• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't anyone decide on two openers in an all-time Australian XI?

Debris

International 12th Man
I think Charles Bannerman should be included in this conversation. I admit he only opened for Australia 3 times but one of those innings might still be the best innings ever played by an Australian batsman.

Jager

International Debutant
FC average of 20-odd doesn't help him out too much tbf, but certainly that 165 is one of the greatest innings!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
IMHO comes down to between, Trumper, Simpson, and Morris. Trumper in for sure, Simpson brings more to the table with leadership, bolwing and great Slip catcher. Morris was an invincible and brings in the left right combination. Think everyone knows which I value more.
Hayden not that far back, but would struggle agints all time great bowling.

watson

Banned
An interesting observation from Bob Simpson in 2005;

While Lawry and I may have been a little unfashionable in our style and method, we had the most important assett for opening batsman: the ability to rotate the strike and thus deprive new-ball bowlers the opportunity to contain either of us or put us under pressure
I think that Hobbs and Sutcliffe would agree. It is no coincidence that both pairs of opening batsman were both highly successful and known for their immaculate and 'telepathic' running bewteen the wickets.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
An interesting observation from Bob Simpson in 2005;

I think that Hobbs and Sutcliffe would agree. It is no coincidence that both pairs of opening batsman were both highly successful and known for their immaculate and 'telepathic' running bewteen the wickets.
Yep. As this thread goes on, I'm getting gradually more sold on the idea of Lawry and Simpson.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Persons who saw both Trumper and Bradman said Trumper was better, don't think he can be left out.

Jager

International Debutant
Bat Trumper at 5 - had much success there, far more than opening.

1. Simpson
2. Lawry/Morris
3. Bradman
4. Harvey/Chappell
5. Trumper