Page 14 of 194 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 2907

Thread: ***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

  1. #196
    International Regular Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post


    Having friends pushing for grade selection and knowing the politics, that is utterly hilarious.

    EDIT: On a completely different note, I'm pretty tempted to head out to Bankstown Oval and watch the Shield tomorrow.
    Funnily enough, I thought it was about my old club (which, evidently, I became a 'rare unit' at for speaking my mind.

    Then, upon further inspection, the photo is taken at my old club's home ground.

    Sadly I never quite turned it enough to fall into the weird spinner category.

  2. #197
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,836
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post


    Having friends pushing for grade selection and knowing the politics, that is utterly hilarious.

    EDIT: On a completely different note, I'm pretty tempted to head out to Bankstown Oval and watch the Shield tomorrow.
    Got the email too I see.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  3. #198
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Got the email too I see.
    I'm not sure which email you're referring to

    Although given the amount of **** that goes to the moderators email, I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally deleted something important.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

  4. #199
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,836
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    I'm not sure which email you're referring to

    Although given the amount of **** that goes to the moderators email, I wouldn't be surprised if I accidentally deleted something important.
    Haha nah; NSW Cricket sent around an email to all their subscribers telling them about the free entry at Bankstown about 10 minutes before you made that post, so I figured it probably wasn't a coincidence and that you were also subscribed.


  5. #200
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Haha nah; NSW Cricket sent around an email to all their subscribers telling them about the free entry at Bankstown about 10 minutes before you made that post, so I figured it probably wasn't a coincidence and that you were also subscribed.
    I got their facebook post, which came up about the same time anyway.

  6. #201
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,836
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    I got their facebook post, which came up about the same time anyway.
    You young tikes and your fancy toys. Whatever happened to good old fashioned email?

  7. #202
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    You young tikes and your fancy toys. Whatever happened to good old fashioned email?
    Spam. Lots of spam.

  8. #203
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,677
    filters ffs
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  9. #204
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    Cricket has always been a game of politics. When I first started playing I was always astounded by how little form is regarded and how much "I rate him" is regarded when it comes to team selection.

    The fact of the matter is that there is little difference in skill between players +- two grades of where you're playing. The opening bowlers are 10 kph quicker in 4th grade than they are in 6th grade and they're 10kph quicker in 2nd grade than they are in 4th. But the change bowlers in 3rd grade aren't as good as the openers in 4th and possibly even 5th grade.

    The difference between batsmen is even less. And spinners... spinners get picked in the wrong grade and mismanaged for all sorts of reasons. Flat, big turning spin is rewarded over well flighted, deceptive spin because the former looks more impressive and is more economical. Never mind that even Shane Warne said that spinners have to beat the batsman in the air because they never will off the pitch.

    And the biggest crime of all in a grade cricket club is to be the wrong side of 23 (unless you have been in the club since your teenage years). If you're 26 or older when you join a club, you pretty much cannot get a game below 4th grade because 6th and 5th grades are for "developing the juniors". Never mind that park cricket is a much tougher place to learn your craft as a batsman. In park cricket you don't get value for your shots. Drives along the carpet are rarely seen due to the fields being so slow. You get much tougher wickets to bat on. You face two piece leather instead of 4 piece. Park cricket effectively adds 10 kph to a bowler's pace due to the two piecers and poor quality turf wickets. And because of this spin is even more poorly supported in park cricket, unless you happen to live in a very dry, hot climate.

    Still, cream rises to the top. Individual players sometimes don't get the recognition that they deserve, but most first and second grade squads are pretty close to the best sides that those clubs can field.

  10. #205
    International Regular Andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,123
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Cricket has always been a game of politics. When I first started playing I was always astounded by how little form is regarded and how much "I rate him" is regarded when it comes to team selection.

    The fact of the matter is that there is little difference in skill between players +- two grades of where you're playing. The opening bowlers are 10 kph quicker in 4th grade than they are in 6th grade and they're 10kph quicker in 2nd grade than they are in 4th. But the change bowlers in 3rd grade aren't as good as the openers in 4th and possibly even 5th grade.

    The difference between batsmen is even less. And spinners... spinners get picked in the wrong grade and mismanaged for all sorts of reasons. Flat, big turning spin is rewarded over well flighted, deceptive spin because the former looks more impressive and is more economical. Never mind that even Shane Warne said that spinners have to beat the batsman in the air because they never will off the pitch.

    And the biggest crime of all in a grade cricket club is to be the wrong side of 23 (unless you have been in the club since your teenage years). If you're 26 or older when you join a club, you pretty much cannot get a game below 4th grade because 6th and 5th grades are for "developing the juniors". Never mind that park cricket is a much tougher place to learn your craft as a batsman. In park cricket you don't get value for your shots. Drives along the carpet are rarely seen due to the fields being so slow. You get much tougher wickets to bat on. You face two piece leather instead of 4 piece. Park cricket effectively adds 10 kph to a bowler's pace due to the two piecers and poor quality turf wickets. And because of this spin is even more poorly supported in park cricket, unless you happen to live in a very dry, hot climate.

    Still, cream rises to the top. Individual players sometimes don't get the recognition that they deserve, but most first and second grade squads are pretty close to the best sides that those clubs can field.
    Disagree.

    There is a pretty fair jump in every grade, and a huge difference in skill. Everything in each grade happens better, quicker and for longer than the grade below. It is a huge jump. I'll never forget how tired I was walking off the field at the end of my first day in 1st grade - the insensity was like nothing I had experienced before. It is a huge difference from 2s, which is a huge difference from 3's and so on.

    I can't speak for every club but there was no way the one I was at fielded the best available sides when you say that the 'cream rises'. In fact, I was told I'd be a grade or 2 higher if I wasn't 'who I was', it's just the way it goes. You're either one of the boys and conform, or you are strong enough as an individual to stand on your own 2 feet - but you'd better be an exceptional cricket if you want to do that cause you'll never win a line ball selection call.

  11. #206
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Disagree.

    There is a pretty fair jump in every grade, and a huge difference in skill. Everything in each grade happens better, quicker and for longer than the grade below. It is a huge jump. I'll never forget how tired I was walking off the field at the end of my first day in 1st grade - the insensity was like nothing I had experienced before. It is a huge difference from 2s, which is a huge difference from 3's and so on.

    I can't speak for every club but there was no way the one I was at fielded the best available sides when you say that the 'cream rises'. In fact, I was told I'd be a grade or 2 higher if I wasn't 'who I was', it's just the way it goes. You're either one of the boys and conform, or you are strong enough as an individual to stand on your own 2 feet - but you'd better be an exceptional cricket if you want to do that cause you'll never win a line ball selection call.
    It seems that you are making my argument for me. Most players probably could survive a grade above where they're playing without embarrassing themselves. That doesn't mean that they'd turn into Ricky Ponting if they played a grade below either. Some players do get shafted, but overall the quality of players is higher the higher level you go.

    There is a difference between the grades and it is noticable, but the numbers I gave were about right. At a guess, a quick bowler in firsts will bowl somewhere around 130, in thirds 120 and in fifths 110.

    At a steady pace a 130 kph ball travels the length of the pitch (20m), a 120 kph ball will travel 18.5m and a 110 kph ball will travel roughly 17m. In truth, air resistance means that each of these balls slow down significantly over the length of the pitch and the faster the ball, the more it slows. There is some truth to the old adage of a bowler having an "extra yard of pace".

    The question is, if you were a fast bowler, would you prefer to be first change or an opening bowler? A lot of quicks who are good enough to play higher don't, because they want to take the new ball and particularly if you've got an opening bowler as a captain, you'll get a lot less overs as first change than you will as opener, especially on green wickets. Similarly, better batsmen sometimes are forced to play below their standard to make way for young kids. But overall, the quality is higher in the higher grades and that can only be the case if the players are, overall, better in the higher grades.

  12. #207
    International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Get ready for a broken ****ing arm.
    Posts
    4,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Disagree.

    There is a pretty fair jump in every grade, and a huge difference in skill. Everything in each grade happens better, quicker and for longer than the grade below. It is a huge jump. I'll never forget how tired I was walking off the field at the end of my first day in 1st grade - the insensity was like nothing I had experienced before. It is a huge difference from 2s, which is a huge difference from 3's and so on.
    .
    completely agree. Think that the gap between grades increases with every level you go up, probably in every sport.

  13. #208
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,339
    Everyone's seen a lot of that behaviour described in the article.

    The one thing is that, if you are in the top 5 or so trainers at the club on a Tuesday and Thursday night, then you'll always get more leeway in terms of selection, and even if you're a different guy, you'll still get respect from the rest of the players, IMO. Even if you do SFA the rest of the week.

  14. #209
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Peter Nevill, Scott Henry, Nic Maddinson, Michael Clarke (c), Steven Smith, Brad Haddin (wk), Moises Henriques, Steve O'Keefe, Trent Copeland, Josh Hazlewood, Doug Bollinger with Daniel Hughes 12th man

    Ed Cowan, Mark Cosgrove, Alexander Doolan, Ricky Ponting, Aiden Blizzard, Tim Paine, James Faulkner, Luke Butterworth, Jason Krejza, Jackson Bird, Adam Maher with Sam Rainbird 12th man.


    NSW batting. 450 par.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  15. #210
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    l00ks like no streamz.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2068
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
  2. LGBT Thread
    By Matt79 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 18-07-2010, 12:29 PM
  3. Australian Cricket League
    By Mister Wright in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-08-2009, 06:28 PM
  4. Domestic cricket goes live on FOX SPORTS
    By Haddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 08:28 AM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •