• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
I can only make a team from those I have seen...(from early 90's)

Saeed Anwar
Mathew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn/ Muthaiah Muralidharan (depending on the surface)
Curtley Ambrose
Glenn Mcgrath

Extras: Ricky Ponting, Jack Kallis, Wasim Akram

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can only make a team from those I have seen...(from early 90's)

Saeed Anwar
Matthew Hayden
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn/ Muttiah Muralitharan (depending on the surface)
Curtly Ambrose
Glenn McGrath

Extras: Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Wasim Akram
I think it is just wrong to rate Dravid ahead of Ponting, but to each his own.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
and for the ODI's

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Dean Jones
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Micheal Bevan
Abdul Razzak
Shane Warne
Wasim Akram
Curtley Ambrose
Glenn Mcgrath

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
In my team, I would want Rahul Dravid to come out at no. 3, there is nothing more to it...
Fair enough, your team, I personally think the Wall would do just as good a job at 5-6, personally think Lara and Ponting are better 3's than he was. It's a close call though, so the fact you've put him ahead is as you say a personal choice. But I wouldn't make that call :unsure:

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
While I rate Ponting higher, this is a bit harsh
Yes, I agree with this, because there is no daylight between the two, the thing is much closer than what it has sometimes been made out to...for me, it's a very very difficult thing to choose, and while making the team, this was, for me, the toughest choice. Now that they have both finished their careers, there is even a magical similarity in their career stats as well, there is nothing to choose from there as well, no striking difference. Dravid has a better away record, and slightly better overall average while Ponting has few more centuries, and (this is important) a better strike rate. I can not deny that sometimes I would be tempted to put Ponting at 3 (mostly because he was more aggressive and you may say decisive), having said that Dravid would come more handy in certain match situations. Generally I would love to have Dravid because of the stability and reliability he provides...may be all this boils down to where you are playing, and selecting Dravid or Ponting based on that might just be the best thing to do...

India - Rahul Dravid (clearly)
England - Rahul Dravid (clearly)
Australia - Ricky Ponting (clearly)
South Africa - Ricky Ponting (clearly)
Sri Lanka - Ricky Ponting (clearly)
New Zealand - Rahul Dravid (narrowly)
West Indies - Nothing to Choose (can be any)

Rahul Dravid did pretty well in Zimbabwe and Pakistan, but Ponting hardly ever played in these 2 countries, only 1 test for him, so it's not possible to choose because of inadequacy...

The Battlers Prince

An international ATG side

1.Jack Hobbs Eng
2.Sunil Gavaskar Ind
3.Kumar Sangakarra SL
4.Graeme Pollock RSA
5. Garry Sobers WI
6. Andy Flower+ Zim
7.Imran Khan Pak
8. Shakib Al Hasan Ban
9. Richard Hadlee Nz
10. Shane Warne Aus
11. Alex Cusack Ire

Just filling in time, thought I'd make a player from everywhere side, plus one Affiliate Nation

Howe_zat

Audio File
Alex Cusack is nowhere near the best cricketer from Ireland.

In fact he may well be the worst cricketer in the side right now, depending on whether Andrew White is playing.

Also he's a batsman who can bowl, not a #11.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Alex Cusack is nowhere near the best cricketer from Ireland.

In fact he may well be the worst cricketer in the side right now, depending on whether Andrew White is playing.

Also he's a batsman who can bowl, not a #11.
Well I rushed through the Associate player pretty quick, as I was just filling in time. And also, as Bradman isn't in for Australia it's clearly not best player from each side, just making a side with players from each country, not best players. Also, Sachin not in for India, and a few other spots.

Swap Sangakkara for Bradman and Warne for Murali and it's be perfect
Fair enough, I figured someone would say that, but I don't consider Murali as good as Warne. Many other ways to make the side, but I prefer this line up for now.

1.Will Porterfield Ire
2.Herb Sutcliffe Eng
3.Don Bradman Aus*
4.Jacques Kallis RSA
5. Sachin Tendulker Ind
6. Brendon McCullum NZ+
7.Malcolm Marshall WI
8. Wasim Akram Pak
9. Mohammad Rafique Ban
10. Heath Streak Zim
11. Chucka Murali SL

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd go

Jack Hobbs
Ed Joyce
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Andy Flower+
Shakib Al Hasan
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Malcolm Marshall
Muttiah Muralitharan

The Battlers Prince

Played 100+ Tests

Proven over a lot of games is the way to get in this side. As a crtain little man set about his career swansong and so many people saying how well he has done over so many matches over so many years. A few people like Clarke KP and Cook will join the 100+ soon, but for now they're out. I had a go at this side. A few people that for me I struggle to chose between for a few of the positions.

Openers
Hayden, Sehwag, Smith, Langer, Gavaskar - A tough choice, as arguments could be made for any number of them, and any number of combinations.
First Drop.
Sangakarra, Ponting, Richards, Dravid, Kallis, Lara - The hardest choice for me. This is simply a list of my favourite batsmen to watch, for different reasons of course but just awesome.
Middle Guys
Kallis, Tendulkar, Miandad, Lara, Inzamam, Chanderpaul, Border, Laxman, Gower, Ponting, Waugh, Lloyd on and on, - attack? defend? allrounder? so many choices

This is just people I have on my short list, there are others. But the team I chose is
1. Sehwag, Virender
2.Gavaskar, Sunil M.
3. Richards, Isaac V.A.
4. Kallis, Jacques H.
5. Tendulkar, Sachin R.
6.Ponting, Ricky T.
7.Healy, Ian A.
8.Pollock, Shaun M.
9.Wasim Akram
10.Warne Shane K.
11.McGrath Glenn D.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Didn't want to de-rail Captain Cook's thread but here's a ATG ODI team with Watto opening.

Shane Watson
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Dean Jones
Ricky Ponting
Javed Miandad
MS Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

watson

Banned
In response to the mega average obsession in the current Sobers V Bradman thread - here is an ATG Averaged in the 30s team. Please note that Woolley & Reid, as the allrounders, averaged in the 30s for both batting and bowling;

AVERAGED IN THE 30s XI
01. Colin McDonald
02. Peter Richardson
03. Clem Hill
04. Victor Trumper
05. Frank Woolley
06. John R Reid
07. Jock Cameron
08. Learie Constantine
09. Jack Gregory
10. Ted McDonald
11. Arthur Mailey

Anyone reckon that it can't be called an ATG XI because no one averaged better than 30 something?

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

In response to the mega average obsession in the current Sobers V Bradman thread - here is an ATG Averaged in the 30s team. Please note that Woolley & Reid, as the allrounders, averaged in the 30s for both batting and bowling;

AVERAGED IN THE 30s XI
01. Colin McDonald
02. Peter Richardson
03. Clem Hill
04. Victor Trumper
05. Frank Woolley
06. John R Reid
07. Jock Cameron
08. Learie Constantine
09. Jack Gregory
10. Ted McDonald
11. Arthur Mailey

Anyone reckon that it can't be called an ATG XI because no one averaged better than 30 something?
I love when Trumper is down the order. Could bat anywhere in the top 6. Such a great player

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually if you look at his numbers he was actually better in the middle order than when he opened