1 Goddard/Watson (averages 43 opening)
    2 Barlow
    3 Kallis
    4 Sobers
    5 Greig
    6 Miller
    7 Gilchrist
    8 Imran
    9 Mankad/Shakib (yeah yeah shakib, but he's a pretty good spinner who can bat really well)
    10 Botham/Dev/Procter
    11 Hadlee
    Last edited by Gowza; 24-04-2013 at 10:27 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Gowza View Post
    Allrounder combo:

1 Goddard/Watson (averages 43 opening)
    2 Barlow
    3 Kallis
    4 Sobers
    5 Greig
    6 Miller
    7 Gilchrist
    8 Imran
    9 Mankad/Shakib (yeah yeah shakib, but he's a pretty good spinner who can bat really well)
    10 Botham/Dev/Procter
    11 Hadlee
    Would take Mankad and Procter personally, and bat them both ahead of Imran. Procter a far better bowler than Kapil, and even Beefy when he was in his prime. Better bat than both of them too, scored 6 centuries in 6 innings. Also Goddard. Watson is a useless ****.

Goddard
    Barlow
    Kallis
    Sobers
    Grieg
    Miller
    Gilchrist+
    Procter
    Mankad
    Imran*
    Hadlee

Grace as one of the openers could be interesting. Also Clive Rice. I know he never played a test, but, his first class figures are outstanding.
    Last edited by Coronis; 25-04-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Would take Mankad and Procter personally, and bat them both ahead of Imran. Procter a far better bowler than Kapil, and even Beefy when he was in his prime. Better bat than both of them too, scored 6 centuries in 6 innings. Also Goddard. Watson is a useless ****.

Goddard
    Barlow
    Kallis
    Sobers
    Grieg
    Miller
    Gilchrist+
    Procter
    Mankad
    Imran*
    Hadlee

Grace as one of the openers could be interesting. Also Clive Rice. I know he never played a test, but, his first class figures are outstanding.
    yeah thought of both grace and rice when i was doing it, rice i left out for not playing a single test but it's not like procter played many nor did barry richards and i pick them both in my all time team. grace i just tend to steer clear of as i do with barnes, but definitely did think of him as an opening option.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    No Sachin, Ponting, Bradman in Dickie Bird's greatest Test XI | Cricket - News | NDTVSports.com

Dickie Bird's team is interesting. He has Lance Gibbs and Shane Warne as the spinners and only Imran and Lillee as the pacers in the team. A little short on firepower in the bowling dept perhaps
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    I'll have a crack at an all-rounder's XI.

1. WG Grace
    2. Eddie Barlow
    3. Charles Macartney
    4. Jacques Kallis
    5. Keith Miller
    6. Gary Sobers
    7. Adam Gilchrist +
    8. Mike Procter
    9. Imran Khan
    10. Richie Benaud *
    11. Richard Hadlee

Banned
    Magic Wrists XI:

Saeed Anwar
    Mark Waugh
    Brian Lara ... dat wrist-cock
    Damien Martyn
    VVS Laxman
    Mohammad Azharuddin
    MS Dhoni
    Wasim Akram
    Mohammad Asif... those loose, snappy wrists were a sight to behold
    Shane Warne
    Mutthiah Muralitharan

Subcontinent-heavy, big surprise

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    No Sachin, Ponting, Bradman in Dickie Bird's greatest Test XI | Cricket - News | NDTVSports.com

Dickie Bird's team is interesting. He has Lance Gibbs and Shane Warne as the spinners and only Imran and Lillee as the pacers in the team. A little short on firepower in the bowling dept perhaps
    Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?
    Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or Sir Len?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Lillee, B. Richards and Sobers the best he has seen. Yet another person singing the praises of Lillee and Richards calling them the best ever. Are we wrong to omit Richards for his lack of tests as he did perform brilliantly in WSC, ROW games ect. And do we just under rate Lillee period?

On the bowling side Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne with support from Sobers would seem to complement each other, wouldn't they?
    Yes, Marshall, Lillee, Barnes and Warne would be a very potent attack indeed. For variety you can put in Murali instead of Warne.

Barry Richards for me would always be the unlucky one who didn't get much of a chance at test level.

Marshall-Lillee-Barnes-Warne-Sobers has it all to test any batsman- Pace, aggression, swing, wrist-spin, finger-spin, left-arm....
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - David Gower - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

State Vice-Captain
    Also if we include Barry, who is omitted, Hobbs or ̶S̶i̶r̶ ̶L̶e̶n̶ Sutcliffe?

Fixed

Would be replacing Sutcliffe/Hutton. I'd also rather McGrath than Lillee, and Murali than Warne, but those are just personal preference.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    And do we just under rate Lillee period?
    I don't. Just saying. First picked every time.

Eds
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Marshall-Lillee-Barnes-Warne-Sobers has it all to test any batsman- Pace, aggression, swing, wrist-spin, finger-spin, left-arm....
    Sorry to be a pedant, but didn't Barnes/Warne/Sobers all 'turn' it the same way?
    "If that Swann lad is the future of spin bowling in this country, then we're ****ed." - Nasser Hussain, 1997.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    Sorry to be a pedant, but didn't Barnes/Warne/Sobers all 'turn' it the same way?
    I think its fair to say they all turned it both ways, and could keep their arms straight in doing so

Thread Information