• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc vs Pattinson vs Cummins

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well i took your advice, and actually looked at last night's scorecard and well Patto's figures of 3/19 suggests he's a good OD player

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Red Rooster Legends Pack FTW.

All 3 bowlers can do a serviceable support bowler to the lion hearted Siddle.

They all have different qualities, I really hope the Starc vs Johnson comparisons end as TC said Starc's got more Reid about him. Currently, I would definitely play Pattinson in the Test team if one spot was up for grabs but the two NSW quicks have more upside about their bowling. I say this because I think Pattinson is almost the finished product already in the long format.

Ruckus

International Captain
for those who actually watched the entire thing, how did Patto actually end up with a bowling economy of around 2? Tight bowling, or just **** that could be left?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
for those who actually watched the entire thing, how did Patto actually end up with a bowling economy of around 2? Tight bowling, or just **** that could be left?
Genuinely flicking between each game that was on, and hardly watched Patto bowl.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I've only seen Cummins, and if any of the other two is going to be better than him I'm pretty ****ing scared for the future.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Ryan Harris has been ruled out of the Test Series against South Africa meaning one of the 3 bowlers this thread is about will most likely share the pace bowling duties with Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Starc has been impressing everyone in the shorter formats, but I would probably play Pattinson just ahead of him.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So Ryan Harris has been ruled out of the Test Series against South Africa meaning one of the 3 bowlers this thread is about will most likely share the pace bowling duties with Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Starc has been impressing everyone in the shorter formats, but I would probably play Pattinson just ahead of him.
If Cummins is fully fit, surely they'd be tempted to unleash him on SA?

2nd Test: South Africa v Australia at Johannesburg, Nov 17-21, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wouldn't. Its actually pretty annoying Cummins is in the Australian squad at the moment. Would much rather him in the NSW setup seeing if he can last a few games in a row without getting injured.

Himannv

International Coach
Haven't been following too much of Australian cricket recently. How do people rank these guys in the ODI setup? Also are there bowlers people would pick ahead of these three for ODIs?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't been following too much of Australian cricket recently. How do people rank these guys in the ODI setup? Also are there bowlers people would pick ahead of these three for ODIs?
Starc pretty comfortably in LO formats I think. I'd still have Patto over the other two for tests, despite him being a Victorian.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I rate Starc as our best limited overs bowler, by quite a distance. I personally wouldn't pick Patto for ODIs, but he'd be my first choice Test quick with Siddle and the 'Haus.

Test: Siddle, Hilf, Patto
ODI/T20: Starc, Cummins, ??? (given we're playing Watson, Christian, Hogg/Doherty and Maxwell as bowlers too)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cummins.

disagree re starc & johnson. left handedness is all they have in common
Yeah I agree, there's not that much that's similar between the two of them at all apart from which hand they bowl with. Starc has already shown he has more control than Johnson ever had/has/or will have in the future.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't. Its actually pretty annoying Cummins is in the Australian squad at the moment. Would much rather him in the NSW setup seeing if he can last a few games in a row without getting injured.
I don't have great faith that he can given his action. I haven't watched him in the last series mind, so it might have improved. Pattinson has a fantastic action, Starc not bad either.

Edit: Just watched Cummins vs NZ under 19's and it doesn't look that bad...

Last edited: