• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

watson

Banned
OK, what about this team? Anymore fine tuning necessary?

Best of the 80s and 90s
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Gordon Greenidge
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Steve Waugh
07. Ian Healy
08. Imran Khan
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Shane Warne

Obviously Ponting, Ambrose, and Wasim unlucky to miss out.

watson

Banned
Actually Dujon doesn't really matter 'cause Imran would bat ahead of Healy anyway. But yeah
OK, swapping Healy and Imran around in the batting order. Dujon is tempting, but Healy and Warne are a pretty legendary partnership.

Can't see Waqar being superior to Imran, Hadlee, Marshall, or Ambrose; unless you take a short window of about 2 years when he was in his pomp.

Best of the 80s and 90s
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Gordon Greenidge
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Steve Waugh
07. Imran Khan
08. Ian Healy
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Shane Warne

bagapath

International Captain
OK, what about this team? Anymore fine tuning necessary?

Best of the 80s and 90s
01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Gordon Greenidge
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Steve Waugh
07. Ian Healy
08. Imran Khan
09. Richard Hadlee
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Shane Warne

Obviously Ponting, Ambrose, and Wasim unlucky to miss out.
Good team.

Second XI

Haynes
Gooch
G. Chappell
Miandad
Border (c)
Botham
Dujon (wk)
Akram
Qadir
Ambrose
Garner

Third XI

Anwar
Taylor
Gower
Crowe
Lloyd (c)
Kapil
Ian Smith (wk)
Holding
Murali
Waqar
Donald

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Good team.

Second XI

Haynes
Gooch
G. Chappell
Miandad
Border (c)
Botham
Dujon (wk)
Akram
Qadir
Ambrose
Garner

Third XI

Anwar
Taylor
Crowe
Gower
Lloyd (c)
Kapil
Ian Smith (wk)
Holding
Murali
Waqar
Donald
Greg Chappell had an annus horribilis in 1981/82 where he scored 6 ducks in a row. Admittedly he did recover to finish his career strongly, but I think that Chappell was past his best during the 80s. Ponting is a tempting replacement, but he didn't start batting at No.3 till the 2000 season. Not sure who should bat at No.3 for your second XI really.

In the third XI I think that Gower and Crowe need to be swapped around as all of Crowe's best innings were at No.4, and Gower averaged 49 at No.3. Also, Kapil is too high at No.6, especially with a relatively weak tail to follow.

bagapath

International Captain
Greg Chappell had an annus horribilis in 1981/82 where he scored 6 ducks in a row. Admittedly he did recover to finish his career strongly, but I think that Chappell was past his best during the 80s. Ponting is a tempting replacement, but he didn't start batting at No.3 till the 2000 season. Not sure who should bat at No.3 for your second XI really.

In the third XI I think that Gower and Crowe need to be swapped around as all of Crowe's best innings were at No.4, and Gower averaged 49 at No.3. Also, Kapil is too high at No.6, especially with a relatively weak tail to follow.
Chappell had the best record among batsmen who scored more than 2000 runs in the 1980s averaging a healthy 55+, a few decimal points better than even Border who comes a close second. Miandad averaged 54. No one is even close. After them, Lloyd is at 52. Deano is at 51. I think the second XI is alright. Am cool with swapping Gower and Crowe in the next team, though.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Good team.

Second XI

Haynes
Gooch
G. Chappell
Miandad
Border (c)
Botham
Dujon (wk)
Akram
Qadir
Ambrose
Garner

Third XI

Anwar
Taylor
Gower
Crowe
Lloyd (c)
Kapil
Ian Smith (wk)
Holding
Murali
Waqar
Donald
Would take Murali over Qadir every time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Michael Slater is a worthy contender to make one of the 3 best teams of the 80s and 90s. I definitely think that their were periods throughout his career where he was the best opener in the world and one of the most enjoyable batsman to watch too.

watson

Banned
Michael Slater is a worthy contender to make one of the 3 best teams of the 80s and 90s. I definitely think that their were periods throughout his career where he was the best opener in the world and one of the most enjoyable batsman to watch too.
Slater was a fabulous batsman but there is a principle which says that you shouldn't play a batsman out of his natural position. Slater was an opener not a No.3.

So here are some true No.3 batsman who averaged the highest in that position, and who played a reasonable number of Tests during the 80's and 90s;

Blogs: Batsmen with highest averages at each position in Tests | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Viv Richards (61.54)
Brian Lara (60.47)
David Gower (49.42)
Mohinda Armanath (47.66)
Stephen Fleming (47.25)
Richie Richardson (47.11)

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Slater was a fabulous batsman but there is a principle which says that you shouldn't play a batsman out of his natural position. Slater was an opener not a No.3.

So here are some true No.3 batsman who averaged the highest in that position, and who played a reasonable number of Tests during the 80's and 90s;

Blogs: Batsmen with highest averages at each position in Tests | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Viv Richards (61.54)
Brian Lara (60.47)
David Gower (49.42)
Mohinda Armanath (47.66)
Stephen Fleming (47.25)
Richie Richardson (47.11)
Cool story. Please read my post.

the big bambino

International Captain
You mean this one and this bit?

watson

Banned
Cool story. Please read my post.
Got mislead by your post with the big arrow in it. I was talking about No.3 batsman so I thought that you were too.

Anyway, even though David Boon averaged 'only' 40 at No.3 I think he's possibly a better option for those Second/third XIs than those formentioned players. After all, he is a true 80s-90s batsman, and probably had it tougher than anyone because of 2 tours of the West Indies and Pakistan etc etc.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Got mislead by your post with the big arrow in it. I was talking about No.3 batsman so I thought that you were too.

Anyway, even though David Boon averaged 'only' 40 at No.3 I think he's possibly a better option for those Second/third XIs than those formentioned players as he is a true 80s-90s batsman, and probably had it toughest because of 2 tours of the West Indies and Pakistan etc etc.
Boon batted in the toughest position in cricket during the era of the most brutal and skilful pace bowling ever. Brilliant batsman.

I'd imagine Boon'd average much higher than he did if he played in a different era.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You mean this one and this bit?
Correct. Also the fact that I said Slater was the best opener in the world at a time, makes NUFAN go something something when he gets someone trying to explain to him that he isn't a number 3 bat.

Anyway, even though David Boon averaged 'only' 40 at No.3 I think he's possibly a better option for those Second/third XIs than those formentioned players. After all, he is a true 80s-90s batsman, and probably had it tougher than anyone because of 2 tours of the West Indies and Pakistan etc etc.
I made two different posts. One about Slater being in the first 3 teams as an opening batsman and I then quoted you suggesting that Boon is a good alternative for the number 3 spot.

Boon batted in the toughest position in cricket during the era of the most brutal and skilful pace bowling ever. Brilliant batsman.

I'd imagine Boon'd average much higher than he did if he played in a different era.
Boon'd :)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I have it on good authority that every time Boonie made a ton, he'd snarl to the opposition "You've been Boon'd".

Apparently he says it to his wife some nights also.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Pre WWII XI
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman*
Headley
Hammond
Ames+
Faulkner
Gregory
Grimmett
Larwood
Barnes

Yes, no O'Reilly. I think Grimmett would complement Barnes far better, but thats me. Sure I could squeeze him in somehow.