• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
havn't seen a whole to of Sandhu tbh but from what ive seen of him Sayers and Copeland it seems a pretty good indication of just how bad our batting stocks are atm and also how bowler friendly the shield wickets are, tbf they all bowl good line and length but they hardly huge swing bowlers
There have been no even remotely bowler-friendly decks at AO this season and Sayers has taken both of his 5-fers there with a sprinkling of 4 and 3's in away games against both strong and weak sides, been beating guys for pace and cut all season. As for the comparison to Copeland/Butterworth, he's quicker (a good 10k's on them) and is basically doing all of his work off the pitch which neither of those two do on a consistent basis. Credit where due, eh?

Speaking off, Mennie taking 30 wickets in 6 games in concert with Sayers is why SA are second on the ladder. It certainly ain't because of the batting, Mennie being 4th on the batting averages tells a tale. I sincerely hope the rest of the country keeps under-rating them, though.

Last edited:

Spikey

Tom Cooper: 43 runs at 7.16 (0 tons)
Michael Klinger: 289 runs at 20.64 (0 tons)
Liam Davis: 224 runs at 18.66 (0 tons)
Tim Paine: 174 runs at 21.75 (0 tons)
Joe Burns: 328 runs at 27.33 (1 ton)
Peter Forrest: 303 runs at 21.64 (1 ton)
?????: 311 runs at 34.55 (1 ton)

The first 6 names on that list are most of the batsmen who got picked for the Australia A tour to England in the off-season. '??????' is Trent Copeland. #copesfornumber6

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There have been no even remotely bowler-friendly decks at AO this season and Sayers has taken both of his 5-fers there with a sprinkling of 4 and 3's in away games against both strong and weak sides, been beating guys for pace and cut all season. As for the comparison to Copeland/Butterworth, he's quicker (a good 10k's on them) and is basically doing all of his work off the pitch which neither of those two do on a consistent basis. Credit where due, eh?

Speaking off, Mennie taking 30 wickets in 6 games in concert with Sayers is why SA are second on the ladder. It certainly ain't because of the batting, Mennie being 4th on the batting averages tells a tale. I sincerely hope the rest of the country keeps under-rating them, though.
Discount all runs made at Roadelaide because it is too flat

Discount all wickets taken by SA seamers because Roadelaide is too bowler-friendly

Obvious really

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He is basically a bowler in the Copeland-Butterworth mould (not as tall as those guys), bowls military meds and depends on the surface to do all the heavy lifting for him as a bowler.
I love how you actually avoided answering the question.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tasmania made a decent recovery after one of the slowest starts I've ever seen. Was at the match and for the first session and a half they were going at under 2 rpo. At one stage there were 21 maidens out of 54 overs bowled.

Ponting looked in good touch too before he threw his wicket away. Was basically the only one in the top order who was willing to simply push the singles and not play for the big shot. When I left Tas were 5/100 odd. I'm really surprised that they managed to over double that score in the afternoon.

QLD bowling figures don't do them justice in this match. Gannon found the edge around 4/5 times and had dropped catches or the ball fall just short of the slips cordon. Ali McDermott bowled very, very well for a long time and Harris was on a hat trick at one stage. It seems to me though that it may have been a mistake to only go into this match with 4 bowlers.

Top_Cat

Botha finally taking some wickets for SA (red, not green). Kinda liking this whole 'team' aesthetic SA are trying, like, if the guns aren't firing, someone else takes up the slack. Good change, like it, keep it up SA.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain

oh no doubt credit to him for the wickets hes taken, SA cricket being strong can only be a good thing for australian cricket and being a member of AO myself i have soft spot for the redbacks. the thing is im just skeptical when i see these so called "ashes bolters" as the media love to call them, as every time we seem to select of these bowlers who are apparently in the same mould as mcgrath (copeland, george etc) they look like complete **** at test level on international wickets

Top_Cat

oh no doubt credit to him for the wickets hes taken, SA cricket being strong can only be a good thing for australian cricket and being a member of AO myself i have soft spot for the redbacks. the thing is im just skeptical when i see these so called "ashes bolters" as the media love to call them, as every time we seem to select of these bowlers who are apparently in the same mould as mcgrath (copeland, george etc) they look like complete **** at test level on international wickets
Same here but if there's one thing he has over George already it's wickets both home and away. Pete George was a pick on potential (Bellerive wickets aside), Sayers would at least be based on some wickets in varying conditions and just general consistent performance. Seems awfully good at trapping guys on the crease, reckon like Ryan Harris he's surprising blokes with the heat he's getting on the ball at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sayers isn't really a McGrath clone. I think T_C mentioned it before but he's closer to Philander is MO than anyone else.

the big bambino

International Captain
So is Sayers is a 125 to 130ks bowler?

Good to see Burns ton up and Maddinson scoring 76 on top of 154 last month. So desperate for good batting new atm and these 2 might offer some hope for the future.

Meanwhile the Vics are setting up a chase being 84 on and six wickets left. They might get enough to allow Fawad have a decent bowl in the 2nd innings. I'm desperate for good spin bowling news too. Not that I see him replacing Lyon but if he can nick the 2nd spinners spot off Doherty he'll have completely justified his citizenship.