• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is running out the non-striker when he's backing up "against the spirit of the game"?

Running out a backing up non-striker is:

• Total voters

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's one of those things where your opinion is coloured by whether you like the team that did it or that was affected by it. Actually that's the deal with anything to do with gamesmanship in general.
No, it isn't. I hate Surrey and Somerset are one of my preferred teams, and I'm thoroughly on the side of Kartik here.

It's worth noting that the ICC revision to the "delivery stride" - i.e. allowing a run out to happen at any stage before the end of the delivery swing - applies in the LV Championship as well. A good summary from MCC here.

Fact remains that Barrow's just been thick.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
No, it isn't. I hate Surrey and Somerset are one of my preferred teams, and I'm thoroughly on the side of Kartik here.

It's worth noting that the ICC revision to the "delivery stride" - i.e. allowing a run out to happen at any stage before the end of the delivery swing - applies in the LV Championship as well. A good summary from MCC here.

tbh you are one of the more rational people out there though.

That being said, even the purveyors of the hilarious 'Slurrey' tag haven't bagged Kartik on this thread, so maybe you're right.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
tbh you are one of the more rational people out there though.

That being said, even the purveyors of the hilarious 'Slurrey' tag haven't bagged Kartik on this thread, so maybe you're right.
I'm with Neil - Somerset fan, dislike Surrey, completely with Kartik in this case.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Surrey and Somerset are two different sides? :ph34r:

Yeah, and it doesn't hold true for everyone obv. But often you see these things being debated to death and sides are taken based on which team did what. I find that pretty boring.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
wowzaa...so you do agree that because of one or 2 ****heads who blow themselves up you don't blame the whole community..
Yes I do agree, as does everyone with at least one brain cell.

With respect, you chose a fairly weird way to make a blindingly obvious point.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What about appealing when someone hits a ball hard, the bowler tries to field a shot, but it goes through his fingers and it hits the stumps and the non striker is run out? Is that OK?
Given it probably runs a bloke out you've been saying is cheating for backing up too far, I'd say you'd be all for it :happy:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cheating? I don't think I used that word at all. Cheating would be breaking the rules of the game. The player is trying to gain an advantage, an advantage which is completely allowed. I see it as the same as batting outside your crease. You do it because it may give you an advantage - that's not cheating, that's you making a decision to do something by weighing the risks and the benefits. The fielding side then has the option of stumping you.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Yeh, as is the case with many apparently controversial yet not very controversial at all when you think about it things, it's only an issue for a noisy 15% minority.

HeathDavisSpeed

Yeh, as is the case with many apparently controversial yet not very controversial at all when you think about it things, it's only an issue for a noisy 15% minority.
Are we talking running out the non-striker or the non-use of UDRS? :ph34r:

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've "mankaded" player before. I use quotation marks because they didn't go out as a result. The non-striker was walking way too early, and my mid-off told me about it. So saw him leave his crease before I reached my delivery stride and it was easy enough to whip the bails off because I'm a spinner. The law of the league I was playing in was the first time you actually whipped the bails off constituted a warning. So he got the warning, and I had no qualms although my coach wasn't as impressed.

Son Of Coco

Cheating? I don't think I used that word at all. Cheating would be breaking the rules of the game. The player is trying to gain an advantage, an advantage which is completely allowed. I see it as the same as batting outside your crease. You do it because it may give you an advantage - that's not cheating, that's you making a decision to do something by weighing the risks and the benefits. The fielding side then has the option of stumping you.
I may have taken liberties with what you actually said :ph34r:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's against the spirit to be taking unfair advantage of leniency of the bowling team and step out of the crease, if anything.