• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Riggins

International Captain
It's almost as if SACA grade cricket isn't of a very good standard or something.

Nah, can't be. They produce so many effective local talents.
Come on, they've got Michael Klinger, Phil Hughes, Dan Christian, Nathan Lyon and Johan Botha, to name but a few!

:ph34r:
top wicket takers in both comps doesn't mean anything?

or if guys like christian and lyon count for other states then someone like mark cosgrove or ryan harris doesn't rate a mention?

uvelocity

International Coach
Did he take a hat full?
nunfa

we had to sit on him though. and his mate who was above the grade and also got nunfa. had to try to make up for it against the fat old blokes though who took 9 at about 7rpo

then the two ****s came out and opened the batting. I got one early, the tassie **** scored a quick 30 odd and out

Last edited:

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
top wicket takers in both comps doesn't mean anything?

or if guys like christian and lyon count for other states then someone like mark cosgrove or ryan harris doesn't rate a mention?
To be fair Harris was born in NSW. It's not that easy to develop talent compared to NSW/Vic anyway given their pool is about 5 times the size. Plus we lose about 15-20 a grade spots a week due to poms with Lehmann's academy.

Riggins

International Captain
i think its less about where guys were born and more where they actually developed their games, i.e richo born in nt, but played what, 6 years of grade cricket before getting a gig.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
It's almost as if SACA grade cricket isn't of a very good standard or something.

Nah, can't be. They produce so many effective local talents.
I honestly think Adelaide grade is of a decent standard. Riggins would probably be more qualified to make the call but you see the likes of Sam Billings (20.1), Joe Gatting (32.9), Max Waller (12.7/23.9), Liam Livingstone (19.6), Ed Young (16.2/24.4), Tom Bailey (15.3/22.2 (a lot of that in B grade), Steve Leach (21.7), Aneesh Kapil (19.7/17.4 (sample size issue)), Nick Harrison (15.7/20.9 (started off in D grade and worked his way up. Awful stuff from his club)) and Josh Davey (6.14/28.0) all struggle or perform passably in Adelaide grade cricket - and all are first class or second team players in England.

Surely if players who would seem to be above the standard are consistently average, especially with the bat then maybe it's of a better standard than one would think. Plunkett hasn't set the world on fire, the fella who came from mosman, barber went from averaging 30 in sydney first grade to 20 here.

It's not a mockery like you think it is :(

toolie

Cricket Spectator
I honestly think Adelaide grade is of a decent standard. Riggins would probably be more qualified to make the call but you see the likes of Sam Billings (20.1), Joe Gatting (32.9), Max Waller (12.7/23.9), Liam Livingstone (19.6), Ed Young (16.2/24.4), Tom Bailey (15.3/22.2 (a lot of that in B grade), Steve Leach (21.7), Aneesh Kapil (19.7/17.4 (sample size issue)), Nick Harrison (15.7/20.9 (started off in D grade and worked his way up. Awful stuff from his club)) and Josh Davey (6.14/28.0) all struggle or perform passably in Adelaide grade cricket - and all are first class or second team players in England.

Surely if players who would seem to be above the standard are consistently average, especially with the bat then maybe it's of a better standard than one would think. Plunkett hasn't set the world on fire, the fella who came from mosman, barber went from averaging 30 in sydney first grade to 20 here.

It's not a mockery like you think it is :(
Haha I happen to know Barber very well. I imagine his statistics(which are over 7 innings) would have dropped substantially by the end of the season. Look at his previous seasons as well. Shouldn't have moved in the first place.

Your right though. A lot of the First Class and 2nd grade players that have come to Sydney have started in 3rd grade and generally struggled.

We had 7 or 8 guys over the last 4 or 5 seasons play at my club in Sydney and a 3 of them averaged less than 20 in 3rd grade.

Makes you wonder...

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Haha I happen to know Barber very well. I imagine his statistics(which are over 7 innings) would have dropped substantially by the end of the season. Look at his previous seasons as well. Shouldn't have moved in the first place.

Your right though. A lot of the First Class and 2nd grade players that have come to Sydney have started in 3rd grade and generally struggled.

We had 7 or 8 guys over the last 4 or 5 seasons play at my club in Sydney and a 3 of them averaged less than 20 in 3rd grade.

Makes you wonder...
Haha yeah. He's in awful form to be fair. Batting like a fella with no confidence which he had when he came here.

But yeah, see what you're saying.

Eloquentia does too; they play at the same club. :p
To be fair so does joe mennie and I don't know him. Have only spoken to him a few times so hardly know him 'well.'

Eloq will be happy to know Carey in the shield squad.
Ugh. Averaging 50 in grade thanks to a 179* earlier in the season but aside from that has only passed 50 once. Average player.

Eloquentia

U19 12th Man
Just watching highlights of the ryobi game last night.

Such an awful way to get out from Cooper. Pushed at a plodding ball with not much on it that was a foot outside off.

Dunno what's wrong with him.