• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tried an ATG XI where everyone but the openers and Bradman was an all rounder... came up with this

1. Sutcliffe
2. Hobbs
3. Bradman*
4. Kallis
5. Sobers
6. Miller
7. Gilchrist+
8. Faulkner
9. Procter
10. Imran
11. Hadlee

I think that team would be a challenge to beat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tried an ATG XI where everyone but the openers and Bradman was an all rounder... came up with this

1. Sutcliffe
2. Hobbs
3. Bradman*
4. Kallis
5. Sobers
6. Miller
7. Gilchrist+
8. Faulkner
9. Procter
10. Imran
11. Hadlee

Did you decide Hammond didn't quite qualify or did you just decide you'd rather have Kallis, Sobers and Miller?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

1. Sutcliffe
2. Hobbs
3. Bradman*
4. Kallis
5. Sobers
6. Miller
7. Gilchrist+
8. Faulkner
9. Procter
10. Imran
11. Hadlee

Just an All Rounders XI could be monumentally difficult to beat

W G Grace
Charlie Macartney/ Eddie Barlow/ Trevor Goddard

Wally Hammond
Garry Sobers
Jacques Kallis
Aubrey Faulkner/ Keith Miller/ Ian Botham/ Tony Greig
Adam Gilchrist (w)

Imran Khan
Mike Procter/ Alan Davidson
Richie Benaud
Richard Hadlee

bagapath

International Captain
South africa AT XI

G. Smith
H. Amla
G.A. Pollock
J.H. Kallis
A.B. De Villiers
G. A. Faulkner
Mark Boucher +
S.M. Pollock
H.J. Tayfield
Dale Steyn
A.A. Donald

ATG pace attack with Donald and Steyn taking the new ball and Shaun Pollock at first change. Tayfield could very well be the best off spinner of all time. Faulkner will bowl his wrist spin to complete the bowling attack. Kallis is always there if any of these guys needs a break.

The top 5 batters are pure gold. At 6,7 and 8 we have solid late order batting from an allrounder, a batsman-keeper, and a bowling all-rounder.

Kallis and Smith are excellent slip catchers. De Villiers is unmatched in the outfield.

This is a good, solid team

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Did you decide Hammond didn't quite qualify or did you just decide you'd rather have Kallis, Sobers and Miller?
Seeing as he took less than a wicket per match, didn't include him. If I had him in the team, he wouldn't really be someone I planned on using (as a bowler) in a Test.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
South africa AT XI

G. Smith
H. Amla
G.A. Pollock
J.H. Kallis
A.B. De Villiers
G. A. Faulkner
Mark Boucher +
S.M. Pollock
H.J. Tayfield
Dale Steyn
A.A. Donald

ATG pace attack with Donald and Steyn taking the new ball and Shaun Pollock at first change. Tayfield could very well be the best off spinner of all time. Faulkner will bowl his wrist spin to complete the bowling attack. Kallis is always there if any of these guys needs a break.

The top 5 batters are pure gold. At 6,7 and 8 we have solid late order batting from an allrounder, a batsman-keeper, and a bowling all-rounder.

Kallis and Smith are excellent slip catchers. De Villiers is unmatched in the outfield.

This is a good, solid team
Good team. Leaving out Barry your way of tilting at the windmills? :)

Barry | Smith | Kallis | Pollock | Nourse | Taylor | Lindsay/Waite | Procter | Tayfield | Steyn | Donald

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seeing as he took less than a wicket per match, didn't include him. If I had him in the team, he wouldn't really be someone I planned on using (as a bowler) in a Test.
The main reason he took relatively few wickets per match was because he bowled progressively less as he got older, understandably for someone who got through so much batting, and most of Hammond's contemporaries describe him as a talented and surprisingly quick seam bowler.

On occasions where he did play as an allrounder he was generally pretty effective. On a tour of South Africa in his younger days he took 27 wickets at 23. He could take the lead as well in FC matches - he once took 9-23 against Worcester, and on the Bodyline tour he took 6-43 in a game against NSW, including Bradman. Wisden describes his bowling in the second Test at Melbourne as "excellent", outshining the formidable pace attack England were playing.

More to the point, the idea of "additional" bowlers is to try and unsettle the batsmen, and so even as a support option Hammond's pace provides something a bit extra over the norm.

I don't think he matches up to Kallis as a bowler - the fact that Kallis has kept up his bowling for so long provides a fair contrast to Hammond not being really able to do so - but the man could seriously bowl.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA.

As an All Rounder Hammond is pretty under rated, as his bowling when utilised was pretty sharp and effective. The fact that he was an elite slip fielder only adds to his value.

the big bambino

International Captain
Hammond was good bowler as his contemporaries confirm. David foots book also makes it clear that he didn't much like bowling, particularly as he got older. A wonderful adjunct to his game and comparable to Kallis in skill though the SA all rounder definitely values his bowling more than Wally apparently did and wins on longevity.

bagapath

International Captain
Short career champs XI

Barry Richards
Merchant
Ranji
G. Pollock
John F Reid
Lindsay +
Procter
F de Villiers
Traicos
Bond
Wardle

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Short Careers

1. Vijay Merchant
  2. Barry Richards
  3. KS Ranjitsinhji
  4. Graeme Pollock
  5. Archie Jackson
  6. Mike Procter
  7. Jock Cameron +
  8. Harold Larwood
  9. Shane Bond
  10. Sylvester Clarke
  11. Bob Appleyard

watson

Banned
We need a Long Career team to take on the Short Career team.

Qualification is > 100 Test matches;

01. Sunil Gavaskar (125)
02. Gordon Greenidge (108)
03. Viv Richards (121)
04. Sachin Tendulkar (>198)
05. Brian Lara (131)
06. Jacques Kallis (>162)
07. Mark Boucher (147)
08. Wasim Akram (104)
09. Shane Warne (145)
10. Courtney Walsh (132)
11. Glenn McGrath (124)

Sobers, Gilchrist, Knott, and Ambrose all just miss out because of the cut-off.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not bad at all Watson.

Still think Headley and O'Reilly deserve a look in for the short career XI. Just personal opnion though as I understand that some believe that time wise they played full careers.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Murali into the long runners XI you'd think. Played 29 more tests than Wasim and, as we've shown, that can constitute a career on it own