• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Round 1, Battle 12

Solid cadre of reprobates today.

Roy Gilchrist (West Indies)

Crimes:

- Used freakish fast bowling talents mostly to sate a freakish irritability
- Profligate and deliberate use of beamers
- Picked up a stump and hurled it at a Lancashire league batsman's head, hitting him
- High-profile sending home by Gerry Alexander
- A few violent tendencies
- ...culminating in branding his wife's face with an iron

"A tragedy born of the interaction between a flawed individual and a malformed society, an almost Greek inevitability as man and system proceeded to their inevitable and final collision." - Former Jamaican prime minister Michael Manley

"I hate to think English sport has sunk so far that brutes will be tolerated because they are good at games." - The judge at his domestic violence hearing

"In a tour match against North Zone, he responded to some taunting from Swaranjit Singh, a Cambridge schoolmate of Alexander, by trying to remove his head with a few beamers." - Did SJS face Roy Gilchrist?

Mohammad Azharuddin (India)

Crimes:

- Match-fixer (banned after 99 Tests)
- Duly honored by BCCI
- Getting elected to Indian parliament in a search for like minds
- Allegedly the corrupting influence on Cronje
- Abandoning his family for a badminton player
- Lecturing Ojha on how to lose games more emphatically

“What do you mean who invited me! Of course the board invited me.” - Azhar after crashing the BCCI Awards Night

"He was seen to have betrayed the fans, whose faith sustains the game as much as any heroics on the field. He should be allowed to get on with his life, and live with his mistakes, but Any attempt to gloss over them will only set an appalling precedent for the future of a game whose beauty has been marred by one scandal too many in recent times." - Dileep Premachadran

"I remember only his simplicity; that will never change." - Ex-classmate of Azhar

"All of a sudden, the 'educated' Indian follower loses all cricketing judgement and lets his imagination rule his head. The most impossible allegations surface immediately. Matches are pronounced as 'fixed' and discussions are full of 'evidence' of how certain players had accepted money from certain brokers if a match went a particular way." - Harsha Bhogle (in Azhar: The Authorized Biography of Mohammad Azharuddin) on how Azhar changed India's perspective forever

cricket and its fans including my self was cheated by this man no question he belong in indian politics.
- Cricinfo commenter praveen-sansi

Suresh Raina (India)

Crimes:

- Awkward combo of constantly-in-selection-frame and not-very-good
- The-nephew-did-it-gate: a chronology

Just before Pakistan were tossed out of the 2011 World Cup by Sri Lanka:

(For those watching at home: translation is: "Went home a day or two late!! But dishonourably … Bye Bye Pakistan")

Luckily, our Suresh was saved by a written confession (read: troll account) from said nephew:

"Gandhi: Father of the nation. Nargis: Mother of the nation. Sonia Gandhi: Daughter-in-Law of the nation. Suresh Raina: Nephew of the nation." - @uudaspriest (tweet)

"I'm tired of being asked of who I am dating." - Raina #humblebrags

"Nobody became quite as confused as India's Suresh Raina, who at Edgbaston earlier this year asked that an lbw be reviewed when his own board had denied him that facility." - Gideon Haigh #whataputz

"The senior members of the Indian team know my worth and that is what is important for me.” - On playing 17 Tests over a seven-year international career

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Gotta be Roy Gilchrist. Raina's only real fault is being overrated by people who matter, and while Azhar is a bit of a slimeball, I wouldn't feel like my life was in danger by standing in the same room as him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Raina's cast in the role of Bermuda facing The Invincibles of '48 & The Windies of '84 here.

Gilchrist was a thug whose whole deal seemed to be inflicting physical pain on others both on and off the pitch. A genuinely nasty piece of work. Happily his nephew Adam has rescued the family reputation somewhat.

Azharuddin gets my vote because he did know better. The white collar betrayal always seems worse somehow.

uvelocity

International Coach
Azharuddin

I like the sound of this Roy Gilchrist up to the point of the domestic violence. Nowhere near enough stump throwing these days.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist clearly a deeply unpleasant human being but not really too close to Azhar in the Hall of Shame