• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
Never Played an ODI ATG ODI XI

01. Barry Richards
02. Denis Compton
03. Charles Macartney
04. Clyde Wacott +
05. Graeme Pollock
06. Neil Harvey
07. Keith Miller
08. Mike Procter
09. Harold Larwood
10. Ray Lindwall
11. Bill O’Reilly

Bradman should be in there, but I'd rather select without him for the fun of it.
Thought about Denis Compton but figured that he'd run half the side out during the pressure of a ODI. Was tempted to select Stan McCabe as Barry Richard's partner.

bagapath

International Captain
victor trumper and jack gregory, and richie benaud, would be obvious choices for an ODI XI, IMO,

I would go for....

trumper
grace
weeks
compton
hammond
miller
ames +
gregory
davidson
lindwall
benaud

if you believe the ol' timers, they all can really bat

Last edited:

watson

Banned
At Dover in 1937 Kent were set 218 to win off about 27-28 overs during the final day in their match against Gloustershire. Woolley (aged 50 years) opened the innings and smashed 44 runs during the opening 2 overs to set the tone. Lesley Ames came in at No.3 and then belted 70 in 39 minutes. In end Kent scored the require runs in just 23 overs, and with 19 minutes to spare;

The Home of CricketArchive

Point being, I reckon that Ames would go OK in a ODI.

Now that I think of it, Frank Woolley is also a tempting selection due to his 305 runs in less than 2 sessions (229 minutes) against Tasmania in 1912 (among others);

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/8/8620.html

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Never played an ODI ODI XI- without Bradman

- V. Trumper
- B. Richards
- G. Pollock
- D. Compton
- F. Woolley
- K. Miller
- M. Procter
- L. Ames
- R. Lindwall
- A. Davidson
- C. Grimmett

Woolley is a must.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I always find it interesting that people stack their "never played ODIs" batting lineup with aggressive boundary-hitters even though overly boundary-reliant players have struggled in the format unless they've been able to go over the infield. This is especially true for positions 3-5. The key to middle overs batting in 50 over cricket is not having a great stroke range and naturally hitting a lot of boundaries against Test fields; it's minimising dots and hitting good balls into gaps. I don't think these super-aggressive boundary-laden innings are quite the examples of batting we should be looking for.

Adam Voges averages over 50 and strikes at over 90 in ODIs despite only scoring 35% of his ODI runs in boundaries and striking at less than 50 in First Class cricket. Michael Slater on the other hand was known for his aggressive stroke play at Test level, recording a strike rate of 53 in the Tests which was almost unheard of for an opener at the time.. and he scored almost 40% of his ODI runs in boundaries (almost all of which were fours) but struck at 60 and averaged below 25 because he couldn't get off strike.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA. Issue is identifying which cricketers were good at that from an era when running between the wickets wasn't valued due to the non-existence of ODI cricket. Hence, selecting a side of power hitters is far easier.

Perhaps my XI should look more like this:

1. Richards
2. Macartney
3. Ranjitsinhji (???)
4. Harvey
5. Worrell
6. Miller
7. Walcott +
8. Procter
9. Larwood
10. O'Reilly
11. Grimmett

Honestly no clue who to slot in at 5 there, however.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
At Dover in 1937 Kent were set 218 to win off about 27-28 overs during the final day in their match against Gloustershire. Woolley (aged 50 years) opened the innings and smashed 44 runs during the opening 2 overs to set the tone. Lesley Ames came in at No.3 and then belted 70 in 39 minutes. In end Kent scored the require runs in just 23 overs, and with 19 minutes to spare;

Point being, I reckon that Ames would go OK in a ODI.

Now that I think of it, Frank Woolley is also a tempting selection due to his 305 runs in less than 2 sessions (229 minutes) against Tasmania in 1912 (among others);

Kee...rist! Glocs didn't have any opening bowlers but Kent blasted 98 runs off Goddard's 8 overs. 12 an over off the guy who was consistently in the top 5 of the county championship averages.

Red

B. Richards
L. Hutton
D. Bradman
S. Tendulkar
S. Smith
G. Sobers
A. Gilchrist
M. Marshall
P. Siddle
S. Warne
D. Lillee

Red

B. Richards
L. Hutton
D. Bradman
S. Tendulkar
S. Smith
G. Sobers
A. Gilchrist
M. Marshall
P. Siddle
S. Warne
D. Lillee
B. Richards
L. Hutton
D. Bradman
S. Tendulkar
S. Smith
G. Sobers
A. Gilchrist
M. Marshall
P. Siddle
A. Agar

D. Lillee

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would this be the most representative XI of all time?

Jack Hobbs (3)
Len Hutton (5)
Don Bradman (4)
W G Grace (1)
Viv Richards (7)
Garry Sobers (6)
Adam Gilchrist (10)
Malcolm Marshall (8)
Shane Warne (9)
Sydney Barnes (2)
Dale Steyn (11)

Bracketed numbers denote the position of their eras from the earliest to the latest :)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Been working on these

Ashes XI

01. Sir Jack Hobbs
02. Sir Len Hutton
03. Sir Don Bradman*
04. Greg Chappell ^
05. Wally Hammond (5)^
06. Allan Border
07. Adam Gilchrist +
08. Shane Warne (4)^
09. Fred Trueman (3)
10. Dennis Lillee (2)
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

Sub Continent XI

01. Sunil Gavaskar ^
02. Saeed Anwar
03. Rahul Dravid ^
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Javed Miandad ^
06. Kumar Sangakkara +
07. Kapil Dev (5)
08. Imran Khan* (1)
09. Wasim Akram (3)
10. Waqar Younis (2)
11. Muttiah Muralitharan (4)

R.O.W. XI

01. Barry Richards ^
02. George Headley *
03. Sir I.V.A. Richards
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Brian Lara ^
06. Sir Garry Sobers (5) ^
07. Mike Procter (3)
08. John Waite +
09. Malcolm Marshall (1)
10. Curtly Ambrose (2)
11. Hugh Tayfield (4)

So who would win?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@harsh....representative in what sense?
Representative of all eras. Grace for the 1880-90s, Barnes 1900-15, Hobbs 1910-20s, Bradman 1930s, Hutton 1940-50s, Sobers 1960-74, Viv 1975-85, Marshall 1984-91, Warne 1990s, Gilchrist 2000s and Steyn the current one :P

Been working on these

R.O.W. XI

01. Barry Richards ^
02. George Headley *
03. Sir I.V.A. Richards
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Brian Lara ^
06. Sir Garry Sobers (5) ^
07. Andy Flower +
08. Sir Richard Hadlee (3)
09. Malcolm Marshall (1)
10. Curtly Ambrose (2)
11. Dale Steyn (4)

So who would win?
Get Tayfield in this side and I would pick it

watson

Banned
Representative of all eras. Grace for the 1880-90s, Barnes 1900-15, Hobbs 1910-20s, Bradman 1930s, Hutton 1940-50s, Sobers 1960-74, Viv 1975-85, Marshall 1984-91, Warne 1990s, Gilchrist 2000s and Steyn the current one :P

Get Tayfield in this side and I would pick it
Agreed. Marshall-Ambrose-Hadlee-Sobers is plenty enough fire-power.

Plus, the off-spinners Athol Rowan/ Ian Johnson must have troubled Hutton due to the number of times they dismissed him. Therefore, Tayfield is probably a good option against the Ashes XI openers if they get set.

Last edited: