• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Round of 16, Battle 2

Sunil Gavaskar (India)

Crimes:

- Abrasive captain, bloke, commentator
- Paid shill for the BCCI
- Walking off the field and dragging his partner with him after being given out, while captain
- And you thought Kallis was selfish - scoring 36* (174) in the 1975 World Cup opener
- Demanding Kapil Dev be dropped because of 'reckless cricket' in 1984 and refusing to play at Eden Gardens for fear of being booed
- Commentary ranked beneath Navjot Sidhu and Arun Lal
- His finest moment as commentator - "Here is a man who did not walk walk when he was 14!" - (0:53)
- Ruthless advocate for rule changes that encourage FTBs

"I can't forget the time he once told a team meeting - 'The day I stop thinking of money, I will stagnate.'" - Bishen Bedi

“I would also like to suggest that there should be no water for bowlers at the boundary end.” - Gavaskar on the ban on runners for batsmen

"Millions of Indians want to know if it [match referee Mike Procter's verdict against Harbhajan Singh] was a 'white man' taking the 'white man's' word against that of the 'brown man'. Quite simply, if there was no audio evidence, nor did the officials hear anything, then the charge did not stand." - Sunil Gavaskar, while an employee of the BCCI

"Dejected Indians were pathetically pleading with him to die fighting. Their flags hung limp in their hands. It was a perverse moment of self-inflicted shame." - The Cricketer, 1975

"It was the most disgraceful and selfish performance I have ever seen… his excuse [to me] was, the wicket was too slow to play shots but that was a stupid thing to say after England had scored 334. The entire party is upset about it. Our national pride is too important to be thrown away like this." GS Ramchand, Indian manager in 1975

CW Endorsements:

Just an enormous ****.
What Gavaskar hasn't done in 20 years as a senior ex cricketer Dravid has done in a matter of weeks . . . talk sensibly, speak the truth, howsoever harsh, forget hurting the BCCI honchos. By the way, before asking more senior cricketers to retire from the game, how about asking some of India's senior, non-performing commentators to hang up their mikes . . .
Gavaskar, by a country mile, would give it to him for that 1975 performance alone tbh, but general twattish behaviour ever since makes the choice a very simple one
Winner:
Gavaskar, horrible sycophantic pathetic waste of space, toadying to the BCCI, like they have incriminating pictures of him being bukkake'd by Ladyboys.

Mohammad Asif (Pakistan)

Yes, I would make your sister a widow.

Crimes:

- Suspended for being a drug cheat (exonerated after a lengthly boo-****ing-hoo), 2006
- Suspended for being a drug cheat, 2009
- Third stooge of the spot fixing scandal
- Drug smuggling in the UAE
- Attempted extortion of his fiance
- Hide yo kids, hide yo wife

"I didn't do anything wrong. There was one no-ball and, whatever the scenario was behind it, I described it in the court. There are lots of things and it will be in my book, which will be launched very soon." - Foreword to Asif: It's Tough Being Me

"It is hard to see how this could be an isolated occurrence for you." - Justice Cooke hands down his judgment on the above quote

"I love cricket: it is something that runs through me in my veins and my blood." - Along with THC

"I seriously expected a bravery award after what I have done." - Asif's ex-girlfriend after testifying on his spot-fixing

"He is a friendly and nice guy. I was shocked to hear about the allegations, so I dropped him from the film." - Bollywood director about Asif starring in a movie promoting friendship between India and Pakistan

CW Endorsements:

Given that they've had a judicial trial that's found them guilty, if Asif and Aamir seek to use this as an opportunity to question their bans, I hope they get a 5 year extension free of cost.
It'd be absolutely disgusting if Asif ever steps on a cricket pitch again.
In a situation where one is being paid to professionally represent a nation I do believe it should be a criminal offence to take money to bowl no balls. Your sensibilities must have gone into the gutter.
There's a world of difference between an unpleasant personality and being a crooked piece of ****.
If true (not the detention but the posession), then Asif must rank as one of the most stupid and arrogant guys on the face of the planet
Winner:
I also must check my wallet today. Gooey stuff tends to remain in one's wallet for months and somehow never gets noticed :dry:

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Asif, miles ahead of Gavaskar.. ...This is a no-contest. Asif vs Azharuddin would've been better.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has to be Asif, yeah.

Sunny really is quite the **** tho, it must be said. Still tilting at colonial windmills after all these years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Asif easily.

Gavaskar gets far more **** than Azhar, who is a far far far worse human being.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Asif comfortably enough, but Sunny certainly has his moments
Asif easily.

Gavaskar gets far more **** than Azhar, who is a far far far worse human being.
Yes, agree with both..

Gavaskar's worst moment was possibly those racist lines in his autobiography. And that's the only thing I can't forgive him for. All his other infamous acts can be understood/forgiven with the context in mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gavaskar's just an asshole. A big big one who seems to not be maturing with age, but nevertheless just an asshole.

But Azharrudin was a disgrace to his country and the sport we all love.