• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
So using that Aus would probably be
  1. Bob Simpson
  2. Bill Ponsford
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Greg Chappell
  5. Allan Border (c)
  6. Keith Miller
  7. Rod Marsh (wk)
  8. Richie Benaud
  9. Alan Davidson
  10. Ray Lindwall
  11. Dennis Lillee

2. Mathew Hayden
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Michael Clarke
  6. Steve Waugh (c)
  7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
  8. Mitchell Johnson
  9. Pat Cummins
  10. Shane Warne
  11. Glenn McGrath

number11

U19 Captain
I tend to consider cricket’s modern era from 90s.

90s was a revolutionary era historically really, with the entertainment industry hitting a boom. Pop music, gaming consoles, airlines, those family shows etc becoming more accessible to the common man due to modernisation.

i reckon we should use the 90s for making post and pre’s imo. Just my 2 cents 🤷‍♀️

Many ways to divide it. I consider covered wickets the definitive divide between modern/old eras but folk are obviously entitled to their own perspective.

number11

U19 Captain
To go off on a tangent for a moment, what do you guys regard as the greatest possible WI ODI XI?

Minimum 20 ODIs reqd for eligibility. Else obviously Sobers with 1 cap makes it.

Consider:

Haynes
Gayle
Viv
Lara
C. Lloyd *
Dujon +
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner
Roberts

If we play Sobers, Roberts is benched. GS bats at 5.

ataraxia

International Coach
Simpson*
Lawry
Bradman
Smith
Ponting
Border
Gilchrist +
Davidson
Lindwall
Warne
McGrath

Always feels wrong to exclude Miller. Only recently due to muh longevity have I downgraded O'Reilly below Warne – he wasn't too bad was he, that Warne bloke.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
To go off on a tangent for a moment, what do you guys regard as the greatest possible WI ODI XI?

Minimum 20 ODIs reqd for eligibility. Else obviously Sobers with 1 cap makes it.

Consider:

Haynes
Gayle
Viv
Lara
C. Lloyd *
Dujon +
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner
Roberts

Hope (wk)
Greenidge
Viv
Lara
Sarwan
Lloyd
Hooper/Dwayne Bravo
Holding
Garner
Ambrose
Walsh/Narine

Shady Slim

International Coach
I tend to consider cricket’s modern era from 90s.

90s was a revolutionary era historically really, with the entertainment industry hitting a boom. Pop music, gaming consoles, airlines, those family shows etc becoming more accessible to the common man due to modernisation.

i reckon we should use the 90s for making post and pre’s imo. Just my 2 cents 🤷‍♀️
feels a bit odd for mark taylor and wg grace to be from the same era. reckon you don't need a "modern" and "pre modern" to be the categories you restrict yourself to here

something along the lines of prewar, interwar, post-wwii through to seventies, 80s-90s, flatty era and post-flatty era as an example

Silver Line

U19 Debutant

Consider:

Haynes
Gayle
Viv
Lara
C. Lloyd *
Dujon +
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose
Garner
Roberts

From my excel, i had this

Chris Gayle
Shai Hope (wk)
Brian Lara
Vivian Richards
Nicholas Pooran
Clive Lloyd (c)
Carl Hooper
Malcolm Marshall
Michael Holding
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Pre 90s Post 90s SA

Barry Richards
Bruce Mitchell
Dudley Nourse
Graeme Pollock
Aubrey Faulkner
Clive Rice
Mike Procter
John Waite
Hugh Tayfield
Vincent Van der Bijl
Garth Le Roux

Graeme Smith (c)
Gary Kirsten
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
Quinton De Kock (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Dale Steyn
Kagiso Rabada
Keshav Maharaj
Allan Donald

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
AT Aus from the modern era only (post covered wickets ~ 1970).

Hayden
Warner
Ponting
Smith
G. Chappell
Border *
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
McGrath

In absolute terms (ie truly AT) obviously Bradman et al would get in (Miller, Morris etc). I continue to believe that no fair comparison can be made across the pre cw/post cw era.
The only two I'd disagree about are Warner and Thommo. S Waugh is very unlucky.

So using that Aus would probably be
  1. Bob Simpson
  2. Bill Ponsford
  3. Donald Bradman
  4. Greg Chappell
  5. Allan Border (c)
  6. Keith Miller
  7. Rod Marsh (wk)
  8. Richie Benaud
  9. Alan Davidson
  10. Ray Lindwall
  11. Dennis Lillee

2. Mathew Hayden
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Steve Smith
  5. Michael Clarke
  6. Steve Waugh (c)
  7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
  8. Mitchell Johnson
  9. Pat Cummins
  10. Shane Warne
  11. Glenn McGrath
Love Richie but picking Benaud over Grimmett is nonsense.And O’Reilly is at least a league or 2 above Grum.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Love Richie but picking Benaud over Grimmett is nonsense.And O’Reilly is at least a league or 2 above Grum.
Grimmett averages 33 against England, the only proper side during the 1920s.

O’Reilly averaged 26 against England again the only proper side.

Benaud does the same and in an era less suspicious to cricket. Benaud also adds with the bat. I think Richie is the go mate

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Thomson is very similar to Shoaib, both ridenned by knee injuries at their end. But for a good 5 years they had amazing bowling stats (Shoaib had very phenomenal ones) and induced a legitimate fear factor. Thomson valid to have over bowlers with better stats around his time

Grimmett averages 33 against England, the only proper side during the 1920s.

O’Reilly averaged 26 against England again the only proper side.

Benaud does the same and in an era less suspicious to cricket. Benaud also adds with the bat. I think Richie is the go mate
South African team of 1935/36 fielded Nourse, Mitchell,Rowan and 4 thirty odd averaging batsman.That’s a proper lineup.Earlier that year, they managed to win a series against England in England.

That England team Grum/O’Reilly bowled to consisted of probably the greatest batting line up of all time and in batting friendly pitches.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Post 70s WI:

Greenidge
Gayle
Viv
Lara
Chanderpaul
Lloyd*
Dujon
Marshall
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

2nd XI

Haynes
Fredricks
Richardson*
Kallicharan
Rowe
Adams
Jacobs
Roberts
Bishop
Croft
Walsh

Pre 70s

Hunte
Stollmeyer
Weekes
Kanhai
Worrell*
Sobers
Walcott+
Hall
Martindale
Ramadhin
Gibbs

number11

U19 Captain
Thomson is very similar to Shoaib, both ridenned by knee injuries at their end. But for a good 5 years they had amazing bowling stats (Shoaib had very phenomenal ones) and induced a legitimate fear factor. Thomson valid to have over bowlers with better stats around his time
I'd always pick Thommo in an Australian XI. Fear factor and raw pace are genuine elements of this game. Thommo in the mid 70s was as fast as anything ever.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Post 70s WI:

Greenidge
Gayle
Viv
Lara
Chanderpaul
Lloyd*
Dujon
Marshall
Holding