• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT / ANTI THOUGHT POLICE ATG XI:

01. Barry Richards
02. Bob Simpson
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Ken Barrington
06. Keith Miller
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Dennis Lillee
10. Bill Johnston
11. Arthur Mailey

bagapath

International Captain
THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT / ANTI THOUGHT POLICE ATG XI:

01. Barry Richards
02. Bob Simpson
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Ken Barrington
06. Keith Miller
07. John Waite
08. Ray Lindwall
09. Dennis Lillee
10. Bill Johnston
11. Arthur Mailey
the totally anti logic XI

barry richards
syd barnes
stewie dempster
andy ganteaume
chateshwar pujara (c)
taslim arif (wk)
mike procter
jj ferris
hv horden
jack cowie
wm clark

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From the other thread Watson you were daring someone to start a new thread about criteria, I'm not going to do that as its fine to discuss it in here, but what I am interested in is what does an up and coming cricketer have to do to be good option for an ATG Test side in the future? Lets just look at a certain type of cricketer, such as a batsman.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From the other thread Watson you were daring someone to start a new thread about criteria, I'm not going to do that as its fine to discuss it in here, but what I am interested in is what does an up and coming cricketer have to do to be good option for an ATG Test side in the future? Lets just look at a certain type of cricketer, such as a batsman.
From the current crop, I would say that Philander would be up there given one more year of sustaining what he has done up till now. Hashim Amla is already there courtesy of the last 2 years or so. Pietersen was taken to be of ATG status within 5 years of his test debut. So it follows that around 3 years or thereabouts of sustained brilliance (crazy brilliance) should be enough to put you there, I think :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Very good, I personally just can't place anyone ahead of Hutton because of what he did, who he did it againts and what he had to overcome to do it and Hobbs was the master, though his level of competition was less stellar. Barry is next though.

Pollock over Lara, Sachin and Headley is a bit tougher because as much as I have come to admire Pollock, he plyed his trade mainly in South Africa while Barry went out to conquer the world and he just didn't face the quality of bowlers that BCL did. Tebdulkar has 51 Test Hundreds and Headley was Atlas and meant more to a very weak team and was seen as some to be as talented as the Don. I have less of an issue placing Pollock over Chappel as a better bat, but Chappel keeps his place in my second team because of his batting aided by his amazing slip catching, plus we already have a lefty in Lara.

Actually have no problems with Pollock as he was probably the best combination of batsman, bowler and fielder after Sobers while not weakening the batting or the bowling and he prospered at all three elements at the same time.
Didn't one of his best innings come in England where he scored some 128 runs when rest of the team collapsed him. It is one of the three innings that made it DoG's initial list of great innings. Playing 3 ATG knocks in such a short career is testament to Pollock's brilliance.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If I have this right, AB DeVilliers averages 75 with the bat at a SR of 98 as keeper for SA in ODIs. How close is he to displacing Gilchrist or Dhoni in people's ATG ODI team? And Amla has become a ODI beast, 55 at SR of 91 opening...

- Sachin Tendulkar
- Hashim Amla
- Ricky Ponting
- Viv Richards
- AB DeVilliers
- Steve Waugh
- Mike Hussey
- Kapil Dev
- Wasim Akram
- Joel Garner
- Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From the current crop, I would say that Philander would be up there given one more year of sustaining what he has done up till now. Hashim Amla is already there courtesy of the last 2 years or so. Pietersen was taken to be of ATG status within 5 years of his test debut. So it follows that around 3 years or thereabouts of sustained brilliance (crazy brilliance) should be enough to put you there, I think :)
See for me Philander would need a lot more matches, not just one year more - a minimum of 50 Tests and probably a fair bit more than 50 for a batsman and for a Cricketer from a country which plays heaps of Tests like Australia and England, I'm thinking around 80 tbh although if someone is brilliant and finishes on 78 Tests I'm not going to exclude them.

bagapath

International Captain
If I have this right, AB DeVilliers averages 75 with the bat at a SR of 98 as keeper for SA in ODIs. How close is he to displacing Gilchrist or Dhoni in people's ATG ODI team? And Amla has become a ODI beast, 55 at SR of 91 opening...

- Sachin Tendulkar
- Hashim Amla
- Ricky Ponting
- Viv Richards
- AB DeVilliers
- Steve Waugh
- Mike Hussey
- Kapil Dev
- Wasim Akram
- Joel Garner
- Muttiah Muralitharan
Throw out waugh and kapil, and bring in klusener and shaun pollock

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Throw out waugh and kapil, and bring in klusener and shaun pollock
Not for me. Kapil Dev was a sensational OD cricketer. Massive SR when batting which is ideal for a #8, and his bowling was very economical and tidy. And Waugh in his early days was as good an ODI allrounder as you'll see. Brilliant death bowler, gun fielder and smart batsman. In an ODI set up, I'd almost be tempted to select Waugh on the basis of his bowling alone.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Tendulkar
2. Amla
3. Richards
4. de Villiers
5. Bevan
6. Dhoni
7. Dev
8. Wasim
9. Saqlain
10. Garner
11. Bond

But honestly, that XI matches up pretty well against a lot of more 'traditional' ATG ODI XIs, and gives you a very decent second XI.

1. Jayasuriya
2. Gilchrist
3. Ponting
4. Jones
5. Abbas
6. Miandad
7. Klusener
8. Pollock
9. Lee
10. Muralitharan
11. McGrath

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And Waugh in his early days was as good an ODI allrounder as you'll see. Brilliant death bowler, gun fielder and smart batsman. In an ODI set up, I'd almost be tempted to select Waugh on the basis of his bowling alone.
Only if he kept it up through his career can you do something like that. All rounders bowl in almost every game, not in less than two thirds of them.

watson

Banned
Never Played an ODI ATG ODI XI

01. Barry Richards
02. Sid Barnes
03. Donald Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Everton Weekes
06. Keith Miller
07. Les Ames
08. Mike Procter
09. Alan Davidson
10. Ray Lindwall
11. Bill O’Reilly

Read them the rules, get them to watch videos of the best World Cup finals, and I reckon they'd give any modern ATG XI more than a run for their money.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Never Played an ODI ATG ODI XI

01. Barry Richards
02. Denis Compton
03. Charles Macartney
04. Clyde Wacott +
05. Graeme Pollock
06. Neil Harvey
07. Keith Miller
08. Mike Procter
09. Harold Larwood
10. Ray Lindwall
11. Bill O’Reilly

Bradman should be in there, but I'd rather select without him for the fun of it.