Page 55 of 194 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    You're full of ****, that's a replay from The 'Gabba.

EDIT: Okay seriously, any bationistas want to have a go at what the problem is? I mean, it's not as if he's just nicking everything outside off, that was over off when it got to him. Moving away, off a length, nick. Incredible. I'm guessing anything other than balls pitching a metre outside leg are in danger of ending up in the cordon.

Just the back leg not getting across and causing the angled bat? Fiendishly tough problem to fix but is that it?
    It's a pretty decent ball tbh. Looks like it pitched middle or so and went across, so he had to play. I only looked at it the once mind you. He could have left it on length I guess, but still.

He's basically rebuilding his technique. It's a pretty hard thing to do while playing FC cricket. I know he's nicking off a lot, but I'm a lot happier seing him making some effort to go back and across instead of staying leg side of the ball. The latter is effeminate and shows a lack of ticker.

If you're monumentally changing your trigger movement, and he is, it's not surprising you'll lose where your off stump is to some extent. So it's great he's moving his feet in a more orthodox manner, but he's still very much a work in progress I think.
    Last edited by Burgey; 25-10-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    To my eyes, the squaring-up happened after he nicked it. Virtually a replay of his other dismissals but, honestly, I haven't looked that closely at them.

When I've seen other blokes do that, it's because the ball has moved a foot but by staying right back, he's allowing the ball to get big so maybe he needs to get forward or get real good at leaving the ball?
    Yeah I'd only seen it once; having actually looked at it in essentially slow motion (pausing it after few frames ), his back foot movement is just really, really late. When he plays at it initially his back foot is still on leg, then he brings it around and gets squared up as he's already edging it. It's almost like he just momentarily forgot that he'd changed his technique, instinctively decided to stay leg side of the ball and force and square, then tried to quickly fix it mid-stroke when it was too straight, which as Burgey said is all part of the growing pains involved with changing your technique.

One thing that stands out for me on that replay though is that it's a full delivery. It's not a half volley, but he should be looking to get forward to balls of that length pretty much every time, especially since his forward defence is so much more solid than his back defence on off stump.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 25-10-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

International Vice-Captain
    Latest News - Queensland Cricket
    Complete wacky Aussie A side,are they for real?

Hmm, interesting lineup. First thoughts is that Joe Burns is so unlucky.

Its slightly weird that 3 openers are playing. The team is going to have an awesome tail with McDonald, Hastings and Coulter-Nile to bat incredibly at 9,10 and 11.

EDIT - With McDonald captain, he might bat higher, but you can't really play Henriques or Maxwell down at 9.
    Last edited by NUFAN; 25-10-2012 at 06:03 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Surprised they didn't include Starc. Seems they already know their bowling attack for the Gabba.

I also would have thought they'd be tempted to play both Haddin and Wade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    wtf. wtf. wtf.

happy for Doolan, he is class. WTF is Davis doing there? Smith, com eon, done nothing to be there. Hastings deserves a go, thought Cosgrove shouldve been there, stuff his weight issues, he is a class batsman, no-one could argue, very tight technique. Burns should definitely be there. Hughes lucky i think, 2 very poor FC matches in a row, not exactly in form to get a test spot if something comes up, why reward bad form?

End of the day its not a huge deal who gains selection as all the state teams are playing anyway in a four day game as opposed to a 3 dayer, so some players might actually gain more from playing Shield - although a big haul or a classy ton against the touring side always helps players, just ask Geoff Foley (thanks Noble One) and Corey Richards.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Would've loved to see O'Keefe in there. Not sure why he keeps being overlooked; he's not exactly a strike bowler but he at least keeps it tight and can hold a bat, yet the only spinners the selectors ever mention are Holland and Lyon.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Would've loved to see O'Keefe in there. Not sure why he keeps being overlooked; he's not exactly a strike bowler but he at least keeps it tight and can hold a bat, yet the only spinners the selectors ever mention are Holland and Lyon.
    He was awful last year an hasn't been much better this summer. 6th or 7th in the spin pecking order at best. Pretty lucky to be playing Shield cricket really.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    The Ponting Show is on again.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Vice-Captain

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    He was awful last year an hasn't been much better this summer. 6th or 7th in the spin pecking order at best. Pretty lucky to be playing Shield cricket really.

yeah this.

fairly typical squad from these selectors eg it's totally different from anything anyone expected. instead of the spin cycle, we have the fringe cycle. get picked for an aus a team or an ODI or named as a promising player or whatever, get chucked out within months. i suppose it's better
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Hmm, interesting lineup. First thoughts is that Joe Burns is so unlucky.

Its slightly weird that 3 openers are playing. The team is going to have an awesome tail with McDonald, Hastings and Coulter-Nile to bat incredibly at 9,10 and 11.

EDIT - With McDonald captain, he might bat higher, but you can't really play Henriques or Maxwell down at 9.
    Henriques and Maxwell should definitely be eight and nine in that lineup. They seem to have been picked primarily as bowlers anyway, for whatever reason.

surprised Bailey wasn't picked actually, who was captain over in England for Australia A?

Thread Information