• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
Single syllable All-time XI

1. Hobbs
2. Gooch
3. Weekes
4. Crowe
5. Waugh
6. Greig
7. Dev
8. Knott
9. Warne
10. Hall
11. Walsh

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Four letter surnames - spent five minutes on it so I expect with a bit of thought most of them can be improved on

Barry Wood
Graeme Wood
Les Ames
Ian Bell
Graeme Hick
Carlisle Best
Imran Khan
Maurice Tate
Tony Lock
Bill Voce
Wes Hall

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Four letter surnames - spent five minutes on it so I expect with a bit of thought most of them can be improved on

Barry Wood
Graeme Wood
Les Ames
Ian Bell
Graeme Hick
Carlisle Best
Imran Khan
Maurice Tate
Tony Lock
Bill Voce
Wes Hall
Clem Hill, Brian Lara, Younis Khan

Howe_zat

Audio File
fredfertang said:
Barry Wood
Graeme Wood
Les Ames
Ian Bell
Graeme Hick
Carlisle Best
Imran Khan
Maurice Tate
Tony Lock
Bill Voce
Wes Hall
Haha, yes!

One of the finest cricketing quotees.

"you can't be bowling there to Carlisle Best" ~ Carlisle Best

Flametree

International 12th Man

Barry Wood
Graeme Wood
Les Ames
Ian Bell
Graeme Hick
Carlisle Best
Imran Khan
Maurice Tate
Tony Lock
Bill Voce
Wes Hall
I think you probably can improve on it a little... (ps, I always thought of Imran as Imran so he's not eligible...)
Cook
Boon
Amla
Lara
Rowe
Reid (JR)
Ames *
Tate
Hall
Bond
Lock / Bedi

watson

Banned
Best of the 80s and 90s

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Ian Healy
08. Shane Warne
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Wasim Akram
11. Glenn McGrath

12th Ricky Ponting

bagapath

International Captain
Best of the 80s and 90s

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Ian Healy
08. Shane Warne
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Wasim Akram
11. Glenn McGrath

12th Ricky Ponting
Hayden made it only in the 00s. Greenidge deserves to be the opener with Sunny. Even Gooch is a good shout. Not Matty.

Imran and Hadlee in the 80s were superior to Kallis and McGrath in the 90s. They were taking wickets at sub 20 averages for 10 years. Imran also averaged 50+ with the bat.

watson

Banned
Hayden made it only in the 00s. Greenidge deserves to be the opener with Sunny. Even Gooch is a good shout. Not Matty.

Imran and Hadlee in the 80s were superior to Kallis and McGrath in the 90s. They were taking wickets at sub 20 averages for 10 years. Imran also averaged 50+ with the bat.
Yeah, you're right re Hayden. Put Greenidge in I think even though I subconsciously think of him as a 70s batsman.

Imran and Hadlee are not good enough batsman to replace Kallis at No.6, but could easily contend for McGraths spot. However, Marshall and McGrath are such different styles of bowler that I think that they would complement eachother 'perfectly'.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think Hadlee could bowl line and length for extended periods of time.....besides i think McGrath really hit his stride in the 00s and not the 90s.....would agree with bagapath that I would Imran and Hadlee of the 80s over McG of the 90s

watson

Banned
I think Hadlee could bowl line and length for extended periods of time.....besides i think McGrath really hit his stride in the 00s and not the 90s.....would agree with bagapath that I would Imran and Hadlee of the 80s over McG of the 90s
McGrath started in 1993 and was awesome from 1995 onwards (just look at those sub-50 Strike Rates);

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/6565.html?class=1;template=results;type=bowling

Tests = 10
Wickets = 52
Ave. = 22
SR = 45

Tests = 5
Wickets = 30
Ave. = 18
SR = 45

Tests = 13
Wickets = 63
Ave = 21
SR = 49

etc...etc

But yes, I see your point.

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Gordon Greenidge
03. Viv Richards
04. Sachin Tendulkar
05. Brian Lara
06. Jacques Kallis
07. Ian Healy
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Wasim Akram
11. Shane Warne

Now I'm trying to justifying Wasim over Imran or Ambrose - and having problems inside my head other than a bit of excellent left-arm variety is a very good idea.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Ambrose deserves a shout before both Wasim and Hadlee imho.
I think Imran and Hadlee both deserve a shout ahead of Ambrose (considering that we are taking only the 80s, over the course of their careers Ambrose might be a slightly better bowler). Both Hadlee and Imran have very complete records, did very well against the best team of their era and had some batting skills to boot. Why do you consider Ambrose ahead of Hadlee?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll put it out there that there is absolutely zilch reason to include Kallis in that 80s and 90s team.

smash84

The Tiger King
McGrath started in 1993 and was awesome from 1995 onwards (just look at those sub-50 Strike Rates);

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Tests = 10
Wickets = 52
Ave. = 22
SR = 45

Tests = 5
Wickets = 30
Ave. = 18
SR = 45

Tests = 13
Wickets = 63
Ave = 21
SR = 49

etc...etc

Here is McG in the 90s

heck, this is pretty good in the 90s but in the 00s he is just godly

Imran in the 80s

SR of 47, Avg of 19 and 256 wickets in the decade. That is even better than Marshall in the 80s :cool:

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I'll put it out there that there is absolutely zilch reason to include Kallis in that 80s and 90s team.
Kallis started in 1995 didn't start smashing the ball around till 1999.

So who is premier 'batting-allrounder' of the 80s-90s then?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kallis started in 1995 didn't start smashing the ball around till 1999.

So who is premier 'batting-allrounder' of the 80s-90s then?
Yeah so one year of good cricket isn't enough to make my team.

The obvious answer is Steve Waugh. I was going to look up some stats to find someone else but I don't think its necessary.