• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Retires From Cricket

Stumpcam

U19 Captain
Family pressure coupled with the disappointment of the series loss to South Africa perhaps? He has a young family and probably has been heavily influenced by his partner and his young kids. I don't blame him if that is the case.

As a batsman he's been a bit of a liability for a long time, but by all accounts he's a skilled and deeply respected captain. A position I expect Cook to attain after a relatively short time.

I hope Cook can regain his top form while the burden of being Captain bears down on his shoulders.

DJellett

International Debutant
Was on the cards the slightest bit, but still a relative shock. Any talk of who will take the captaincy? Prior, Cook, Trott perhaps?

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmmm, I suppose once you hit 35 other things become more important (young family etc). He obviously didn't want to trudge to India for a long and exhausting series in the heat (and another potential defeat).

Good captain, will be missed.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame for him to go out like this with the whole KP crap going on but really he has achieved an awful lot, 100 tests, 7000 runs and over 20 tons as well as leading England to what I will remember as one of our greatest victories.

Always wanted him to stay until after the back to back ashes but we all know his performances were a big concern, that batting lineup has an awful lot of holes in it now though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bit of a sad one, but he's had a good spell at the top. Probably the right time to go really. He really didn't seem like the player he was several years ago, so it's probably the right time to give Cook a crack at putting his stamp on the team. Probably paves the way for a Pietersen return too.

Will be missed though, has been a good servant and I don't think anyone could question his passion or committment to the cause. Was always obviously very passionate about representing England, and came up big when it mattered a number of times. Will have several fond memories.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Very sad about this, we've had success like I could never have imagined growing up under Strauss. I reckon they'll struggle to find anyone to say anything bad about him as a bloke too, which in combination with the success is pretty good.

It's on the cards a bit with the batting, but interesting to note that he averaged just over 40 as captain, and Vaughan only 36.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really hope we don't get a Michael Vaughan style tearful press conference. That was really stomach churning.

Stiff upper lip and all that.

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Very sad about this, we've had success like I could never have imagined growing up under Strauss. I reckon they'll struggle to find anyone to say anything bad about him as a bloke too, which in combination with the success is pretty good.

It's on the cards a bit with the batting, but interesting to note that he averaged just over 40 as captain, and Vaughan only 36.
don't want to come across harsh but that is hardly brilliant. Smith is close to 50.

Anyway, He was what you guys needed. gave you lot some wonderful memories and he seems like a brilliant bloke.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Family pressure coupled with the disappointment of the series loss to South Africa perhaps? He has a young family and probably has been heavily influenced by his partner and his young kids. I don't blame him if that is the case.

As a batsman he's been a bit of a liability for a long time, but by all accounts he's a skilled and deeply respected captain. A position I expect Cook to attain after a relatively short time.

I hope Cook can regain his top form while the burden of being Captain bears down on his shoulders.
Was also a liability in the slips. Think his edge or even his eyes had gone about 2-3 years ago personally, doesn't take much when you don't have a lot else to fall back on.

He's done a lot English cricket, but now we are now at a stage where we are no. 2 or worse in all formats. We have a strong domestic structure and plenty of talent coming through and a strong coaching set up. We should be looking to go forward now and recapture the no. 1 spots and hold them for as long as possible.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Bit of a sad one, but he's had a good spell at the top. Probably the right time to go really. He really didn't seem like the player he was several years ago, so it's probably the right time to give Cook a crack at putting his stamp on the team. Probably paves the way for a Pietersen return too.

Will be missed though, has been a good servant and I don't think anyone could question his passion or committment to the cause. Was always obviously very passionate about representing England, and came up big when it mattered a number of times. Will have several fond memories.
The bloke whom many in the team may regard as having wrecked the closing stages of Strauss' captaincy?

Ruckus

International Captain
wow really shocked. Good luck to him though, was always one of the more tolerable Poms.