• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strauss Retires From Cricket

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was certainly surprised and saddened to hear this. What a great leader.

One of the little things that stands out to me about him is this on his profile page:
"Major teams: England, Middlesex, Northern Districts"

And he only played for ND in preparation for England's tour. So he was very much a one-team guy - something you don't see all that much of in this era. Admittedly T20 was never really his forte, so I guess the various leagues weren't really on his radar. But still.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played Straussy, three Ashes wins, two as Captain, went at the right time. Seems a decent chap too.

On his replacement, I can see them not being sure yet, take a few likely candidates on Tour, and see who adapts best to opening in India. Root and Compton should be in the squad IMHO, Compton cover for the middle-order too.

stumpski

International Captain
Trott moving up to open would be one option but we'd miss his solid presence at #3.

Shocked to see the news this afternoon. I thought Strauss might step down after the winter tours so that his successor would have a home series to start with.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Sad to see Strauss go still pretty good record as captain mind.

Not really comfortable with Trott opening though, just feels wrong.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Shocking and little disappointing. The guy lead England team to be the best team in the world after many decades. Should have stuck around for longer at a time when England has not had a great one year at the top.

All the best for his future, though. Hope to see him associated with cricket in some way.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Clearly knew what he was doing as skipper and was a fine batsman. Will be missed. Opening in Tests is bloody difficult and Strauss helped cement the opening partnership that helped bring England to the top. Will be very tough to replace, imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd hazard that the KP vs. Broad/Anderson/Swann division runs a bit deeper than KP vs. Strauss, tbh.
**** like that shouldn't matter, particularly when KP's done far more for England in the last 2 years than Swann has.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Trott moving up to open would be one option but we'd miss his solid presence at #3.

Shocked to see the news this afternoon. I thought Strauss might step down after the winter tours so that his successor would have a home series to start with.
Trott needs to pull the finger out tbh.

Jacknife

International Captain
Sad to see Straussy go, he's done a lot for the English game.

It's been quite a decline though these last couple of years, I had hoped after the WI series that he could find his feet again but alas it didn't happen.

On the subject of next i line, personally I'd like Root to get another year under him, don't think he's quite ready yet.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
By all accounts a fine gentleman. However not sure whether he deserved to play the number of tests he finally did with that kind of statistics as a batsman. His captaincy was solid although.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The right decision at the right time. If he'd waited until winter was done then Cook would have found himself in the same boat as Strauss prior to the 09 Ashes, and although that worked out just fine it was far from ideal.

Hard to imagine us without Strauss, can only think of about 7 Tests he's missed in the last 8 years or so. One away to Pakistan, three to Sri Lanka and the Bangladesh series. Six in fact. Probably some I'm forgetting but that's some feat.

He was part of two excellent England teams and two of our best opening partnerships. I loved the way he changed his game around 09-10 to provide more balance against Cook's approach. His time as ODI skipper was gun as well, showed that there was a lot of wasted potential there really, but the WC innings against India is right up there when it comes to England ODI innings.

Despite what the naysayers say, he fits what you would call the 'proper Englishman' stereotype and was evidently proud to lead his country. I was proud to have him as our captain and I will wax lyrical about him to any younger males in my bloodline in the future.

Thank you Strauss, enjoy the dog.

pat_b

Cricket Spectator
this is long overdue in my opinion. his batting form has been poor for the last few years save for a few hundreds against weaker teams. was prepared to cut him some slack whilst his captaincy was leading us to success but after this year and how poor we were in the winter and now at home against some actual tough opposition, i'm glad to see the back of him. We've had to go out batting knowing that we're carrying him because he wasn't scoring; if he wasn't captain he'd have been dropped long ago. good look to cook and hopefully the issue with pietersen will be resolved now and england will go on to great things again. love or hate the bloke, pietersen is the man to take to india; it's fair to say he has no bother on a slow indian pitch will all his runs in the ipl. :)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this is long overdue in my opinion. his batting form has been poor for the last few years save for a few hundreds against weaker teams. was prepared to cut him some slack whilst his captaincy was leading us to success but after this year and how poor we were in the winter and now at home against some actual tough opposition, i'm glad to see the back of him. We've had to go out batting knowing that we're carrying him because he wasn't scoring; if he wasn't captain he'd have been dropped long ago. good look to cook and hopefully the issue with pietersen will be resolved now and england will go on to great things again. love or hate the bloke, pietersen is the man to take to india; it's fair to say he has no bother on a slow indian pitch will all his runs in the ipl. :)
Enjoyed your song All Fired Up, Ms Benatar.

Meridio

International Regular
Got a bit of a surprise at lunch when I walked into a cafe and saw the press conference on the news. Been a good player for England - never a particularly stylish batsmen, but got the job done, and always seemed like a decent sort, except when he was scoring runs against NZ.

On a different note, I think this is the first player (that's had a long career) who's first and last tests I can clearly recall. As in, I vividly remember his first test (scored a century against us, bastard!) and obviously remember his last. And he's played a hundred tests in that time. Makes me feel old.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On a different note, I think this is the first player (that's had a long career) who's first and last tests I can clearly recall. As in, I vividly remember his first test (scored a century against us, bastard!) and obviously remember his last. And he's played a hundred tests in that time. Makes me feel old.
Yeah, same for me. I reckon I saw at least some of each and every one of those hundred Tests too. I've followed Strauss's entire international career in detail, as it's happened. Scary. I even remember creating him as a player on Cricket 2005 or whatever I was playing at the time.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was there for his debut, although didn't actually see him bat. He went late on the Friday (Hoggy came in as nightwatchman, IIRC) and I attended the Saturday. Seems like yesterday. Sigh.

A good, good man. Absolutely the captain England needed after the Pietersen debacle. Wouldn't say he was quite Douglas Jardine tactically, but like the great man he did get the cane out of the cupboard to give the crims a six-of-the-best, trousers-down British style thrashing in their own backyard and for that I'll always love the man.

Very decent batsman too with a wonderful cut shot and a very nice pull. Even developed a straight drive as the years went on, so was a chap who understood his own limits and tried to rectify them.

Vale Andy.