• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who else does SA have to bat 6? I guess you could argue Dan Harris to open and push Klinger to 3, but Miller came in with preseason form.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
He was available for selection; just left out.
Not sure how you select Chad Sayers over him..

Who else does SA have to bat 6? I guess you could argue Dan Harris to open and push Klinger to 3, but Miller came in with preseason form.
There's not much to choose from tbh. Borgas, James Smith and Theo Doropoulos are the only names that spring to mind. I thought Smith would have kicked on to become a solid batsmen by now but he's gone backwards.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, prediction for SA's score is a little off at 7/152 but with Sayers/Mennie/Putland to come, I doubt it'll be many more. :(

Time for Hughes to start throwing the bat!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There's not much to choose from tbh. Borgas, James Smith and Theo Doropoulos are the only names that spring to mind. I thought Smith would have kicked on to become a solid batsmen by now but he's gone backwards.
Borgas and Doropoulos both got cut by SA (as did Harris, apparently). Can't see why they got rid of Theo, he had a decent season last year from what I remember. Borgas is over here now, playing Grade in the lead up to representing the Thunder in the Big Bash.

Only other option I can think of is Travis Head.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Borgas and Doropoulos both got cut by SA (as did Harris, apparently). Can't see why they got rid of Theo, he had a decent season last year from what I remember. Borgas is over here now, playing Grade in the lead up to representing the Thunder in the Big Bash.

Only other option I can think of is Travis Head.
Head is playing already. :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So from what I can see, today at the Gabba the slower bowlers who get more swing (Hopes, McDermott) have been more effective than the quicker seamers (Feldman, Cutting). Correct?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So awesome for Australian Cricket that Hughes and Khawaja have started the season so well.

Also, I'm loving the attacking knocks from the bowlers so far this year. Cutting, Siddle and Coulter-Nile have all produced run a ball innings.

brockley

International Captain
Tim Monteline played 2ndxl for WA and Glamorgan move to Victoria.Chris Chellew cricket superstar player moved to the Canberra Comets.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Does seem rather foolish of SA that they have three very inexperienced guys coming after one another. Couldn't Cooper or Ferguson have moved at least one place down?

Top_Cat

Shoring up a weaknesses by shifting blokes around almost never works. The line-up the way it is, if one of the openers goes early, you at least have a chance of stopping the momentum of the bowling team with your experienced blokes. Ferguson coming in at 2/****-all >>>> Ferguson coming in at 4/****-all.

Anyway, SA pissing their pants at dat swang in Brisbane and getting shredded first-up is nothing new. Even when they last won the Shield they got smashed there. Amazing (read: sobering) to think that hasn't changed even with only two home-grown bats in the top-7.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Queensland has been at an advantage for the past couple of years (along with Tasmania) in that they play on swing- and seam-friendly surfaces, and none of our batsmen can do anything but clear the front leg and hit half the time. The top 2-3 bats in each state typically can, but past that you get blokes who've never really come up against quality swing bowling. It is a sobering thought.

uvelocity

International Coach
it's wierd. I've never played state cricket, but all through junior and lower grades swing bowling is very common. surely getting to state level would involve being exposed to swing??? yet even the national team is routinely taken apart by it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's just that good swing bowling in good swing conditions is harder to play than good straight bowling. :ph34r:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Decent morning session with the ball for South Australia. Putland, Sayers and Mennie doesn't read as a potent pace attack, however in good bowling conditions they are a likely combination.

Top_Cat

Seriously lol-worthy collapse going on at the Gabbatoir right now - SA have lost 5/20 in 5 overs. Interesting to note Hughes out nicking to slip in both digs too.

Will maintain it was a terrible Test career move for him to go to SA. Aside from the usual organisational problems inherent with being around SACA at all, that he scored some tough runs for NSW is probably what got him opportunities for the Test side. If he gets infected with SACA cultural malaise, he'll have a mediocre season and won't get picked for the Test side. If he scores 1000+, "Of course, he's playing half his games in Adelaide." and won't get picked in the Test side. If he also keeps nicking out, "See, nothing's changed." and he won't get picked in the Test side. He's ****ed no matter what he does, I reckon.

The only way he'll score 'credible' runs is if he dominates away from home and he'll always be doing that in the face of a bunch of bats without the ability to go with him and a bowling attack without the teeth to defend whatever they score. Big ask mentally.

Last edited: