It goes without saying that no-one will be able to name a team you consider better.
    hmmm.....fair point.....

At least he did pick a close enough bowling attack
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H4G View Post
    Flower was always a good keeper, he might not be in same league as Healy,Knott & Latif's but was as good as Gilchrist if not better.And Was without any doubt is best left arm bowler ever if not best bowler ever.
    Flower was really a poor keeper and while Gilchrist wasn't the best keeper ever he was certainly brilliant especially to Warne and for me a certainty for any AT XI, and if not Gilly then Knotty for sure. Walcott for all I have read and from people I have spoken too was a better keeper than Flower and it wasn't close.

Wasim is probably the second best LH fast bowler, but as the greatest? More tai end wickets taken than top or middle order batsmen, and never once topped a rating of 850 far less being the top rated bowler of his era. Yes he could do amazing things with the ball, but the results were not there to match.

Regarding captaincy, Bradman was strategically very good and commanded the respect of his team mates and could set an example in the field. Will have to see who had the better win loss record as well. And if that is the criteria for being a good captain then what about Viv who never lost a test series. Overall though, Bradman for me.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

H4G
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Flower was really a poor keeper and while Gilchrist wasn't the best keeper ever he was certainly brilliant especially to Warne and for me a certainty for any AT XI, and if not Gilly then Knotty for sure. Walcott for all I have read and from people I have spoken too was a better keeper than Flower and it wasn't close.

Wasim is probably the second best LH fast bowler, but as the greatest? More tai end wickets taken than top or middle order batsmen, and never once topped a rating of 850 far less being the top rated bowler of his era. Yes he could do amazing things with the ball, but the results were not there to match.

Regarding captaincy, Bradman was strategically very good and commanded the respect of his team mates and could set an example in the field. Will have to see who had the better win loss record as well. And if that is the criteria for being a good captain then what about Viv who never lost a test series. Overall though, Bradman for me.
    If your criteria for better captain is win loss record only then I can only laugh at that.In last 20 years best captain I have seen is Stephen Fleming but his record is poor.Win loss depends on strength of team more than captaincy.

And I find it really funny that when defending their heroes they would often use "His contemporaries rate him very high" but they forget their own criteria when it comes to other players.This is pure double standards.yes I am Imran Khan's fan but he is rated as one of the greatest ever bowlers,allrounders,captains & cricketers not only by his contemporaries but other cricket greats,journalists,fans etc.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Is that a crustacean possessed by the devil or something?

Please feel free someone to finish the Wicketkeeper XI. The topic of Bowling Wicketkeepers is not my forte.
    He was that 19th century England 'keeper who was brought on in desperation to bowl when Australia were about 500-6, an almost unheard of sort of score in those days, and rapidly took the last four wickets bowling underarm

International Captain
    I don't think even the statsguru can produce four Test class Keeper/bowlers.

State Vice-Captain
    Top 5 Captains by winning %, for those to captain 20 matches
    Steve Waugh, 57 tests, 41 wins, 9 losses and 7 draws (71.93%)
    Don Bradman, 24 tests, 15 wins, 3 losses and 6 draws (62.50%)
    Ricky Ponting, 77 tests, 48 wins, 16 losses and 13 draws (62.34%)
    Lindsay Hassett, 24 tests, 14 wins, 4 losses and 6 draws (58.33%)
    Mike Brearley, 31 tests, 18 wins, 4 losses and 9 draws (58.06%)

Unsurprising top 5 really, with Waugh and Ponting, along with Bradman, playing in some of the best teams of all time. Hassett, inherited the captaincy and a wonderful team from Bradman. Brearley's captaincy period was dominated by Botham, in his peak. Bradman and Brearly both have a very low percentage of losses. While Steve Waugh dominates in terms of draws.

For the record, Viv, had a winning percentage of 54, but a huge 30% draw rate. Imran Khan was captain for 48 tests, and only won 14 (29.17%). Under his captaincy, Pakistan drew more than half the games they played, having a low percentage of losses.
    Last edited by Coronis; 30-04-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

H4G
    Banned
    Imran not only won in Australia & England & almost won three series(I think 2 of them were drawn due to very pathetic & patriotic umpiring) against West Indies when everyone else was getting hammered.but I wouldn't call that or world cup as his greatest achievement but uniting a disassembled team like Pakistan into a match winning unit which never happened before him & hasn't happened since his retirement till now.Before his retirement he was able to prepare a crop of players & until their retirement Pakistan remained a very strong team.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I don't think even the statsguru can produce four Test class Keeper/bowlers.
    Don Tallon fancied himself as a leggie so much so that at the start of the 1949/50 season he only made himself available for Queensland on that basis - they called his bluff and left him out of the first game (not a difficult decision given Wally Grout was his understudy) and after that he kept wicket again - despite that he was given a long bowl (24 overs) against South Australia but he didn't get a wicket, nor did he in the whole of his First Class career (although tbf to him I believe he did have some decent hauls at Grade level)

State Vice-Captain
    Wawrick Armstrong is an underrated captain imo. Lost many years to the war, played 10 tests as captain, winning 8 and losing none, and averaged 20 more with the bat and 10 less with the ball while captaining. Clarke has been averaging 66 since picking up the captaincy, also a 20 run improvement.

and what exactly is that thing?
    Flower looks way out of place.

The rest of the lineup is terrific.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

State Vice-Captain
    What do you guys think of this lineup:

1. Jack Hobbs
    2. Herb Sutcliffe
    3. Don Bradman*
    4. Graeme Pollock
    5. Wally Hammond
    6. Garry Sobers
    7. Adam Gilchrist+
    8. Mike Procter
    9. Wasim Akram
    10. Malcolm Marshall
    11. Shane Warne

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    It is a very good line up with good batting and a very versatile bowling attack

Cricket Spectator
    Imran not only won in Australia & England & almost won three series(I think 2 of them were drawn due to very pathetic & patriotic umpiring) against West Indies when everyone else was getting hammered.but I wouldn't call that or world cup as his greatest achievement but uniting a disassembled team like Pakistan into a match winning unit which never happened before him & hasn't happened since his retirement till now.Before his retirement he was able to prepare a crop of players & until their retirement Pakistan remained a very strong team.
    Imran never won a series in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Is that a crustacean possessed by the devil or something?

Please feel free someone to finish the Wicketkeeper XI. The topic of Bowling Wicketkeepers is not my forte.
    Never bowled in tests but George Brown kept wicket for England and took over 600 first class wickets.

Mark Boucher got a test wicket didn't he?

Banned
    I am tired of hearing about how poor Imran Khan and his side lost some series because of bad umpiring. Shakoor Rana was responsible for a number of series victories by that measure and certainly helped Javed Miandad a little with his average. Let's not make out Imran - a bloke who not averse to bending rules (bottle caps *cough*) - was some sort of victim. Fair enough he may have copped a few bad decisions but equally he and his team benefitted from utterly biased umpring at home. The Pakistani bowlers would just have to hit the pads and boom, lbw! Don't wish to side track the discussion but yeah....

Thread Information