Page 102 of 210 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 3139
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    Yeah this. Add in that fact he has been seen as a legend from the very early on in his career, you can see why he's hyped so much.
    He carried india's batting almost singlehandedly for around 8 years. Unlike kallis, he did it in more aggressive fashion. His approach changed the momentum of the game. He took on the bowlers when necessary instead of going into a complete shell.
    It's alot easier to play freely when you have likes of Amla, AB, Smith around you to share the burden and pressure of scoring or recently when India had sehwag, gambhir, tendulkar, laxman all performing together.
    If he had even retired in 2002/03, he'd have gone down as one of the greatest ever because by then he had already achieved pretty much everything there was to achieve except a world cup win. Guys already had him in their All time first XIs back then.
    So he's been a legend for much much longer than Kallis (has also played for 6 more yrs than kallis)
    Most greats slowly attain greatness whereas the likes of tendulkar, lara attained it every early in their careers. (let's not even mention his ODI exploits here)

Overall, if you bring kallis' bowling into play, then there's a strong case for having him instead of tendulkar unless you have already got all-rounders in your side.
    He most certainly did not singlehandedly carry the Indian batting line-up. Azharuddin, Laxman, Ganguly, Dravid are a few names that pop into one's mind.

The time debate is also nullifiable by Kallis having the extra burden of bowling 140kph pace alongside being the key batsman in his team.

But read above - I'm not trying to say Kallis is BETTER than SRT. Just that they are of the same tier. The rest comes down to subjective opinion based on other facts.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    In your opinion.

Statistically they played largely in the same time period, and averaged a similar amount. They are certainly of the same "tier" of batsmen, along with Lara and Ponting.

That's all I'm trying to argue here.
    Dont think i ever even said Kallis didnt deserve to be in the same tier as Sachin, lara and Ponting. Just that from that tier, if i had to pick one, I'd pick one of the other three before Kallis.
    And let that be the end of it
    kyear2 likes this.

I didn't see him counter-attacking when he was the one responsible for carrying the side by himself.
    He's only managed to attain greatness after Amla and co emerged. (around 2010)
    You're seriously saying he wasn't great until 2010?!?!?!

averages mean everything now. god. i am going to end it here.
    They don't mean everything, but when two players have a large, similar sample size it'd be daft not to recognise it.

In your opinion.

Statistically they played largely in the same time period, and averaged a similar amount. They are certainly of the same "tier" of batsmen, along with Lara and Ponting.

Ya that I agree

Basically, chaps, I'm not trying to say Kallis>SRT,Punter,Lara. Just that he's on the same level as them, and it comes down to personal preference as to which one is better. Kallis often gets discarded as not up for reckoning to the same extent as the other three. I disagree with THAT.

Banned
    In your opinion.

i will take sachin , u can take kallis ... we'll see

NB:batting alone

Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post

Ohmaahgawd, so much innuendo!
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Basically, chaps, I'm not trying to say Kallis>SRT,Punter,Lara. Just that he's on the same level as them, and it comes down to personal preference as to which one is better. Kallis often gets discarded as not up for reckoning to the same extent as the other three. I disagree with THAT.
    Nobody denies it. I think only Sachin is clearly the better. While Lara reached greater heights, he was inconsistent and often unreliable. Kallis is better than Ponting for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post

Oh god, if the innuendo was intentional (which i doubt), this is a genius post
    The smiley makes it perfect
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 10-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Oh god, if the innuendo was intentional (which i doubt), this is a genius post
    The smiley makes it perfect
    It was the "batting alone" that did me

Have you ever seen Tendulkar's penis posted on Twitter?

Didn't think so. One winner here folks
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

I do belive that they are on the same tier, just in that tier I would rank them

Tendulkar
    Lara

Ponting

Kallis

Again all in that same top tier. Kallis just didn't take over games or take apart bowling attacks like the others did, and for Smali, that is just my humble opnion. Is that allowed?
    Additionally I can't rate Gavaskar over Chappell, Chappell is probably the most under rated batsman on CW, and probably one of the two best slippers I have ever seen.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

There's more to it than attacking-batting. Kallis may lag behind in attacking batting but he's far more consistent than those except Sachin. Lara lags so far behind in consistency. At their best I will have Sachin, Lara, Ponting and Kallis in that order. But overall considering their ups and down, it would be Sachin and then the other 3 together, imo.

Btw, like reading your opinions. Don't worry and post more.

Quote Originally Posted by akilana View Post
    There's more to it than attacking-batting. Kallis may lag behind in attacking batting but he's far more consistent than those except Sachin. Lara lags so far behind in consistency. At their best I will have Sachin, Lara, Ponting and Kallis in that order. But overall considering their ups and down, it would be Sachin and then the other 3 together, imo.
    Overall, I'd rank them in that order. However if you guaranteed me I was getting them on their very best day then I'd take Lara no question.
    kyear2 likes this.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Thread Information