• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The 2nd greatest ever ??

Who is the 2nd greatest batsman ever (after the Don)

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Viv Richards

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Gary Sobers

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Greg Chappell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunil Gavaskar

• Wally Hammond

• Len Hutton

• Herbert Suttcliffe

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Ken Barrington

• Graeme Pollock

• Barry Richards

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Allan Border

• Dudley Nourse

• Steve Waugh

• Neil Harvey

• Brian Lara

• George Headley

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Denis Compton

• Victor Trumper

• Lindsay Hassett

• Clyde Walcott

• Everton Weekes

• Sid Barnes

• Eddie Paynter

• Javed Miandad

• Stan McCabe

• Bill Ponsford

• Bill Lawry

• Geoffrey Boycott

• Sir John Berry Hobbs

• other (who exactly ??)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have it the wrong way around, Amits. Scores from that era are worth more now because batting conditions are actually BETTER. Pitches are now covered and you will find many averages of today better than those from Bradman's era. Tendulkars 57 average is worth mid-to-late 30s from Bradman's era.
And who knows what Bradman's average would be if he played today.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
amits said:
another thing, if sachin had played in the bradman era, he would have averaged 150+ and if bradman had played in the present era, his average would have been just around 40.

now 150 is greater than 100 and also 57 is greater than 40. sachin, is arguably the best ever batsman to have played international cricket.
Clearly... :rolleyes:

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
I think I like the Master Blaster best from that list ...

Sir Viv had it all ... flair, career totals, dominance, presence ... of course he never had to face the West Indies ... hmmm

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
amits said:
sachin tendulkar is the greatest ever batsman to have played cricket. his record speaks for himself.

i voted for brian lara as the 2nd best after sachin.

bradman comes 3rd after lara and sachin.
Utter poppycock.

You have to be the stupidest person ever to say SRT is number 1 based on records.

Looking purely at numbers, Bradman's record, and amongst current players, he's not even number 1.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
amits said:
bradman, averages 99.94 and sachin, 56.57.

but u cant ignore this fact that bradman had to face total crap bowling. at his time, ther wasnt any decent bowler. bradman played from 1928-1948, when there wasnt any good bowler.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER called anyone a 'dork' on an internet forum, and as a staff member of this site, I'm not going to here.

Until the last couple of years of Bradman's career, he played most of his cricket against England, with a smattering of West Indies, South Africa and New Zealand. The bunnies who were the early Indian bowlers were only exposed to Bradman in his last couple of years.

Maurice Tate - took more than 100 wickets in a season on 13 occasions. Could bowl cutters, off-breaks as well as being a perfectly serviceable opening bowler.

Harold Larwood - one of the 'all-time' great fast bowlers. Aussies hate his guts to this day.

Jack White - over 4,000 first-class wickets as an offie - at an average of 19 (including all 10 in an innings)

Sir Learie Constantine - rumour has it he had the greatest, most disguised yorker of all time.

Gubby Allen - classic, side-on, a superb medium-pacer

Hedley Verity - Holds the first-class bowling best analysis - 10-10. Took nearly 2000 wickets at under 15

And the list goes on.

Ah, to hell with it. You are just not worth wasting any time over.

Loser.

Last edited:

dsk

Cricket Spectator
Dont mind Amits. He reckons Sehwag is better than Matt Hayden. Amits, just cause you dont know about old bowlers, doesnt mean theyr sh*t. Bradman averaged around 57 in Bodyline, which is above Sachin's carear average. Tell me that Sachin would have averaged over that if guys like Shoaib Akhtar were bowling bouncers at him. Shoaib bowled 1 well directed bouncer, and Sachin was out caught. Now imagine 6 such balls per over bowled at him with more fielders surrounding him. Chances are, he wouldnt average over 50

hourn

U19 Cricketer
calm blue ocean
calm blue ocean
calm blue ocean

im sorry but no one can rationally in any state of mind even possibly begin to start an argument that braddles isn't the best batsmen ever. it's just not possible. his average and record are so far superior to anyone else, it defies belief.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
This reminds me of an old joke....

In the 70's after watching the Windies play at the Gabba, Bradman was asked how he would go against the current quicks.
He replied "I would average around 50"
Only 50 was the surprised reply.
Bradman then said '"Give me a break, I am 68":lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
dsk said:
Dont mind Amits. He reckons Sehwag is better than Matt Hayden. Amits, just cause you dont know about old bowlers, doesnt mean theyr sh*t. Bradman averaged around 57 in Bodyline, which is above Sachin's carear average. Tell me that Sachin would have averaged over that if guys like Shoaib Akhtar were bowling bouncers at him. Shoaib bowled 1 well directed bouncer, and Sachin was out caught. Now imagine 6 such balls per over bowled at him with more fielders surrounding him. Chances are, he wouldnt average over 50
Bear in mind too that truly effective bodyline was in the days when you could set what fields you liked - none of this namby-pamby 2 maximum behind square on the leg side.

We're talking 2-7 or 1-8 fields, with 5 or 6 short legs.

Back-foot rule and sliding front foot too - that means bowling from less than 21 yards instead of 22, no helmets, no body armour.

Bradman was truly astounding - I look forward to the day we see a batsman of his ilk again (although I doubt he has been born yet)

PY

International Coach
iamdavid said:
Without a doubt the stupidest comment I have ever seen posted on any forum ever
That's an outrageous claim, it'd have to be a pearler to beat some of the drivel that's been posted before. :D

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am distantly related to the Don (none of my family ever met him; he lived in Australia), and I think the suggestion that Tendulkar is better than him is a load of rubbish.

Back to the proper point, Viv Rickards is 2nd, simply because of the way he could destroy a bowling attack in a matter of minutes

Salamuddin

International Debutant
2nd best player -- well my vote would go to Sunil Manohar Gavaskar, simply because he excelled against the greatest pace battery in the history of the game.

Gavaskar played for a weak side and came from a first class environment where slow, low pitches were the norm.

At a time when batsmen were struggling to average 40 against the windies quicks, Gavaskar averaged sixty.
Ask many of the windies quicks of the 70's and 80's which batsman they most hated bowling to: the answer will be in most cases, Gavaskar.

Gavaskar inspired India to some famous performances against the Windies -- most notably 1970-71 series (the only instance of a subcontinental side winning a test eries in the Caribbean) and of course Port of Spain 1974 and the Inda-WI series of I think 1979-80.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
jamesryfler said:
2nd best player -- well my vote would go to Sunil Manohar Gavaskar, simply because he excelled against the greatest pace battery in the history of the game.

Gavaskar played for a weak side and came from a first class environment where slow, low pitches were the norm.

At a time when batsmen were struggling to average 40 against the windies quicks, Gavaskar averaged sixty.
Ask many of the windies quicks of the 70's and 80's which batsman they most hated bowling to: the answer will be in most cases, Gavaskar.

Gavaskar inspired India to some famous performances against the Windies -- most notably 1970-71 series (the only instance of a subcontinental side winning a test eries in the Caribbean) and of course Port of Spain 1974 and the Inda-WI series of I think 1979-80.
Gavaskar averaged 50, I think. (I cannot remember, so I may be wrong)

iamdavid

International Debutant
dsk said:
Lets not forget the protection factor , the Don never got to wear a helmet , he never had a thigh guard or an arm guard , no chest protection was available , and his gloves were more like todays inners , but they only covered the knuckles & palm.

Now the pitches were uncovered , ifit rained they became a nightmare , a batsman had to worry about the prospect of a short pitched delivery shooting along the ground & bowling him , so he couldnt duck under it , likewise full deliveries could pop up , so he couldnt confidently play forward.

Now imagine a more accurate version of Shoaib bowling 5 bouncers per over with 7 men in short on the leg side.

How do you reckon you're beloved Sachin Tendulkar would have faired then Amits ??

The Don is #1 , thats not going to change.

iamdavid

International Debutant
PY said:
That's an outrageous claim, it'd have to be a pearler to beat some of the drivel that's been posted before. :D
Read it , you wont find any worse.

I think he may have equalled if not surpassed it with his next post though.

Neil , an you ban someone for stupidity/arrogance ??

Craig

World Traveller
I am the only one to vote for George Headley.

IMO he is the West Indies greatest ever batsmen. He preformed at a time when WI were the Zimbabwe of the 30s and quite rightly desvered to average over 60.

He played 22 Test and scored 10 Test 100s and four 50s with a top score of 270 and scored runs against England at Lords, scoring a century in each innings on a couple of occasions and scored a ton in his Test debut.

He is the father of Ron Headley who played for WI and his grandson Dean played for England. The first father-son-grandson to play Test cricket.

Sir Jack Hobbs was also a pretty extornary batsman. He scored 98 FC 100s over the age of 40!:O :O

Also another great player. It is said perhaps only Greame Hick has a chance of getting anywhere near him if he plays into his 40s.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Amits, if your going to look at averages, look at them properly... Matty Haydens test average is higer than sachins, and he also holds the record for most runs- but nobody is rating him higher than bradman. Grow a brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.