• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2nd greatest ever ??

Who is the 2nd greatest batsman ever (after the Don)

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Viv Richards

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Gary Sobers

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Greg Chappell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

• Wally Hammond

• Len Hutton

• Herbert Suttcliffe

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Ken Barrington

• Graeme Pollock

• Barry Richards

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Allan Border

• Dudley Nourse

• Steve Waugh

• Neil Harvey

• Brian Lara

• George Headley

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Denis Compton

• Victor Trumper

• Lindsay Hassett

• Clyde Walcott

• Everton Weekes

• Sid Barnes

• Eddie Paynter

• Javed Miandad

• Stan McCabe

• Bill Ponsford

• Bill Lawry

• Geoffrey Boycott

• Sir John Berry Hobbs

• other (who exactly ??)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

World Traveller
But it didnt stop Steve Waugh saying Hayden was playing as well as anybody then anyone who has played the game except Bradman.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Among the batsmen I have seen, Viv Richards I think. I liked Javed Miandad as well, but maybe thats my Pakistani bias.

I am not sure if anyone had the chance to read an article about Gavaskar on cricinfo, how his heroics against WI were against weak pace bowlers like Holder etc and not Garner, Marshall, Holding and Roberts in their prime. Especially that first record breaking series against WI, WI did not have any of the fearsome bowlers. Eddie, anyone comments?

Amit, how old are you. And my friend you need to chunk your 'speculating averages crystal ball'....its not working.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yep Roy, I read that article too. Seemed revealing but as I never saw Gavaskar play it didn't mean too much to me. Will try and dig it out later.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yes I read that article (the numbers game) , Amits is 18 , although judging by some of his comments you wouldnt beleive he is half that age:rolleyes:

iamdavid

International Debutant
How on earth did I forget Hobbs , I had him in there the first time I submitted but I had actually forgoten to enter the question at the top of the poll , so it made me re-submit everything & I rushed it second time around:!( :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
royGilchrist said:
Among the batsmen I have seen, Viv Richards I think. I liked Javed Miandad as well, but maybe thats my Pakistani bias.

I am not sure if anyone had the chance to read an article about Gavaskar on cricinfo, how his heroics against WI were against weak pace bowlers like Holder etc and not Garner, Marshall, Holding and Roberts in their prime. Especially that first record breaking series against WI, WI did not have any of the fearsome bowlers. Eddie, anyone comments?

Amit, how old are you. And my friend you need to chunk your 'speculating averages crystal ball'....its not working.
It tells part of the story, but not all - as no article can, truly.

Gavaskar started against the West Indies very much with a bang as you so rightly say - against Holder, Shillingford et al - but he ended it in very much the same way a decade and a half later with a 236* against Marshall, Roberts and Holding. The fact that that was at Chennai doesn't detract one iota from the sheer magnificence of the innings.

Throughout his career he consistently made runs against the West Indian attack at home and away - against the lesser bowlers and the greatest rotating seam attack the world has ever seen (IMO).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
How on earth did I forget Hobbs , I had him in there the first time I submitted but I had actually forgoten to enter the question at the top of the poll , so it made me re-submit everything & I rushed it second time around:!( :(
Top player, Robin Hobbs:P

ReallyCrazy

Banned
hmmmm

Of that list, I voted for Sachin. IMO, there has been nobody in the modern era who can equal him. I think he's better than Viv Richards, there is no competition whatsoever.

Now Bradman vs Sachin.....I dont want to specualte on who's better because I have never seen Bradman play. Moreover, they are from different eras. But just like some people gave some facts about what kind of difficulties Bradman faced (uncovered pitches, bodyline, etc). Here are some other facts:

The modern game takes a lot out of a cricketer with so many frequent tours. Bradman did not have the pressure of 1 Billion people on his shoulders everytime he went out to bat. Sachin has been having this kind of pressure for his whole career (he made his debut when he was just 16). The fielding and bowling has improved by bounds since the mid 1940's. Diving for a catch was virtually unknown then. New technology helps opposing teams to study a batter's weakness and exploit them. Now I am not sure about this statement but I think Bradman played his most of his international cricket against the same set of guys over and over again.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Out of the people I have seen, I would say Ricky Ponting would come close... But of course i havent seen any of the previous greats.. From what Ive heard Barry and Viv Richards were pretty special, so probably them :P

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
If you can dig up that article Neil, that will be great.

Eddie, yeah I agree that no article explains the complete truth. But it gave details of all the WI series Gavaskar was involved in, and it was either Holding and Garner past their prime or they were not present in the team. Anyways I dont rememeber it all will be nice to read it again.

That being said, you are right Gavaskar was a special player, I remember seeing many great innings by Gavaskar but none greater than the gem he played at Banglalore, against Pak, in 1987 I think. I dont think I have seen a better innings against top class spin bowling on a pitch where it was turning at 90 degrees. There were a lot of excellent players of spin on both teams (Miandad, Malik included), but there was a difference between Gavaskar's innings and everyone else.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
thanks Neil!

A second look reveals that although a bit inflated, it still is a pretty awesome record. I think the argument about a weaker bowling side with notables absent is a good argument, but things like scoring in a dead rubber, or once the series result is decided, are not valid arguments.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
here is another question...maybe Eddie will be the most suitable person to answer this...In test cricket who is better, Sunny or Sachin?

And another one...why is Sachin unable to play long innings in test matches? I think its to do with fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.