• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
South Africa since readmission

G Smith
G Kirsten
H Amla
J Kallis
D Cullinan
A de Villiers
M Boucher
S Pollock
V Philander
D Steyn
A Donald

Would compete respectably against ATG XIs from other nations.
South Africa before readmission:

Bruce Mitchell
Barry Richards
Herbie Taylor
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
Aubrey Faulkner
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
John Waite+
Vintcent van der Bijl
Hugh Tayfield

Feel as though I've forgotten someone...

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
DoG's exercise has made me take another look at the Pakitani batting line up, and while it still isn't in the same class the West Indies and Australia they are better than I though and even though I still have them 5th, they are much closer to England and separated them selves from the teams below them.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah the likes of MoYo and YK have finished much higher than I thought they would which I guess helps the batting depth. Although there is no way I would put inzy above the likes of Miandad.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia ATG XI
Arthur Morris
Robert Simpson(5)^
Sir Donald Bradman*
Greg Chappell^
Ricky Ponting
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist+
Alan Davidson(3)
Shane Warne(4)^
Denis Lillee(1)
Glenn McGrath(2)

West Indies ATG XI
Gordon Greenidge
Sir Conrad Hunte
George Headley*
Sir I.V.A. Richards^
Brian Lara^
Sir Garfield Sobers(5)^
Sir Clyde Walcott+
Malcolm Marshall(1)
Michael Holding(3)
Curtly Ambrose(2)
Joel Garner(4)

South Africa ATG XI
Barry Richards^
Graeme Smith*^
Hashim Amla
Graeme Pollock
Jacques Kallis(5)^
Dudley Nourse
Michael Procter(3)
John Waite+
Hugh Tayfield(4)
Dale Steyn(2)
Alan Donald (1)

England ATG XI
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Leonard Hutton
Walter Hammond^
Denis Compton
Ken Barrington
Sir Ian Botham(5)^
Allan Knott+
Harold Larwood(2)
Jim Laker(4)
Fred Trueman(1)
Sydney Barnes(3)

Pakistan ATG XI
Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Younis Khan^
Javed Miandad^
Inzamam Ul-Haq^
Mushtaq Mohammad(5)
Imran Khan(2)*
Rashid Latif+
Wasim Akram(3)
Fazal Mahmood(4)
Waqar Youis(1)
MoYo doesn't make the team, but Younis and especially Saeed rated quite higher than I had expected. Still don't rate Hanif that highly though. Inzi and Javed are of course world class.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually did, obviously only when he played againts us, but for me he never really stood out in my memory.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Attacking Team vs Conservative Team

M. Hayden
V. Sehwag
V. Richards
B. Lara
K. Miller
G. Sobers
I. Botham
A. Gilchrist
F. Trueman
S. Warne
D. Lillee

G. Boycott
H. Sutcliffe
D. Bradman
R. Dravid
J. Kallis
K. Barrington
A. Knott
R. Hadlee
J. Garner
C. Grimmett
G. McGrath

Last edited:

watson

Banned
yeah the likes of MoYo and YK have finished much higher than I thought they would which I guess helps the batting depth. Although there is no way I would put inzy above the likes of Miandad.
Is this opinion based purely on batting ability, or a combination of batting ability and persona? That is, do we penalise Inzy too much because he was obviously fat and rather gormless when compared to Miandad who was the opposite - athletic and quick.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, Bradman was not conservative. He famously didn't hit the ball in the air but he was still a very attacking strokemaker; not hitting sixes doesn't change that.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, Bradman was not conservative. He famously didn't hit the ball in the air but he was still a very attacking strokemaker; not hitting sixes doesn't change that.
Wasn't there one innings where he went a bit mad and cleared the ropes several times before holing out to Fleetwood-Smith? - or am I confusing that with it being Chuck's benefit?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Attacking Team vs Conservative Team

M. Hayden
V. Sehwag
V. Richards
B. Lara
K. Miller
G. Sobers
I. Botham
A. Gilchrist
F. Trueman
S. Warne
D. Lillee

G. Boycott
H. Sutcliffe
D. Bradman
R. Dravid
J. Kallis
K. Barrington
A. Knott
R. Hadlee
J. Garner
C. Grimmett
G. McGrath
That attacking XI would play some exciting innings, but usually be beaten by the conservative one.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think he was. Deliberately didn't hit the ball in the air to minimise his risk of getting out. I know he was attacking and scored quickly, but I think he played the percentages, just better than anyone else.

Maybe I could replace him with Bill Lawry though! :happy:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Excluding the first match a country plays or the first match they play after a long gap in time like for SA or something, what's the best XI that you can come up with picking consecutive test players to debut? You need someone to keep and some sort of balance is needed, although obviously it isn't going to be easy.

So far the best I can come up so far is..
1 Matthew HAYDEN
2 Michael SLATER
3 Justin LANGER
4 Mark WAUGH
5 Damien MARTYN
6 Wayne PHILLIPS+
7 Paul REIFFEL
8 Brendon JULIAN
9 Shane WARNE
10 Glenn MCGRATH
11 Jo ANGEL

watson

Banned
Wasn't there one innings where he went a bit mad and cleared the ropes several times before holing out to Fleetwood-Smith? - or am I confusing that with it being Chuck's benefit?
I'm pretty sure that the match you are thinking of is the NSW v Victoria Shield game of 1934. Here is an extract from the Sydney Morning Herald, dated 27th January;

......TERRIFIC RATE OP SCORING.

The rate of scoring at times was simply ter- rific, and was fastest during the later stages of the partnership. Bradman scored 128 of the 192 runs added in 96 minutes, his runs including 17 fours and four sixes. His first 50 runs occupied 57 minutes, but his last 78 runs took only 39 minutes to make. Once he started to flay the attack nothing could stem the flood of runs, until eventually he threw his wicket away.

The new ball made no difference to Brad- man. Mccormick and Ebeling bowled with it, and Bradman scored three fours in Ebeling's first over with terrific drives, and from 200 the score was taken to 250 in 22 minutes. Iron- monger was called upon to endeavour to keep down the runs, but Bradman powerfully drove his first two deliveries to the fence, and then swept him to the leg boundary. Finally came his slashing attack on Fleetwood-Smith.

Seventeen runs came from one over from the young left-hander, and Bradman scored 16 of them, passing the century mark after only 87 minutes' batting. In a brief but dazzling session of big hitting Bradman roused the already enthusiastic crowd to a state of ecstasy. His first six off Fleetwood-Smith was one of the mightiest hits seen at the ground for years. Bradman was hitting with the breeze from the southern end, and the ball landed on the roof of the small northern stand, close to the sight-board. When Fleetwood- Smith bowled again Bradman was obviously out to hit out or get out and it was a sensational over. The first two balls he hit for six, the second lodging on the upper deck of the members' stand and scattering excited spectators. Off the third delivery, with his score 122, Bradman was missed in the deep field by O'Brien, the batsman declining an easy single. The fourth ball went for another six—an amazing skier on the off side. Bradman played the fifth ball, and off the sixth washeld by Darling, in the long-field. Onlookers in all parts of the ground rose and cheered the great batsman as he ran from the field.

27 Jan 1934 - BRADMAN'S GUIDANCE.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just as an exercise, which fast bowling combo of the two would you prefer?

A - McGrath, Ambrose and Wasim
B - Steyn, Donald and Waqar